Grant Hill's father thinks son will play

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by vinsanity03, Jun 27, 2003.

1. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DALLAS -- Although the Orlando Magic have taken steps indicating Grant Hill might miss next season, his father said Thursday that the former All-Star could be back this fall -- and better than he's been in years.

"I expect him to not only be capable of playing, but capable of playing at the level that he's played before,'' said Calvin Hill, a former All-Pro in football.

Grant Hill is recovering from surgery on his left ankle in March -- the fourth operation he's had to correct a stress fracture since he signed a $93 million, seven-year contract with Orlando in August 2000. He initially hurt the foot earlier that year while playing for Detroit.

Foot injuries have limited him to 47 games with the Magic. He played 29 this past season before going on the injured list in January.

Calvin Hill said he's optimistic because doctors believe they've finally addressed the root of the problem. This time, his heel was reshaped to realign his left leg. A steel plate was inserted for reinforcement, and three screws from previous procedures and some bone were removed.

"This is the first operation where they gave him a reason why his foot kept stressing,'' said Calvin Hill, who on Thursday gave the keynote address at the annual convention of the Associated Press Sports Editors. "He saw several doctors who came up with the same opinion that what he had was a structural problem and that the fracture itself was a symptom of the structural problem.''

Orlando recently contacted the NBA seeking a medical exemption on Hill that could provide up to $4.8 million relief under the salary cap. The request stirred speculation that the 30-year-old forward's season -- or even career -- could be in jeopardy.

"Since about two weeks ago, everybody's been coming up to me and saying, `I'm sorry Grant's career is over.' I don't react to it except to say he's doing fine. He just had a checkup last week and he's right on time,'' Hill said.

Calvin Hill said he hasn't talked to the Magic about the request. He wouldn't say what his son thinks of it.

"He's just focusing on getting well,'' Hill said, smiling. "When will he be ready? I don't know. But there's nothing to indicate that he won't be able to play again.''

The Magic have until Oct. 1 to apply for the medical exception, but would want the money sooner to try luring free agents. The signing period begins July 1.
    </div>

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0626/1573231.html

2. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

i would hope so but if he plays he better play the whole season or most of it.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Just retire damn...it's getting as old as MJ when he kept coming back from the retirement home...

4. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Good news, i really hope he can play again..

5. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

Who cares anymore, he is not the same player, never will be. I feel sorry for him, but it's over Grant, go home.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

he would hurt the franchise if he played next season. they need is injury exception to get a good free agent. he should take off the entire year and heal correctly. and then evaluate if returning is a good idea or not.

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "shapecity":</div><div class="quote_post">he would hurt the franchise if he played next season. they need is injury exception to get a good free agent. he should take off the entire year and heal correctly. and then evaluate if returning is a good idea or not.</div>

exactly my feelings for this, very well said shape.