Grizzlies/Spurs Playoff Series

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by Voodoo Child, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Game 1: Grizzlies @ Spurs

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Season Series

Memphis - 3, Spurs - 1

11.3.03: Grizzlies 88, Spurs 80
    12.15.04: Spurs 78, Nuggets 67
    3.1.04: Grizzlies 81, Spurs 80
    3.9.04: Grizzlies 94, Spurs 88

Final Records

Spurs 57-25 (.695) 3rd West
    Grizzlies 50-32 (.610) 6th West

Series Outlook:

April 17th - Today - ESPN - @ San Antonio
    April 19th - Monday - TNT - @ San Antonio
    April 22nd - Thursday - TNT - @ Memphis
    April 25th - Sunday - TNT - @ Memphis
    If necessary April 28th - Wednesday - TBD - @ San Antonio
    If necessary May 1st - Saturday - TBD - @ Memphis
    If necessary May 3rd - Monday - TBD - @ San Antonio

Probable Starting Lineups

<u>Backcourt</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Jason Williams/Tony Parker
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Mike Miller/Hedo Turkoglu

<u>Frontcourt</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] James Posey/Bruce Bowen
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Pau Gasol/Tim Duncan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Jake Tsakalidis/Rasho Nesterovic

<u>Sixth Men</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Bonzi Wells/Emanuel Ginobili

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

<u>Memphis? Statistical Leaders</u>
    PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7
    APG - Jason Williams - 6.8

<u>San Antonio's Statistical Leaders</u>
    PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jason Williams and Tony Parker - This is the most important matchup of the series, according to Grizzlies? analysts. Jason Williams is one of five players on the team that has playoff experience (J.Williams, M.Miller, Outlaw, Tskalidas, Wright). Jason Williams is the floor general, and it?s up to him to set the tempo of the game. When Jason Williams doesn?t play well, we lose. That?s almost always the case.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

James Posey and Bruce Bowen - Both of these wingmen are of the top twenty defensive players in the league. Both of them play somewhat dirty, scrappy, and intensely. You could see some real heated tension and maybe a scuffle or two. It?ll be a defensive war. However, I have to favor James Posey in this matchup. He has the stronger offensive side.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan - You just might see Wright guarding Duncan on defense, but that?s beside the point. These two players are widely regarded as the best on their teams, and they lead their teams in points and rebounds. It?ll be interesting to see how this matchup ends up, because they both play different styles of games.

<u>Keys to the series</u>

Grizzlies

- Get fastbreak points. The Grizzlies win when they take their game to the fastbreak.
    - Contain Duncan. This is one of the biggest cliche?s ever, but it?s a key.
    - Spread the love. The Grizzlies win with great ball distribution. Good luck J-Will.

Spurs

- Endurance. The Grizzlies can go 10 deep, and it wears a lot of teams out.
    - Pressure Gasol downlow. Another cliche, but another key.
    - Don?t make stupid mistakes. They obviously have the advantage, they just need to stay away from stupid mistakes.

Wave's take

I am not going to pick against the Grizzlies in their first playoff game ever.

Grizzlies 100
    Spurs 96

2. Voodoo Child

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Season Series

Memphis - 3, Spurs - 1

Final Records

Series Outlook:

<u>Backcourt</u>

<u>Frontcourt</u>

<u>Sixth Men</u>

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7

PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jason Williams and Tony Parker - This is the most important matchup of the series, according to Grizzlies? analysts. Jason Williams is one of five players on the team that has playoff experience (J.Williams, M.Miller, Outlaw, Tskalidas, Wright). Jason Williams is the floor general, and it?s up to him to set the tempo of the game. When Jason Williams doesn?t play well, we lose. That?s almost always the case.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

James Posey and Bruce Bowen - Both of these wingmen are of the top twenty defensive players in the league. Both of them play somewhat dirty, scrappy, and intensely. You could see some real heated tension and maybe a scuffle or two. It?ll be a defensive war. However, I have to favor James Posey in this matchup. He has the stronger offensive side.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pau Gasol and Tim Duncan - You just might see Wright guarding Duncan on defense, but that?s beside the point. These two players are widely regarded as the best on their teams, and they lead their teams in points and rebounds. It?ll be interesting to see how this matchup ends up, because they both play different styles of games.

