OT Have You Ever Done A Road Trip In A "Rented" RV?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Jun 24, 2020.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    We're seriously considering doing this. Actually, it's a bucket list item for me (doing an RV road trip). However, I'm hearing that it's cost-prohibitive, etc.. Really? Even if we do something like a 3-state trip?

A couple of years ago, my wife and I did a rental car road trip through Yosemite, Sequoias, San Fran, Northern Cali Coast, Oregon Coast, Central Oregon, and Portland. That said, I would have LOVED to have done that via RV, as opposed to AirBnB's, and the like!

Anyway, we're looking at doing a trip of sorts to Yellowstone, Rocky's, Glacier, etc. Would prefer to rent an RV in, like, Jackson Hole et al.

In your opinion, is this a relatively doable scenario?

OK, as the thread title suggests, is renting an RV practical?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Only time I've been in a rented RV is when we took one,Portland to the Gorge for a music festival. It worked, but pray you don't get that same RV. I'll leave it at that.

riverman and Chris Craig like this.
  3. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Never a rented one. The only time I have been in an rv was at my aunt's house. They had one.

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Surely the smell must be gone by now

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I've rented houseboats before, which I'm guessing is the same concept except on water.

If so, here's a hot tip: make sure things are correctly connected before starting to pump the waste tank.

barfo

6. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

This "...Done A Road Trip..." hurts my brain. Can we change it to "...Taken a Road Trip..."? Can someone also explain why "Rented" is not just Rented? Does that mean it has been/will be a stolen RV?

7. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    LOL

8. Lanny

Buy a good Air Stream and save yourself a few thousand in gas money.

9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The gas money thing is a legit concern; the reduction in fuel efficiency when towing an RV is enormous.

As far as cost prohibition is concerned, it all depends on how much it costs to rent the RV. Compare the daily rental rate to the rate for rooms to just stay near where you're visiting, and I'm guessing there's very little difference.

10. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I don't even want to know.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This is the way to travel in my view
    roof tent.jpg

Hoopguru, Lanny and BigGameDamian like this.
  12. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    Some backpackers I met on a tour in Australia invited me to ride with them in an RV from Alice Springs to Darwin. The rental cost for the RV was less than $20 a day, because we were relocating the RV to a place which was beneficial to the company. I wasn't planning of even going to Darwin, but I couldn't pass on that offer. It was so friggin' hot there, but you weren't allowed to swim in the ocean because of the saltwater crocodiles.

riverman and HailBlazers like this.
  13. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Rent and watch RV with Robin Williams. It will tell you absolutely everything you need to know about renting And using an RV...........motels will end uplooking a lot more attractive.

riverman and ABM like this.
  14. ABM

Commercial Real Estate

LOL. You're probably right. ;)

I was thinking just one trip. One. That reminds me, do Thousand Trails still exist?

15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

this is really a complicated question/answer

start with what type of RV you want to rent...? is it safe to assume you don't want to tow an RV and would rather rent a motorhome/coach...? I say that because towing a vehicle opens up a wide range of potential stress. More than that though is you still need to have a good towing vehicle with decent power and suspension

so then, if it's a motorhome/coach rental you're thinking of, you'll start with a nightly fee (which can sometimes be reduced by a weekly or multi-night rental). Expect around $200/night. That doesn't include mileage fee's or gas.

I just googled and came up with this example:

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/dallas_or/2017_ford_fourwinds_117028-listing?from=&to=
    (check all the photos)

my guess is you should expect to get 6-12 miles per gallon depending on the size of the RV.

say you're taking a 15 day trip and planning on traveling 1500 miles. That would be $3300 for the RV plus $400-800 for fuel. But that's not all because unless you are dry camping you could also be paying $20-50 a night for a camping site. That could add $300-700 more in basic cost. You can save some by dry camping a few times in Forest Service or BLM campgrounds, but you won't have power or water hookups. And you'd need to be cautious not to drain your 12 volt RV batterie(s) with too heavy electrical use

just glancing at that cost tally, you're looking at $4500-$6000. But you might be able to reduce that quite a bit by the size of RV and options you choose

keep in mind that you can offset costs from a 'normal' vacation. The cost of lodging can be $125-250 night (or more if you're going to heavily visited popular destinations) You'll be able to store and prepare your own food, which would save a lot of money over eating out every mean and have the bonus of 'minimizing' your covid exposure. And of course you'd still have travel costs thru mileage and fuel in a normal vacation

all-in-all I'd say it would cost more to rent an RV but the offset between RV and 'normal' might not be as much as you might think

but keep in mind, if you've never driven a bigger vehicle or used and RV you will be facing leaning curves. You really need to research. If you are tall, some of the beds in RV's won't be adequate. Fine one online you're interested in then go to a RV dealer and explore the interior of a similar RV. Your vehicle is much longer than a car with a much bigger turning radius. And your blind spots will be bigger.

That RV I linked has a 40 gallon fresh water tank. That can last a while if you get into an RV frame of mind, but your water consumption habits will have to change. RV's have two holding tanks for RV waste water: a gray water tank for sink and showers; and a black water tank for the toilet. They will fill up fast if you don't pay attention. Normal showers are nixed, but many RV camping sites will have showers you can use. That RV had an 8 gallon propane tank. That will fuel your cooktop/oven; water heater; and refrigerator when you're not hooked up

you'll need to visit a dump station most likely to drain your holding tanks. That's a little adventure all in itself. You'll likely need to have some black water treatment to add after each draining so your shit won't stink.

I know for many it sounds intimidating, but I've known some people who have rented an RV for a summer vacation and have bought their own within a year. Of course, there are people who do this and say "fuck that, never again"

My wife and I "graduated" from tents to a camper 28 years ago. And we graduated for a camper to a 5th wheel 16 years ago. And we love it.

17. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Lordy Gordy, I did a 3 week road trip to the Midwest (and beyond) and back a year ago, and despite getting a (decent) motel room every night, eating like a pig, drinking like Dame, hitting a shit ton of obscure museums, attending baseball games, and buying BG a boatload of minor league baseball swag I still spent well under your estimations. And I didn’t have to drive a shoe box on wheels. I think the allure of an RV waaaaaaayyyy overrated........but then, I’m now an old man.

PtldPlatypus, riverman, Lanny and 2 others like this.
  18. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    I get that. I have a pickup (not a 5th wheel), and could get into the idea of a camper. My wife and I love getting out into the nature aspect of things. Hotels are nice, and all that, but there's nothing quite like the great outdoors!

19. Lanny

20. Lanny

With age comes wisdom. Spoken by an old man.