hassel greedy?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by wolvefan4ever07, Jul 27, 2004.

1. wolvefan4ever07

wolvefan4ever07 JBB JustBBall Member

Does anyone else feel that Trenton Hassell is turning his back on the team, that gave him a chance after chicago, start him, and take him to the Western Conference finals, if not for the Wolves portland would have laughed at the idea of offering him that much money, yet what does hassell give back to this team that gave him a chance, nothn, he takes the money and leaves, unlike Fred Hoiberg, he realized Minnesota gave him a chance and even passed up more money to remain loyal with the wolves, the move by hassel disgusts me. That hed rather go play w/ a bunch bunch of potheads, than the league MVP, Cassell, and Spreewell, idk what he was thinknig, i hope the wolves win a title next year, and i wnna hear what hassell has to say, when portlands at the bottom of the leuge, i guess to him, money is more important than winning, and i hope hes booed everytime he plays in minnesota for this incredibly disloayal and greedy move.

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I dont think he nessecarly wanted to leave the wolves or he didnt like want to be here, but he is not a vet like hoiberg yet he is not as mature as hoiberg is. He is still rather young and tring to get as much money as he possibly can.
    That is why at first he demanded the full MLE, but then settled for some were in the middle of what teams thought he was worth and the full MLE.

He doesnt have the mature attitude that hoiberg did to understand what a team could offer you that you really wanted to stay with and bring your price down to that price so you can stay with the team.Though the wolves can still match hassels offer since it starts at under 4.9 million I dont think they will basically because the way I see it if our GM is so quick to open his mouth over were malone will sign. He would have been quick to announce that we would resign hassel if he was truly planning to do so.

Also from a article I posted here on the wolves forum I feel he doesnt really want to be a blazer because when he walked on to the blazers offer sheet signing he came in with two blazers baseball caps yet never put either on his head meaning he isnt commited to being a blazer in my mind. In my mind I am thinking that he is thinking if he really matters to the wolves franchise they will match his offer.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    You can't really blame Hassell for wanting to make money. After all, he was a second-round draft pick, and has never received more money than the minimum of $360K. I don't think he's wrong for wanting to enjoy some stability during his career and wanting to provide for his family. Besides, which basketball player joined the NBA just to win? They joined for money, pure and simple.

4. Tahsmith

Tahsmith JBB JustBBall Member

yea but i swear to god 360k is not bad money and you can more then support your family on that, if i was in the league i would play for a low salary simply so i could have a great surrounding cast. Hassel is being dishonest and greedy. i hope he has a career ending injury for his treason

5. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Thats just going to far right their. In no way did he pull a Carlos Boozer and turn his back on you. Portland offered him the money and he went for it. To say you want him to suffer a career ending injury is just dispicable.

6. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tahsmith:</div><div class="quote_post">yea but i swear to god 360k is not bad money and you can more then support your family on that, if i was in the league i would play for a low salary simply so i could have a great surrounding cast. Hassel is being dishonest and greedy. i hope he has a career ending injury for his treason</div>
    That is harsh words. Let me give you a hypathetical situation. Lets say you prove to a team who went to the western conference championship that you are there best defender and are only improving. You have a one year contract with them at the time you are proving this wouldnt oyu think they would want to sign you before your contract ends or at least make you an offer?

Well continuing they dont. Now you are a sought after free agent by three teams all in your conference and division the nuggets, blazers, and wolves. All the teams have made dramatic improvements over this off season to be better and prove the can be winners.

The nuggets have been tring to arange a sign and trade for you since the off season started. They have offered a big man to the team you are on, but they said no. Wouldnt that give you a big head and make you start thinking your worth more than you really are?

Then there is a team called the blazers who are intent on signing you. They offer you a 16 million dollar deal. Then since you have a big head over all these teams wanting you you demand more money the full MLE the team say no, but they raise the money a little to 20 something million over 6 years.

