Gullit excited by challenge of guiding LA Galaxy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CelticKing, Nov 10, 2007.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Gullit excited by challenge of guiding LA Galaxy</p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Former Dutch football star Ruud Gullit was introduced as coach of the Los Angeles Galaxy, joining English star David Beckham in trying to lift the struggling team into a world-class squad.

The Galaxy, with Beckham arriving at mid-season but struggling due to ankle and knee injuries, went 9-14 with seven drawn this year, missing the Major League Soccer playoffs for the second year in a row.

Pressure will be mighty for midfielder Beckham, who signed a blockbuster deal to leave Real Madrid for the Galaxy, and veteran manager Gullit to turn the Galaxy into a team worthy of the worldwide attention they bring.

"I have always looked to take on important challenges and the opportunity to manage the LA Galaxy is an exciting opportunity at this stage in my career," Gullit said.

"The MLS is making great progress at building upon the popularity of the game in the United States and I want to play a major part in both bringing the club honors and helping to raise the profile of the game at home and on the world stage."

Gullit, 45, was a two-time World Footballer of the Year and a European Footballer of the Year whose career saw him play for AC Milan, Chelsea, Sampdoria, Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven.

The Dutchman coined the phrase "sexy football" as a commentator for the BBC during the 1998 European Championships. That's what the Galaxy will play with Beckham, whose US appeal is more for his fame than his football.

Galaxy president Alexi Lalas is counting on Gullit to created successful football.

"We wanted a strong personality, someone with confidence, someone with leadership," Lalas said. "In Ruud Gullit, I think we have found our man."

Also announced was the appointment for former Galaxy player Cobi Jones as an assistant coach.</div></p>

2. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

<font face="Arial" size="2">is LA galaxy attracting evryone there</font></p>

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Hopefully they are, but by making Gullit the coach they're doing it the right way.</p>

Lets hope Figo makes the switch, and then Henry follows him. [​IMG]</p>

4. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

<font face="Arial" size="2">yea l.a galaxy v everyone</font></p>