Grant Hill strikes again!

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by sunsfan1357, Jun 19, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Out for the season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0618/1570169.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Orlando Magic expect injury-plagued forward Grant Hill to miss the 2003-04 season because of his troublesome left ankle, the Orlando Sentinel reported in its Thursday editions.

Magic general manager John Gabriel told the paper it was "likely" the six-time NBA All-Star "will never play this coming season."

The Magic might apply for immediate salary-cap relief for Hill, who had extensive surgery performed on the ankle on March 18.

According to the Sentinel, a medical exception on Hill would be worth $4.8 million. If the NBA grants the team's request soon -- the Magic have until Oct. 1 to apply for a disabled players' exception -- that money could be available for the free-agent recruiting period beginning July 1.

The decision on whether the Magic will get the exception is strictly at the league's discretion. The NBA uses its own doctors to assess the medical evidence and determine whether a player may miss the entire season, the Sentinel reported.

Gabriel said Hill, who turns 31 on Oct. 5, does not plan on retiring. Gabriel was reluctant to elaborate because Hill has not made an announcement, the Sentinel reported.

Hill still wants to try to play late next season, while the team wants him to rest the entire campaign, a team source told the Sentinel. Neither Hill nor his agent Lon Babby was available for comment.

Hill's official Web site www.granthill.com maintains a news release dated March 18, the day of his surgery. The report quotes Dr. James Nunley saying he saw no reason Hill could not play basketball again. But the doctor did not indicate a time-frame for the forward's return.

The Sentinel reported that as of June 17, Hill was still using crutches. The paper quoted his personal trainer, Vinnie Hudson, as saying Hill was in the midst of light rehab on the ankle. "We're in the beginning parts, starting with range of motion. No walking or running," Hudson said.

Hudson had "no idea" whether Hill could play this season. The surgery in March was Hill's fourth on his left ankle.

The former Duke star was acquired in an Aug. 3, 2000 sign-and-trade deal with the Detroit Pistons in exchange for forward Ben Wallace and center Chucky Atkins. Hill has played just 47 games since signing a seven-year, $92.88 million contract that summer. </div>

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

does this mean the magic get the injured player exemption to free up cap space?

3. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

someone donate him a damn ankle... this is just pathetic now...

4. Ghost

Ghost BBW Member

5. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

jeez....will he just retire....

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Glad we got rid of him when we did...

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">does this mean the magic get the injured player exemption to free up cap space?</div>

yeah, we get a 4.8 million exception that we can use in a trade or to sign a free agent. so the magic if we get it we would have a 1.2 low exception, 4.5 mid level exception, and 4.8 injury exception. so we can sign 2 pretty good free agents for the mid level instead of just 1 like other teams.

i wish he'd just retire too. and get a buyout.

8. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

okay this is getting old now.. dammit just stop while you are ahead, is it cuz tamia wont love you if you quit.. hell i will lol

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

dee grant hill isn't ahead now. so he's trying to get ahead, so he can quit.

10. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

I feel you there but, dang we all know hes not gonna get better, just retire now, while at least you got some love...

11. jbbSkip

jbbSkip JBB JustBBall Member

All I gotta say is... I feel sorry for him.

This has gone far enough. This is to the point you can't hate him anymo for being an injury prone... this is to the point like.. that's just it, give up now, retire.

Damn, what a waste of talent...

12. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

whoa. that sucks. they pay him all that money and he's only played over a half a season. he really should retire, before we remember him for his damn ankle

13. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I got 1 word of advice for him : RETIRE

14. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

DAMN!!!!!! this sucks

15. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Grant Hill is so good, damn, i wanted him to play next season, he would be the difference to get to the second round. *along with tmac of course.

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

"Hill left his good legs in detroit..and they never followed him on the plane to orlando...rumours has it they were stolen by tony parker....NBA reported thursday..."

17. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">"Hill left his good legs in detroit..and they never followed him on the plane to orlando...rumours has it they were stolen by tony parker....NBA reported thursday..."</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG] poor grant hill, i hope he plays again.

18. GatorsowntheNCAA

i'm hoping hill rests for a full season and 2 offseasons and it will heal by the 04-05 season. then he can be back and play a full season for us. if not, then he should opt out of his deal, since that's the opt out year on his contract.

19. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Skip":</div><div class="quote_post">All I gotta say is... I feel sorry for him.

This has gone far enough. This is to the point you can't hate him anymo for being an injury prone... this is to the point like.. that's just it, give up now, retire.

Damn, what a waste of talent...</div>

Oh yea me too... Im so sorry he gets pain MILLIONS to not do anything and just sit around...

20. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "purehoops":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "Skip":</div><div class="quote_post">All I gotta say is... I feel sorry for him.

Damn, what a waste of talent...</div>

Oh yea me too... Im so sorry he gets pain MILLIONS to not do anything and just sit around...</div>

he's not like that. he wouldn't sit and not do anything. he's a very classy guy. he would be out their playing if he could.