You look at it and say yeah I will go for this because you are young guy drafted in the second round that has never seen this type of money, but at that time you are looking at the money not the team your going through. After you sign the deal and know you have that money secure you are thinking o everyone wanted me so my original team is gona match this deal easy win win situation right? Then they dont match it he got his money, but not the team he wanted.

I dont really think it was him being greedy as all these teams fighting for him giving him a big head. I do think he really wanted to stay with us though and thought the wolves would match easy over what he had did for them and how much they liked him and wanted him there. They still might, but its slim. You say that you would if you were ihim have played for less money, but you never really no what you would have done if you were in his position a young 20 something year old guy drafted in the second round looking at more money then he ever thought he would see in his life. To wish a guy harm for securing his future is just ignorent and wrong of anyone. Espcially when you dont no what you would have done be it you in that position.

7. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

why the hell was this thread started? hassel is just trying to make money doing his profession. lay off hassel, if the wolves want him back, match the offer, if not then let him go, that's what free agency is..IT'S NOT THAT THE PLAYERS ARE GREEDY OR UNGRATEFUL FOR THE TEAM THEY WERE ON, but in some cases it could be they just hated their former team..i don't know, but Trenton Hassel is NOT greedy and should have definetly signed the offer sheet with the blazers..

8. Tahsmith

I DONT CARE IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A CHILD TO RAISE HERE RAISE YOUR HAND i would kill to make 302 grand all i got is 100,000 and its comfortable so untill you all live in my shoes get off me

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tahsmith:</div><div class="quote_post">I DONT CARE IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A CHILD TO RAISE HERE RAISE YOUR HAND i would kill to make 302 grand all i got is 100,000 and its comfortable so untill you all live in my shoes get off me</div>

Irrelevant. You can't say you'd accept minimum payments until you're actually in Trenton's shoes - and you'll find it's a completely different situation when you are offered more money elsewhere. You can talk about winning until the cows come home, but at the end of the day money makes the world go around, and unless it's s situation like the alleged Boozer one where he made a pre-agreement, then you can't blame a guy for doing something you'd probably do yourself.

10. truba03

truba03 JBB JustBBall Member

Tah, it makes no sense taking minimum or a small contract, when you can easily command the money Trenton is commanding.

And as for loyalty, it goes both ways, we could/can still match and there are ways to do it. We knew he was going to be sought after and did little to prepare for it.

Also remember most of these guys are trying to set them selves up for life as few have careers after basketball. And they will want to live in as much luxury as possible, so taking the money makes sense

11. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

ItI don't blame him for taking a bigger contract, why would you want less money? Playing for the Timberwolves was a great experience for Trenton but playing for the Blazers would give more opportunities to play. In Minnesota, he will have to share playing time with Wally. When Wally came back from injuries, Hassell's playing time dropped. In Portland, he wouldn't have to share many minutes with other players, if the Blazers don't resign Darius Miles. I think Trenton made the right choice and it makes sense. I don't think Trenton is greedy.

12. KGMVP

KGMVP JBB JustBBall Member

This thread is stupid, Hassell is being offered lots of money. It would be STUPID for him to not sign the contract. If the Wolves dont match it, its good for him. If the Wolves do match it its great for him. Why was such a stupid post even started?

13. Tahsmith

Hey , how bout u calm down and quit saying things are stupid alrite people are posting and were having a good debate so shush. and i understand both your arguements i just hate him for the fact that this is about nothing but making more money.We made this man, we gave him the chance and we are the reason he can even command the money. He could make millions here and have the chance to win an NBA championship, instead he has turned his back and is going to the portland jailblazers

14. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tahsmith:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey , how bout u calm down and quit saying things are stupid alrite people are posting and were having a good debate so shush. and i understand both your arguements i just hate him for the fact that this is about nothing but making more money.We made this man, we gave him the chance and we are the reason he can even command the money. He could make millions here and have the chance to win an NBA championship, instead he has turned his back and is going to the portland jailblazers</div>
    A guy in the nba deserves to do what is best for his career. Hassel deserves that chance as well. He eanred his money and his keep so idc if he goes to the blazers. He never said anything bad about minnesota, the twolves, or the orginization and its players so I dont see why you sh0ould be insulting him. He did alot of the team and to just completely disgard that because he is not staying with the team most likely is wrong thing to do.