Grizzlies

- Get fastbreak points. The Grizzlies win when they take their game to the fastbreak.
    - Spread the love. The Grizzlies win with great ball distribution. Good luck J-Will.

Spurs

- Don?t make stupid mistakes. They obviously have the advantage, they just need to stay away from stupid mistakes.

Wave's take

Grizzlies 100
    Spurs 96

3. Voodoo Child

[​IMG] @ [​IMG]

Season Series

Memphis - 3, Spurs - 1

Final Records

Series Outlook:

<u>Backcourt</u>

<u>Frontcourt</u>

<u>Sixth Men</u>

Injury Update

Memphis Grizzlies
    N/A

San Antonio Spurs
    N/A

PPG - Pau Gasol - 17.7
    RPG - Pau Gasol - 7.7

PPG - Tim Duncan - 22.3
    RPG - Tim Duncan - 12.4
    APG - Tony Parker - 5.5

Key Matchups

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Grizzlies

Spurs

Wave's take

Grizzlies 100
    Spurs 96

4. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Alright, I'm ready for this series to get started and see if this Grizz team is for real. What better way to make a name for yourself than beating the defending champions and advancing in their first playoff appearance in franchise history.

With that said, I don't believe there is any way the Spurs lose in this first round to an unexperienced team. The Spurs are a group of veterans and they all know what it takes to win a championship. They are the hottest team in the NBA. If they put the Grizz down 2-0, this series will be over in 4 or 5 at the most.

5. Rudeezy

Alright, I'm ready for this series to get started and see if this Grizz team is for real. What better way to make a name for yourself than beating the defending champions and advancing in their first playoff appearance in franchise history.

With that said, I don't believe there is any way the Spurs lose in this first round to an unexperienced team. The Spurs are a group of veterans and they all know what it takes to win a championship. They are the hottest team in the NBA. If they put the Grizz down 2-0, this series will be over in 4 or 5 at the most.

6. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

Oh man I am so excited for this game, just to be following this team for the last 3 years and how far they have come is just hard to put into words. I had a dream last night that I missed the game and didn't watch oooooooh I was so happy when I woke up lol. GO GRIZZ. Prediction: I am just gonna sit and watch.

7. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jwill2:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh man I am so excited for this game, just to be following this team for the last 3 years and how far they have come is just hard to put into words. I had a dream last night that I missed the game and didn't watch oooooooh I was so happy when I woke up lol. GO GRIZZ. Prediction: I am just gonna sit and watch.</div>

Those seem to be the sentiments of everyone who has followed the team through the struggle. Even if they get blown out, it'll be fun to watch. During the postseason, I'm used to latching onto another team that I wouldn't mind seeing win the title. It's surreal to see the Grizzlies in the mix. They've come this far; they won't give up now. Also, people have been talking about the Knicks-Nets series and how it's Marbury's chance to become one of the elite point guards, but I think that the Grizzlies' games will be just as important for Jason Williams. With little media exposure over the last three years, Jason Williams hasn't been respected as one of the league's best point guards like he should. Maybe he'll be one of those players that everyone's talking about tomorrow.

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    The Grizzlies' play of recent has been really shaky and the Spurs are on a roll, so it won't really be surprising if the Grizzlies lose and Spurs win.

San Antonio by 7.

9. jbbTD21

jbbTD21 JBB JustBBall Member

Wave, 100-96 are too much points when Spurs are playing. I?ll say 95-82 for the Spurs, Duncan is too much Duncan.

10. michelle06

michelle06 JBB

ahh spurs by 20

11. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Spurs are just to much for the Grizzlies so far. Spurs 77 - Grizzlies 55 win 8:56 left in the 4th. Duncan is setting a great example for the rest of the Spurs, and can't be stopped.

12. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

Yeah this is the biggest blowout of the day. 81-58 with 6:55 left in the game. Bad start for the Grizzlies in their first ever playoff appearence.

13. kathleen

kathleen JBB JustBBall Member

I can't believe the Grizzlies lost by 24. Hopefully they can bounce back in Game 2!!

14. Ezra

Ezra JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah. That was pretty bad.

8 years in the making... it was kind of surreal.

15. Rudeezy

The Spurs made a statement today, they are the defending champions and they are not going to let a first year playoff team strip them from their second championship in as many years. The Spurs absolutely crushed the Grizz tonight.

The Spurs have not only taken a 1-0 lead in the series but have stripped the Grizz of any confidence they may have had coming into this series. What a statement from the defending champions.

16. Rudeezy

There is no doubt that the Spurs are going to dominate this series but that should not take anything away from what the Grizz have been able to accomplish this year. They have suprised many and have completely turned this franchise around.

The Spurs are the defending champions and made an obvious statement tonight, they are the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS.

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">There is no doubt that the Spurs are going to dominate this series but that should not take anything away from what the Grizz have been able to accomplish this year. They have suprised many and have completely turned this franchise around.

The Spurs are the defending champions and made an obvious statement tonight, they are the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS.</div>

The Spurs won, but it was the Grizzlies' first playoff game! Saying that the Spurs will dominate the series is a stretch. I think that the Grizz have a chance to take both games at home. Anyway, what killed us aside of our poor FG% was Pau Gasol. Pau never shot the ball! He was like Marbury was in the second half of the Knicks game. Anyway, I'll put up a preview tomorrow for the second game.

[​IMG]

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">The Spurs made a statement today, they are the defending champions and they are not going to let a first year playoff team strip them from their second championship in as many years. The Spurs absolutely crushed the Grizz tonight.

The Spurs have not only taken a 1-0 lead in the series but have stripped the Grizz of any confidence they may have had coming into this series. What a statement from the defending champions.</div>

Wow, you do not understand the Grizzlies at all. They're not like your Warriors that couldn't even get a good shot at making the playoffs; they're a lot better than that. The Spurs didn't make a "statement". From the start, the Grizzlies were nervous. It was obvious that the Spurs were playing well, but just look at the Grizzlie's shooting throughout the first-half. It was down in the 20-30% range. Mike Miller was throwing up air balls, Pau Gasol wasn't shooting, and Jason Williams was making some stupid moves. The team was obviously shaken. Bonzi Wells played the best, but if you look at the numbers you'll find that Wells has more experience in the playoffs than any other Grizzlie. Hell, Tim Duncan almost has more playoff games under his belt than the entire team combined. That's why it comes down to experience. The Grizzlies chalked this up to experience. They now know what to expect. This was not the same team that won 50 games during the regular season. I believe 100% that Hubie Brown will give them confidence for the upcoming game. One win can be a huge momentum builder. The only thing they need to keep in mind is that if they get that first win, they shouldn't celebrate like there's no tomorrow. A lot of times you'll see teams get that first win, but they don't realize they'll still have to get a second, third, and fourth to win.

[​IMG]

19. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    It was the Grizzlies' first playoff game and they showed it, and the fact that most of their players do not have much playoff experience didn't help either. They might as well just play like it's their last game and bring a fight to the Spurs. Wave, you've gotta admit that the Spurs can beat the Grizzlies in a 7-game series, and it showed last night. At least my Rockets didn't get blown out.....[​IMG]

20. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">It was the Grizzlies' first playoff game and they showed it, and the fact that most of their players do not have much playoff experience didn't help either. They might as well just play like it's their last game and bring a fight to the Spurs. Wave, you've gotta admit that the Spurs can beat the Grizzlies in a 7-game series, and it showed last night. At least my Rockets didn't get blown out.....[​IMG]</div>

Did I ever say they couldn't get beat in a 7 game series? I just said I think they'll win. Anyway, a loss is a loss. The Grizzlies didn't get more of a loss than the Rockets did.