Hawks continue workouts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Hawksfreak, May 28, 2003.

1. Hawksfreak

Hawksfreak JBB JustBBall Member

Hawks Hold Pre-Draft Workouts, May 28

The Hawks welcomed draft prospects Tony Bland, Matt Caroll, Ruben Douglas and Willie Green to Philips Arena on May 28. Following the workouts, the players answered some questions for hawks.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony Bland, 6-5, 201, Guard, San Diego State

A two-year performer for Coach Steve Fisher's SDSU squad, Bland led the Aztecs in scoring for the 2002-03 campaign and during Mountain West Conference competition ... he posted 16.9 ppg in 30 regular season games and 17.9 ppg in 14 conference contests, shooting better in those games as well by hitting .529 of his field goal attempts ... Bland joined SDSU prior to his junior year after spending his first two seasons at Syracuse, where he helped them to two NCAA Tournaments and a "Sweet 16" appearance in 2000 ... the Los Angeles native grew up playing pickup against the likes of Michael Cooper, Norm Nixon, Paul Pierce, Baron Davis and Norm Nixon.

How would you assess your workout?
    "I think I did a good job in the beginning. I shot the ball really well early on, but I hurt my quadriceps muscle (slight pull) and I had to keep playing. It slowed down my lateral quickness and my explosiveness, but overall I think I did pretty good."

Tell our readers a little bit about your collegiate career
    "I feel I had a pretty good career. I started out at Syracuse and started for them as a sophomore (32 games). I wanted to get a little closer to home (L.A.) and be near my family and in my first year there (San Diego State) we went to the NCAAs for the first time since 1985. It was my third straight year in postseason play and while we didn't make the NCAAs last season, we did reach the second round of the NIT tournament."

Who (in the NBA) have you patterned your game after?
    "Probably guys who can play the point guard spot, but spend more time at the two (shooting guard position), like Jason Terry. I feel more like a point guard but I believe I'm capable of playing of both positions."

You mention JT. How familiar are you with the Hawks?
    "I'm real familiar with the Hawks, although I probably know more about your players from their collegiate careers."

How many workouts have you had thus far?
    "This is my second workout and it was very similar to my first one (with the Lakers). We did a lot of the same shooting drills and one-on-one matchups we had today. We did more footwork and drill work here, but I thought it was a good session."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt Carroll, 6-6, 212, Guard, Notre Dame

Four-year starter for the Fighting Irish ... Named Honorable Mention All-America by AP and earned All-Big East Conference First Team honors as a senior ... finished career sixth on Notre Dame’s all-time scoring list with 1,850 points ... also ranks as the school’s all-time leader in three-point field goals made (301), games played (133), games started (125), and second in career free throw percentage (.825) ... scored in double figures in 96 of 133 career games ... led team in scoring and ranked eighth in the Big East ... also ranked third in the conference in three-point field goal percentage and fourth in free throw percentage ... set single-season school record for three-point field goals made in a season (99).

What was your impression of the workout today?
    "I can't compare it. This is the first one I've done. It was a good workout. There are some good players here. It was fun going head to head and very competitive. And that's what I expected."

Does being a four-year college player give you any advantage going into the draft?
    "It obviously gives me some more experience. Whether or not NBA teams like a four-year guy or a high school guy, it's hard to say. I've been through it. I have an education. I think I've experienced some hard times through basketball, and played in some big games. I think that could give me a little bit of an edge."

Is there a player, past or present, that you can compare your game to?
    "I really used to like watching Dan Majerle. I liked his game. He could shoot the heck out of the ball, and was athletic. I just really liked his game."

What could you bring to an NBA roster?
    "I'm a shooter. That's what I do best. But I hope what might surprise some people is my athleticism and the way I can defend. I hope to show people that through these workouts."

Ruben Douglas, 6-5, 200, Guard, New Mexico

Led the nation in scoring (28.0 ppg, rounded up from 27.964) as a senior, winning the title by a single point over Henry Domercant of Eastern Illinois (27.931 ppg) ... if Douglas had scored one less point or Domercant one more, the scoring title would have changed hands ... named Honorable Mention All-America by AP as a senior ... also named Mountain West Conference Player of the Year ... earned All-MWC First Team honors for second straight season as a senior ... ranks fifth at New Mexico in scoring with 1,782 points in less than three full seasons ... scored 20 or more in 31 of last 34 games ... reached 30 points 15 times, including seven of last 12.

What was your impression of the workout today?
    "It was a new experience. I just wanted to play hard and knock as many shots as I can down. And show what I can bring to the table for the Hawks. It was very challenging."

Other than your scoring ability (led NCAA at 28.0 ppg this season), what other skills do you have that teams might not be aware of?
    "I feel I have good ballhandling skills, good passing skills. And I'm explosive. ' I can do more than just fill it up. There are other facets of my game that people haven't seen yet. That's what I hope to do at these workouts."

Is there a current player that you try to emulate?
    "I love Paul Pierce's game. He can post up, he can shoot, he can pass, he can rebound. 'Do it all Paul' is what I like to call him. I love Kobe Bryant's work ethic and his mental approach to the game, every game. He doesn't take any nights off. That's how it has to be in this league, over 82 games.

Willie Green, 6-4, 204, Guard, Detroit

The 6’4, Detroit native posted a big senior season culminated by being named the Horizon League Player of the Year and honorable mention All-American by the Associated Press ... Green paced the conference in scoring with 22.6 ppg in 2002-03, which was good for 11th nationally, and finished his career as the Titans fourth all-time leading scorer with 1,779 career points ... his 678 points are the ninth-highest single-season total in school history ... also led the Titans in free throw percentage (80.5 percent), assists (2.5 apg) and steals (40), while finishing second in rebounding (4.9 rpg) and blocks (13).

How would you describe the workout today?
    It was very intense, very competitive. Basically, it showed us what we need to do to get to the next level. Lots of hustle plays, a lot of good drills. It was fun.

How do you think you’re personal workout went?
    I thought I did pretty well. My main focus coming in was to go as hard as I can in all the drills. That was my mindset, I wanted to show that I’m a hard a worker, a competitor, and just go from there.

Was this your first workout with a NBA team?
    This was my third workout. I’ve also been to the Chicago Bulls and Memphis Grizzlies.

Any other workouts coming up?
    Yes, I’m heading to Utah on Thursday.

Anything unexpected come from today’s workout?
    No, I think the other workouts gave me a little bit of a head start so I knew what to expect.

You played your college ball at a mid-major school (University of Detroit Mercy), some people might say that makes it harder to get to the next level. What are your thoughts on that?
    I don’t think it was a hindrance. I think if you can play ball then you can play ball, no matter what school you’re at. Of course the guys from the bigger schools are going to get the first look but I think guys from smaller school are coming up. If you can play, I think the scouts will find you. There are a lot of good NBA players who came from small schools.

Describe your game for the Hawks fans who may not have had a chance to see you play in college?
    I’m combo guard, I do a little bit of everything out there.

2. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

isnt there better players the hawks should be working out?

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Why havn't hawks been working out with the bigger name players? collison,west,thomas players like that who won't be top 10...

4. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Those guys will probably work out later, but have their schedules filled up with workouts for other teams. I know David West just worked out for the Suns as well as Chris Thomas. Also, by working out the not so famous players they can find a diamond in the rough that they may try to acquire via free agency or the second round. So this isn't all for nothing.

5. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

shareefs gonna have a career year

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "olskoolFunktitude":</div><div class="quote_post">shareefs gonna have a career year</div>

too bad it will be in miami and not atlanta.

7. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

heh. poor guy's always stuck on crappy teams. never gets any recognition