Growing the Warriors forum, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Custodianrules2, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I know there's some stretches where we don't have too many posters, but a ton of lurkers. There's definitely periods where the forum has anywhere from 3 to 10 guests at any given time, but few active members it seems like.

Here's my thought: I think as the popularity of the forum grows and we gain active users, the diversity of opinion might go up, but the quality of the forums might tend to get watered down some by the users who don't really add much to the forum other than typing up only single sentence posts, that nobody can relate to or that fail to enlighten others who don't know the game or the team that well. Sometimes it is often unerving to deal with some extremely ridiculous comments that suddenly gain praise because the majority are sports fans that really don't know better. Like the "are you guys all idiots?" kind of reaction (I don't know if I'm even doing this, but I hope not. I don't want to seem hypocritical and I don't want to come off sounding like I'm arrogant and have an inferiority complex). I guess I'm saying is I'm glad we have the sensible types that are full of facts and are quick to point out anything misleading if a misleading topic or post were to suddenly gain a lot of influence within the thread.

It's like on other sites, it is often the loudest, most numerable of two sides of an extreme that end up getting the most attention in an otherwise low depth conversation about the future of the franchise. I think, in most cases regarding the speculation of the team and players, it's the middle ground that seems to be lacking in a discussion that points out the facts, excercises reason, compromise and offers a fair asessment. Other times, I think plainly most fans don't know any better to reallly judge well for themselves? I think here, even though we have a smaller group, we're able to compromise and be sensible and everyone knows what they're talking about whether the opinions differ. That in my opinion, makes for better discussion than what other diehard Warrior forums lack.

Does anybody agree? I would love to get even more quality users to the group that know what they are talking about and can teach what they know, sort of like the group of fans we have now. But, I would hate to do it in a way that screws up our group's quality and drowns out people that know better about the sport and the team.

2. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I'd just say let it go. Moderate the forum to weed out the trolls and we will be fine...

3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    once the season starts back up, we'll see more action probably. With the front office being so quiet, it's tough to really say anything new.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

True that. It's the offseason. Thanks for the feedback, guys.