OT Harlem Globetrotters petition Adam Silver to be an expansion franchise

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by riverman, Jun 23, 2021.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It's about time! Growing up in a state without a franchise I only had the Globetrotters for pro basketball entertainment as a kid growing up....took my son to see them in Eugene a few years ago...also they have a woman on the roster...they spread basketball around the globe more than anything in history...bring them on!! I was a huge Meadowlark Lemon fan as a young kid shooting baskets on a hoop tacked up to the side of our barn..they've been shooting half court shots for decades and making them...post your Globetrotter stories here!
    Harlem Globetrotters demand to become an official NBA franchise | khou.com

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hope this thread doesn't get lost in the OT section

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  3. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    If they were held to the same rules and stipulations (i.e., they can't just sign whoever they want), they would probably be among the worst in the league.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I completely disagree....HOF NBA stars have been Globetrotters....they can hoop...the traveling and palming the ball schtick is just schtick but there are always highly skilled players on the Globetrotters...some of the best shooters on the planet joing that team. They want to go legit...I say let them...talent is talent. Wilt Chamberlain was a Globetrotter and I've yet to see a ball handler like Meadow Lark Lemon in the NBA ever.....some of the greatest shooters and passers to play the game

5. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate

It would be close!!

upload_2021-6-23_15-26-9.jpeg

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

7. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I was joking. Wheel Blazers vs. HGT's

8. julius

singer songwriter
    Again, if they were held to the same rules and standards that the rest of the league is, they'd suck.

Where do they play?
    Who owns them?
    Who pays the payroll?
    They wouldn't get to pick whatever players they want, or have players specialize in certain trick shots that work against a team that is *purposely* full of crappy players.

They're an act.

Acting like players playing in the 70s has any indication on today's game is laughable.

Who on their team can defend LeBron? KD? Dame? Curry? Beal?

Who have they played in their exhibitions that are even remotely close to current NBA talent?

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you have a shallow view of their skill set that seems limited to the entertainment schtick they use...of course they are a comedy show but that has nothing to do with their skills as athletes...and Wilt Chamberlain could defend Lebron anyday...Meadow Lark Lemon could outplay most guys in the league.....the current team I don't know well enough to cite but they have a history of excellence. It's all good if you want to pigeonhole them as unqualified but as I said....we completely disagree about that end of the skillset...I've seen them shoot from Dame's range for decades...never ceases to amaze me....the passing is better than what most teams showcase in the league and if they didn't think they could stack up they wouldn't petition for an expansion team slot....I think they more than deserve it. People said the same crap about the Portland Mavericks baseball team and they kicked butt.....I see the Globetrotters doing the same thing...Fact is an acrobat in the Circus can probably excel as a stuntman in an action film...even though it's just the circus....that doesn't make them less elite

10. julius

singer songwriter
    Dude, they play scrubs. Of course they look good next to guys from YMCA leagues

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

These guys were hoopers long before they became Globetrotters.....every player in the NBA has played scrubs to get where they are..I have been a Globetrotter fan since I was a child...first games I ever saw and I've seen them alot. last time was about 5 years ago in Eugene and they had a woman on the team...the Generals had a lights out shooter from 35 ft.....guy didn't miss much at all....a Globetrotters game is like an allstar game...sure...but the talent translates. I'd love to see them play the Blazers more than I'd like to see the Wolves play the Blazers anyday

12. julius

singer songwriter
    The Globetrotters look so good because they play against guys who are significantly worse than they are.

There's a reason why "Skip to my Lou" was a mediocre NBA player (at best). There's also a reason why no globetrotter player has transitioned to the NBA since forever.

It's like when people say that the WNBA teams would beat a college team. They wouldn't.

There's a reason why if you put together a team full of Brian Scalibrini's, and they played the Washington Generals, they'd kill them, but if you built an NBA team with 12 Brian Scalibrinis, they'd suck ass.

If you put up the globetrotters plays against an NBA defense, and *actually* called fouls/travels/etc on them like they do the NBA players, their "advantage" all but disappears. It's like the "And 1" players never made it in the NBA.

