OT Grills, Smokers, & Cooking Machines

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Apr 3, 2022.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I have a kamado-style Vision grill and a Camp Chef pellet smoker (although, I need to do some cleanout repair on the auger).

I enjoy both of them for various purposes. Steaks, burgers, spatchcock chicken generally go on the kamado. Brisket, butts, spatchcock chicken, ribs on the smoker.

Spatchcock chicken on the grill or smoker is one of my faves. Super easy and tasty. Perfect with a plate of mashed taters and green peas.

Any grilling/smoking aficionados in here? What are your specialties? I remember @MickZagger sharing some of his brisket smoking tricks, but it's been awhile.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

I’m currently shopping for a propane flat top grill. Probably go with a Blackstone or Camp Chef, one of the local stores sell Pit Boss but they are kind of stupid and gaudy looking, and I want cast iron instead of enamel coating.
    I’ve been watching a lot of videos and realizing how much you can actually do on them. I’m most excited about hibachi, smash burgers and breakfast, but it seems the possibilities are endless. And being able to cook the greasier meals outside of the kitchen is huge plus for cleanup.
    Smokers are awesome, but after my buddy next door got one and we’ve eaten from it like a hundred times I’ve noticed the smoke flavor does eventually lose its luster and the device gets relegated to special occasion status. They are still awesome though even for that purpose. I’m thinking since nearly everyone I know has smokers (that’s kind of been a big trend last few years) I’d try something different.

Anyone got any flat top experience?

ABM and RR7 like this.
  3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I got my indoor flat top from this company and absolutely love cooking on it. They sell an outdoor griddle like the Blackstone, but they also make flat tops that you can just put on top of your grill, so you can get the best of both.

https://steelmadeusa.com/collection...s/outdoor-cooking-base?variant=40480916635821

Hoopguru and jonnyboy like this.
  4. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

We have and love our Traeger. But I enjoy our schwenker. I enjoy cooking on an open flame.

5. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I don’t have actual experience cooking on them, but the local hardware store I recently had a PT gig at prided itself on being “BBQ Central”. From observation and feedback, the Pit Boss is pretty much as you described it…..and an absolute bitch to put together. Nothing ever seemed to line up (We put them together….and delivered them…….as part of the sales pitch). But then, that’s a problem with most brands. We sold several of the Blackstone flat top grills (oddly enough to food truck operators) and got very good feedback. They seem to be the ticket when you’re feeding a crowd……but it’s mind boggling what a decent BBQ costs these days……but based on what I saw, Blackstone beats Pit Boss all to hell. No idea about Camp Chef……

jonnyboy and Hoopguru like this.
  6. jonnyboy

Those are sweet, something like that is way more my style. I’m all about simplicity when it comes to things that need to be well built. Plastic knobs, nooks and crannies are just a pain when your messing with grease and smoke. You could probably pressure wash that thing and not worry about fucking it up.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my stove top one is super heavy duty. Weighs like 35 pounds, and is just a thick cast iron pan, basically.

8. jonnyboy

That was my gut feeling about the Pit Boss after inspecting it some. Good to know the food truck guys opinions on the Blackstone also, that’s a sales pitch that speaks for itself.
    Great info here man, thanks!

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  9. jonnyboy

I honestly considered just building one. I could pretty easily do most of it as far as welding the base and plumbing the gas lines, but I want the flat top to be either cast or stainless, and free from imperfections. The flat top itself would be beyond my capabilities.

RR7 likes this.
  10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Griddle in action:

[​IMG]

11. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I got a Traeger about 10 years ago and it’s the bomb. Never had any problems with it, but I’m super anal about cleaning it out after about every 5 smokes. I cook a lot more on it in the summer months but still use it in the winter for steaks and a prime rib during the holidays.

Smoking meat with a good adult beverage is one of my favorite hobbies. I got a local meat market called Mayer’s that I frequent often for the top notch cuts.

12. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I’m thinking about getting a black stone griddle. I’ve heard great things and I like doing big greasy breakfast on the weekends

UncleCliffy'sDaddy and RR7 like this.
  13. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Dude, my brother-in-law has a flat top and does amazing things with it! His smash burgers are to freakin' die for! Smashes the burgers, grills the onions, toasts the buns, melts the cheese over the burgers. The whole deal. It's a heavenly outdoor experience to say the least.

jonnyboy likes this.
  14. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    I hear ya. What made me actually think of this thread was watching this vid (Sam rocks great cooking vids!). Seems too bells & whistles to me, though.

jonnyboy likes this.
  15. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Blackstones are awesome. I don't have as much space at our new place, so was thinking portable. This one looks pretty nice. It's currently 20% off (Now $159)

BigGameDamian likes this.
  16. jonnyboy

I just picked up a Blackstone, they had them at Ace Hardware and my impatience got the best of me. Was going to be frugal and get the smaller one but ended up saying fuck it and getting the 36” four burner. They had the top of the line one with built in air fryers for $1000 more, but that’s a little over the top for me.

Got skirt steaks and chicken marinating. Gonna have neighbors over for fajitas to break it in.

17. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Don't know what the Blackstone says. I know that my flat top said to cook something greasy like bacon to start off with, to kind of season the top.

18. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Wow, nice!!

I hear Blackstone's are better than Kreskin's any day.

19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

We expect a full report once the dishes are done and put away…….

jonnyboy and SlyPokerDog like this.
  20. jonnyboy

Yea I fired it up real hot for 20 minutes to burn off any sticker residue, etc. then cleaned and seasoned it before cooking.