OT Hard to have a debate when the information is being skewed

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Natebishop3, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

How are we supposed to have an actual debate about a topic like gun control when there are organizations out there who are spreading misleading data?

They put out a number, like 18 school shootings in 2018, and that number spreads like wildfire because it's an attention grabber. Nobody fact checks it. Nobody verifies that it's true. They just run with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.9a358ad1d163

"Just five of Everytown’s 18 school shootings listed for 2018 happened during school hours and resulted in any physical injury. Three others appeared to be intentional shootings but did not hurt anyone. Two more involved guns — one carried by a school police officer and the other by a licensed peace officer who ran a college club — that were unintentionally fired and, again, led to no injuries. At least seven of Everytown’s 18 shootings took place outside normal school hours.

Shootings of any kind, of course, can be traumatic, regardless of whether they cause physical harm.

A month ago, for example, a group of college students were at a meeting of a criminal-justice club in Texas when a student accidentally fired a real gun, rather than a training weapon. The bullet went through a wall, then a window. Though no one was hurt, it left the student distraught.

Is that a school shooting, though? Yes, Everytown says.

“Since 2013,” the organization says on its website, “there have been nearly 300 school shootings in America — an average of about one a week.”

But since Everytown began its tracking, it has included these dubious examples — in August 2013, a man shot on a Tennessee high school’s property at 2 a.m.; in December 2014, a man shot in his car late one night and discovered the next day in a Pennsylvania elementary school’s parking lot; in August 2015, a man who climbed atop the roof of an empty Texas school on a Sunday morning and fired sporadically; in January 2016, a man in an Indiana high school parking lot whose gun accidentally went off in his glove box, before any students had arrived on campus; in December 2017, two teens in Washington state who shot up a high school just before midnight on New Year’s Eve, when the building was otherwise empty."

How are we supposed to have a debate about this topic while we have organizations spreading misinformation for their own purposes?

When you hear the term "school shooting," do you think of a guy killing himself on school property at 2 in the morning?

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-are-we-afraid-of-mass-shootings

Why Are We Afraid of Being a Victim of a Mass Shooting?

So how likely is it to die by a mass shooting or terrorist attack?

According to research by The Washington Post, 869 people have been killed in mass shootings in the United States since August 1, 1966.

This includes shootings in which four or more people were killed by one or two shooters. It excludes shootings related to gang violence, as well as those that started as other crimes or involved only the shooter’s family.

Those shootings are a small fraction of the overall number of gun-related deaths. In 2015, of the 25,000 gun-related injuries in the United Stated, 12,000 resulted in death.

Of those, 39 were from mass shootings.

The National Safety Council puts the lifetime risk of being killed in the United States by any assault with a firearm at 1 in 358.

The lifetime risk of dying in a mass shooting is around 1 in 110,154 — about the same chance of dying from a dog attack or legal execution.

There is a three times greater chance of dying from a sharp object than from a mass shooting. The chance of dying from lightning, though, is lower.

In fact, there are many more likely ways to die than in a mass shooting.

Heart disease and cancer are at the top — the risk of dying is 1 in 7. And even dying in a motor vehicle crash is higher — 1 in 113.

And what about terrorist attacks?

Another report by The Washington Post found that in the years following the Sept. 11, 2001 attack, the risk of dying in a terrorist incident is less than the risk of being killed by falling furniture or a TV.

BAN DOGS!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    And do not aim your air pistol at PapaG.

MARIS61 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    If you want to stop school shootings, provide security at the schools. Like the TSA does for airports.

Common sense solution.

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

So, nobody fact checks it, and then you link to where someone fact checked it?

barfo

riverman likes this.
  6. Natebishop3

Nobody who shares that stat seems to fact check it. I saw riverman share that stat in another thread.

MARIS61 and bodyman5000 and 1 like this.
  7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I mean that makes sense to me, I’d feel more comfortable sending my daughter to school if I knew there was a reliable and well trained security team in place.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The thing about providing security is you're going to keep the gangs out, too. And that'll vastly reduce shootings at schools, if not eliminate them altogether.

9. Natebishop3

We spent $598 billion on our military in 2015.

If that's defense spending, maybe we should use some of that "defense" to protect our schools?

10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

You prolly should clarify this.
    As unless you're going to call white nationalists a gang. Or the 15 year old who shot up his school in washinton... gang members... I'm not sure it applies.

So please clarify.

11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I think that is 100% a fair point.

MARIS61 and Natebishop3 like this.
  12. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

I think it’s pretty clear... adding security would have added benefits other than prevent mass school shootings.

Like reducing gang violence within schools, which exists largely.

Orion Bailey, MARIS61 and Natebishop3 like this.
  13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The TSA keeps everyone's guns and knives and explosives from getting on the plane where they can be used. Doesn't matter if they're white nationalists.

The anti constitution gun control nuts put forth data that suggests there are some massive number of shootings in schools this year already. Most are gang related. Garden variety gangs. The ones that spray paint their logos everywhere, control turf, deal drugs, commit violent crimes, etc.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ist-militia-tallahassee-leader-say/341751002/

Leon County law enforcement sources told the Tallahassee Democrat that they could not find information linking Cruz, 19, to the Republic of Florida Militia, as claimed by the group’s self-proclaimed leader Jordan Jereb.

His comments to the Anti-Defamation League and The Associated Press set off a media firestorm Thursday at about midday that Cruz was connected to the alt-right, white nationalist group.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Yes, adding security would help at schools pending every student enters from one door. But that doesn't always happen, especially at high schools.
    Which is a fine statement.

But this florida school shooting, nor the one up in Washington had nothing to do with gang violence. I bet I could keep going if I really wanted to....
    These kids had no involvement in gangs.
    Unless you're ready to call a white nationalist group a gang.(I'm not sure they should be qualified as such)

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I prefer to talk about issues that concern me without pasted polls, news articles, etc....the fakenews trend is now the debate...I've lived in a country with gun laws and one without....so I compare the experiences....I've been assaulted with handguns in America....I draw from that experience....early in the morning for me it's conversational...not debating the articles on the AP feed endlessly....I'm not selling my position on gun control...I'm disgusted when 17 high school kids get shot be a teenager .....I try to address it but don't always come to the conversation armed with pages of info to use as my opinion....because it's my opinion ...Denny loves to throw his library at me.....rather than the debate ping pong game...how about a conversation about how you actually feel about the situation....without making someone read your library or news clips....original thought..a dying form of communication

16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

That’s why a security TEAM is needed, to guard all unlocked accesses to the school.

And no one is saying the shooters were gangbangers... but a security team would help with the amount of kids getting jumped for stupid gang shit. A positive by product.

17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

18. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

And that's a completely fine thing to say.
    However that's not what denny said. Nor what he seems to be asserting.

He said security at schools will keep the gangs out and that will at the very least vastly reduce the amount of shootings at school.

I think that's a pretty dumb comment given most of these kids who shoot up schools aren't affiliated with gangs.
    Gang violence exists, but they're not the ones killing 18 people in florida.

19. Natebishop3

There's no such thing as original thought. Every thought has been thought before. Intelligent people use facts and evidence to support their thoughts and claims. Anecdotal evidence is weak at best.

Despite all the horrible news that we hear, violence is down. We are currently living in one of, if not the, safest times to be alive in human history. You wouldn't know it by watching the news though.

Denny Crane likes this.
  20. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Rosanne Barr and Mike Pence performing Swan Lake in the International Space Station while eating fried squirrel.

barfo

Chris Craig likes this.