Has everyone forgotten Delonte West??

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by olskoolfunktitude, Jun 29, 2006.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

all I heard leading up to the draft was "the celtics NEED a point gaurd!" "the celtics dont have a point gaurd!" "the celtics desperately need a point guard...DEspERATLY!!" now they got Telfair and Rondo and people are talking about how they'll be for the celtics.

have people REALLY forgotten how great Delonte West is?? that was fast! Okay so he's not a "pure point gaurd." Well guess what, none of the two teams in the finals this year had a pure point gaurd. Neither did either of the two teams in the finals last year (i guess you could make the case for Billups as one but thats highly debatable eeven there). Unless the Suns make the Finals soon (which is a strong possibiliyt I think) you might not see a team in the finals with a pure point gaurd for the rest of this decade.

I just dont see what the rush is to find another point gaurd for the celtics. Delontes at least good enough to start for now and just keeps getting better and better at just about every phase of the game. Might as well keep playing him at the point too because he's probably too short to play SG and you would think that the playing time there will go to Pierce, Wally and Green (and Allen).

anyway, just for a refresher
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGdOMQdHqA...=delonte%20west

2. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

We didn't forget.

It would appear that the Celtics are gearing up for some sort of big trade. They have too many players at almost every position. I know that this is already the scuttlebutt around the league, but every bit of reasoning supports it.

They have three point guards (West, Rondo, Telfair) all of whom are loaded with unproven potential.

They have more players than they need at the two and three, (Ray, Pierce, Wally, Green, Allen) Two of whom need big minutes and are established stars (Pierce and Wally), one who started to show a great game (Allen) and another who needs minutes to develop.

There are even too many players are the four. (Jefferson, Gomes, Powe). Also Grant plays here but he's probably already released.

The only weak position is really the five with Perkins and Jones.

I just can't believe that Doc is still the coach. Because the trade they make may be to win now, and not later.

3. olskoolfunktitude

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting postpoint:</div><div class="quote_post">

I just can't believe that Doc is still the coach. Because the trade they make may be to win now, and not later.</div>

AMEN!!! I like hearing the talk that they want to bring in another star and try and win now. lord konws they have the chips to do it but NO TEAM with Doc Rivers as the coach is gonna win a championship. THey have so much talent at jsut about every position (even at center youre forgetting they have theo ratliffe now, he can give them some solid mintues behind Perk with jones as an interesting 3rd option) but what good is it if ou ahve a coach who makes the wrong subs almost all the time? I have this tterrible feeling that we're going to see Scalabrine play 35 minutes a game this year. that alone is worth a good 5 losses at least.

4. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

Ratliff

I'm not really sure when Ratliff's contract runs out. That's the only reason that I didn't mention him. He's pretty old at this point, but he still may be handy on defense. He's actually a considerably worse offensive player than Perk is, especially at this late stage in his career.
    I have a horrifying feeling that they are going to keep Doc around if they can't swing a trade for a big name. I don't know why, but they might. He does motivate fairly well, but he's not a teacher and he can't strategize to save his life.
    I hope to god they don't make a Larry Brown offer if they get Iverson. That's a nightmare. It would make the Knicks look even worse, because the Celts would definitely win more games with Iverson, Brown, Pierce and the rudiments of a strong defense already in place. Just daydreaming I suppose. And this team is way too young for Brown, he'd kill it.
    We won't see Scalabrine for 35 minutes a game unless hell freezes offer. There's already too much investment been made into Jefferson and Gomes.

5. olskoolfunktitude

I agree on pretty much all your points there. id worry though that the celts will take their chances with doc even if they DO bag an Iverson.

I know Theo cant really score (by the way he just has this season and next season left on his deal) but the celts ahve plenty of guys who can score. As far as looking for a veteran presence ont eh team to help out the young guys i feel like hes pretty much perfect. He doesnt need big minutes but if they give him 15-20 a game hell still put up a block and a half and some solid alll around D. great guy for the young bigs to learn from

6. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Delonte is an awesome player, he just isn't a true point guard. He's adequate, but not good or great. He's more of an Antonio Daniels-type player. A perfect guy to come off the bench and backup both the 1 and the 2 and log 20-25 mpg.

So, to answer your question, no. We haven't forgotten about him. But we probably will forget about him as a starting point guard once we see Sebastian Telfair in action.

7. TheGreatK-Bob

TheGreatK-Bob JBB JustBBall Member

Think Telfair's better than West? I don't and the evidence backs up my claim, I think D-West is still the best PG on this team, pure or not. The kid can pass better than Telfai or Rondo, so he's an excellent shooter, isn't that a good thing? He looks to pass first, but he doesn't pass up a wide open look because he knows he can knock it down. Reds earned more than 20-25 mins a game last year, IMO.

8. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

I think Telfair is going to be in a deal for Iverson.

Maybe Ratliff, Telfair and picks for Iverson?

9. TheGreatK-Bob

Sixers wouldn't do Wally, I don't think they'll do it for Telfair. I think they're interested in the young tallent that has started, D-West is untouchable, along with pierce I heard anyone else could be moved for Iverson. But those are just rumours. I heard Gerald Green, Wally, and a pick were offered for Iverson, Someone, and someone else, but that Billy King Rejected it.

10. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheGreatK-Bob:</div><div class="quote_post">Think Telfair's better than West? I don't and the evidence backs up my claim, I think D-West is still the best PG on this team, pure or not. The kid can pass better than Telfai or Rondo, so he's an excellent shooter, isn't that a good thing? He looks to pass first, but he doesn't pass up a wide open look because he knows he can knock it down. Reds earned more than 20-25 mins a game last year, IMO.</div>Again, Delonte played three years in college. Telfair played none. There is no evidence except for the evidence that shows that Telfair's numbers aren't far off from Delonte's, even though he's 3 years behind and played 10 less minutes per game.

You may not think West's lack of pure point guard skills is a problem, but obviously Danny does. If we're going to have a successful ball movement offense, then that's what we need.

11. TheGreatK-Bob

But D-West can pass as well as anyone. I don't really know how to define a pure PG, is it somene wo doesn't look to score at all? Telfair's stats might have been close but he got benched by a better coach than Doc Rivers and the entire staff including Ainge loves West. I'm not sure what Danny's doin, I think he is lookin to get better PG options, but i don't know that he's lookin to necessaily take the job from Delonte. IMO Ainge still has the keys in West's hands (and so does the coaching staff) until someone else takes it away. I don't think that's been done yet.

12. olskoolfunktitude

I just feel like if I was Delonte and I saw the interview with ainge and rondo after the draft and heard ainge say "people said we didnt have a point gaurd, now we have two," Id be like "what the (expletive)?"

13. TheGreatK-Bob

Delonte will just have to prove he's better. I think Ainge knows who the best PG is on this team (West) and he knows that Telfair has the potential to be better, and Rondo is potentially a defensive beast. But neither passed Delonte.

14. H.ayes

H.ayes JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DIRK4L1FE:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Telfair is going to be in a deal for Iverson.

Maybe Ratliff, Telfair and picks for Iverson?</div>

If that's all Philly wants, why wouldn't Portland have just made an offer for AI?