When you can double dribble, travel, have hardly any fouls called on you during the process of the game, run plays that the other team *is playing an active role in*...well, let's just say that doesn't translate well.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This just tells me you haven't seen great players play on the Globetrotters...your examples are not based on the talent the Globetrotters get....I'm excited at the prospect of them getting a franchise.....you seem to be all about watering that down which doesn't click with my thoughts on this petition....I vote hell yes. And it has nothing to do with the WNBA either other than they have a woman on their roster. If you think my perspective is just like "people who say whatever about college or WNBA teams" then you miss my point entirely....I'm just going to assume you don't want them to get a franchise...personally, I do and think it's been a long time coming....if you think Meadow Lark Lemon was Brian Scallabrini...well...we're not talking about the same organization...Sacallabrini would have made the Washington Generals roster..

14. julius

singer songwriter
    Go ahead and believe that the Globetrotters, who have a guy who is 4'5" tall, can compete with the NBA teams and not be embarassed on a regular basis.

You're missing the point about Brian Scallabrini. Against scrubs, he looks like an all NBA player, but against NBA talent, he's nothing special.

They're an entertainment act. They don't play by the same rules that the NBA does. They aren't a legit team, which is why their point totals, %'s etc, don't get thrown around by anyone when it comes to talking stats.

There isn't a single player on the Globetrotters that would start in the NBA, because if they could, they would.

The fact that you think they'd even be able to compete with an actual NBA team is delusional. It's a gimmicked game.

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

talent has nothing to do with their act or it's stats...these guys can actually play...it's well documented...you're wrong about them not having talent that can start in the NBA but go ahead and see it that way...your loss ...it's not me that's delusional though...that's just snark julius to prop up your lack of interest in them as a franchise...in my view at least. The Globetrotters have played in over 220 countries globally...they have always found talent that is highly skilled to entertain....who's to say they can't compete? ...just buzzkill my friend. As an expansion franchise they'd draft from the same pool every team does...I don't see any difference between them and the last expansion team in Charlotte...I vote yes for them to enter the league and I think I can name a bunch of players who wouldn't make the cut on the Globetrotters who have NBA jobs...Meyers Leonard is on that list...Lynette Woodward was on the team and is an Olympic Gold medalist...first female to play with men in professional basketball. She was signed in 1985.....again the Globetrotters leading the way not only in civil rights but in equality on the court regardless of gender

16. julius

singer songwriter
    If they want to start over from scratch that'd be one thing. But you keep bringing up stuff that is irrelevant. Who cares if they've played in over 220 countries??

So have the Washington Generals.

The globetrotters look good on the court because they play a gimmicked game against teams that are in on the scam. Again, it's why the "And 1" guys looked like so talented, they played a significantly lower competition.

They wouldn't be a team that is absorbed (the other owners AND the players association wouldn't allow that), so they'd have to do have a new roster. So all the sudden they'd have the same group of players to pick from that the rest of the NBA does, so their gimmicked roster wouldn't translate for shit. They wouldn't be able to have guys shooting wide open 35 foot three pointers like they do in their gimmicked games, because teams do play defense in the NBA (despite the Blazers attempt at it).

I just can't believe that you think because they can gather up talent guys who can beat a team that is hired TO LOSE TO THEM, is the same as being good at drafting, coaching and playing in the NBA.

Hell, I'm not even sure they'd be able to compete with a Gleague team. Their games aren't run the same as an NBA game.

You might as well say that the Portland Pickles or Hillsboro Hops franchises could make it in the MLB, since they do good in their leagues.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

the people in those countries who grew up to become the Joel Embiid's of the world .....and me...I care about the ambassadors of goodwill that they have always been...since the 1920s

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That's not why I know they are good enough but apparently that's all you've paid attention to in their storied history.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

buzzkill again....it's not about their show...it's about the talent they attract to build that show

20. julius

singer songwriter
    yeah, the talent that wouldn't be anything special in the NBA, and looks really good because they're playing significantly weaker talent then themselves.