Hedo Turkoglu

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Tortimer, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I read Hedo Turkoglu is going to opt out of his contract next year which is a little over 7 million. What does everyone think about the Blazers using some or most of their cap space an offer him say 10-12 million a year for 3-5 years. I would think about it if nothing else is out there in a possible trade. That is if Webster doesn't look to be our starting SF.

2. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Without knowing much about him except occasionally seeing him on TNT, I like Hedo. He is more of a catch and shoot player I think, which is what the Blazers need. I don't know much about his defense.

I do like the fact the Blazers are in a position to add on more piece to this already stacked team.

3. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

Alot of his scoring is him shooting over shorter defenders at that position. He can shoot off the dribble as well, probably just as well as Dirk. His driving game is where he needs to improve some more. Defensively.....he's tall :D

But he might be asking for a lot by then, so don't overspend guys.

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

What little of Turk I've seen tells me that he wouldn't exactly be that lock-down perimeter defender the team seems to be seeking. I'm far more interested to see what kind of season Ron Artest has in Houston; if he keeps his head straight and doesn't become a distraction, I'd bet he'd make Shane Battier expendable, and I'd love to see the Blazers make a trade for him ... granted Battier will be 31 next year and wouldn't be a long term solution at small forward, but I can think of no better mentor for Batum to learn from and eventually take over when Shane is no longer able to perform at a high level.

5. Foulzilla

Foulzilla No Blood, No Foul.

I'm wary of him due to his lack of defense. On the other hand, I didn't see much of him last year so maybe he's improved that significantly. I'd rather pick up a perimeter defender than another offensive player personally. Plus I suspect he's going to be overpaid(e.g. Rashard Lewis).

6. Tortimer

I'm with you and would love to get Battier even though he will be 31 next year. I agree he would be good for 2-3 more years and is a great guy that would help Batum learn the NBA and playing good defense. I mentioned Battier a few times and a lot of Blazer fans don't want him but I think he would be the perfect fit except for age.

7. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

If Hedo plays as well as he did last season (borderline all-star), Ten million will be far, far short of enough to sign him up.

Think $15mil+.

Rashard Lewis got a deal averaging $20 per year.

Adjust your info accordingly.

8. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

It really all depends on how Webster develops, as Outlaw, IMO, is not our future 3. I feel like Webster will become a solid small forward in the league. I'm just not sure if he's got the headiness, toughness, and defensive ability I think McMillan will want out of his small forward spot.

Turk would be a definite improvement, and he could fill up the hole, but how important is it to the overall success of the team to have a strong perimeter defender that can take the load off of Brandon, Blake, Rudy, and Bayless?

Also, who do we want mentoring Batum. Turk? I don't think so.

I think signing Turk to a large and lengthy contract is a mistake.

If we can't trade for a premier forward (Butler, Iguodala, G. Wallace, Gay, Deng, Granger, or Prince), I'd like to see them throw a bone to Josh Childress, assuming he can in fact opt out of his Euro contract.

Nocioni, Udoka, or Battier are others that I'd rather see Portland go after before Turk.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  9. Magnum

Magnum Member

no no no no no no no

Hedo is way overrated and has had 1 good season. Spending big money on Hedo in FA would be a travesty.

10. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Meh. I don't think that adding a guy making $10m+ a year at the age of 30 is a good idea unless he's a real difference maker. I'm not convinced that Turkoglu is that guy.

Ed O.

Minstrel likes this.
  11. Tortimer

Maybe 15 million is what he will get but I highly doubt he gets that much. Lewis contract is a terrible contract and I'm sure they wish they could get out of it now. I can't see Orlando offering anymore then 10 million if that much. Maybe someone else would offer more then 12 million but I highly doubt they would. I'm not saying we need to go for Hedo. I was just throwing it out there to see what Blazer fans thought. I think he would be ok - great shooter and size but bad defense.

12. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Childress!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That would be nice.

14. zєяσ

zєяσ Truth is beautiful

Webster+Diogu for Battier+2nd round pick?

15. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    at his current price he is a good deal, but if he's opting out to cash in then i'd really rather not be the team that overpays him....

16. Tortimer

I would love that trade and Hou can keep their 2nd round pick. We have a ton of 2nd round picks in the next few years. I doubt Hou would trade Battier until they see how Artest is going to play and make sure he doesn't cause problems. I think it is a possible deal at the trade deadline this year if Artest is fitting well with the team.

17. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Another player I am some what interested in is Marvin Williams. May not be any better than either of the 2 s/f's we currently have but I like what I saw out of him last year. Just throwing out there....still a lot of upside

18. Piltzer

Piltzer The Intern

Unpaid Office Suport Intern
    I personally wish we had gone after Childress. Like a sign and trade or something. Oh well.

19. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Atlanta wasn't interested in dealing him. Then he shocked them and signed in Greece. But he has player options every year, so he can come back to the NBA next off-season. I'm guessing Atlanta will be willing to trade him, since they now realize they aren't going to get his services and he counts as a caphold for as long as they keep his rights.

I'd love for Portland to offer Atlanta LaFrentz and some other asset(s), like Martell Webster and/or Ike Diogue and/or Channing Frye, for Childress' rights, this season. It would be a gamble, because then Portland would need to sign Childress. But Pritchard can always talk to Childress before that and see if he'd be willing to play for Portland. Since Childress plays outside the NBA, there's no tampering in talking to him (I assume).