The wolves can still sign him if they want so it isnt nessecarly like he signed a deal that is impossible to be matched by any team the wolves can match any offer up to the starting amount of 4.9 million and he starts at a lower amount then that. So we will have to see how this turns out. We all new he would probable sign the blazers offer sheet yet the wolves cna match it still so wait till the 15 days are up to say anything about the matter or what type of person hassel is or that kind of stuff because though I think they wont match it the wolves have not ruled out matching it yet and with a visit to the front office by KG they may still match it.

15. Tahsmith

YES I UNDERSTAND THAT, but he will make millions here too i dont understand how sumone can walk away from millions andddd an NBA championship, to go to a team with chemistry problems and hes not even assured to start and will most likely be a lottery team

16. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tahsmith:</div><div class="quote_post">YES I UNDERSTAND THAT, but he will make millions here too i dont understand how sumone can walk away from millions andddd an NBA championship, to go to a team with chemistry problems and hes not even assured to start and will most likely be a lottery team</div>
    He will make more money then the wolves were gona offer him. The wolves can still match if they want. He did this to secure his financial future they offered him the most money out of any team and he is still young and not mature enough to see the wolves can offer him the most in the long run.

17. Oneinpower

Oneinpower JBB JustBBall Member

Hassel would be stup!d not to sign an offer sheet with anybody.(bobcats,Hawks,bulls)
    all he (Hassel) is saying "Minny I sign an offer sheet please match it"

Hassel Greedy i don't think so
    how much is KG or Spewell making.
    in four or five years from now when Spewell is gone he(Hassel) at 4 million a year will be a bargain.
    I hope you are thinking of the future.
    I don't want them to sign him because it give the Spurs a better % chance.

18. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

The NBA is a business. Teams will let you go if they feel that there are already better options than you. They won't keep you because you were good to the team for a long time. When time comes that there are better options, it's sayonara.

The same rule applies to players.

19. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pure Skillz:</div><div class="quote_post">He will make more money then the wolves were gona offer him. The wolves can still match if they want. He did this to secure his financial future they offered him the most money out of any team and he is still young and not mature enough to see the wolves can offer him the most in the long run.</div>

What can the Timberwolves offer Hassell that the Blazers can't? A championship? It isn't certain that he would win one with the Timberwolves. The Blazers might win one before the Timberwolves even if it seems unlikely. He is 25 year old, he could get other opportunities at winning a championship. Playing time? In Minnesota, Trenton will have to share minutes with Wally, and later with Ebi when he will be able to play. In Portland, he could start, same in Minnesota. Miles might not return. The players who he would be sharing minutes with are Viktor Khryapa, a rookie, and Ruben Patterson.

He would be getting about the same opportunities in both teams. If he plays in Minnesota or Portland, it would still be a good situation for him.

20. Oneinpower

Oneinpower JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Linkin:</div><div class="quote_post">What can the Timberwolves offer Hassell that the Blazers can't? A championship? It isn't certain that he would win one with the Timberwolves. The Blazers might win one before the Timberwolves even if it seems unlikely. He is 25 year old, he could get other opportunities at winning a championship. Playing time? In Minnesota, Trenton will have to share minutes with Wally, and later with Ebi when he will be able to play. In Portland, he could start, same in Minnesota. Miles might not return. The players who he would be sharing minutes with are Viktor Khryapa, a rookie, and Ruben Patterson.

He would be getting about the same opportunities in both teams. If he plays in Minnesota or Portland, it would still be a good situation for him.</div>

You don't get it
    he want Minny to match it.
    if he doesn't sign an offer sheet then minny can give him a little raise and he will lose mill's
    look at Steven Jackson everyone said he was dumb for not signign with the spurs (3 years for 9 mill) he sign with the pacers for six years at 44 million
    so sometimes you have to bluff to get what you want.