Henrik Lundqvist OUT 2-3 weeks with a lower body injury

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Mar 11, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Henrik Lundqvist will be out 2-3 weeks with a lower body injury that he suffered earlier this week in the Rangers win over Florida.

Lundqvist did not dress for Thursday's loss in Carolina.

Magnus Hellberg has been called up on an emergency basis to serve as Antti Raanta's backup.

Lundqvist has started 49 games this season for the Rangers, and has a record of 30-17-2 with a save percentage of .913 and GAA of 2.65.

2. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

We'll see a lot of Raanta and a couple of games from Hellberg as well I'm sure considering we have 4 back to backs coming up.

Hank was hitting his stride, so from that POV it isn't ideal, but now he should be rested and ready for Montreal or Ottawa. Figure worst case he is back by April and gets 4 games +/- to get his timing down for the playoffs. Very similar situation to a couple years ago with Hank, and that worked out pretty well for us.

Barring a total collapse we are locked into the Atlantic bracket. Quick points breakdown looks like this:

If we simply get 12 out of a possible 28 remaining points available for us to get, we'll end with 100 points exactly. The Isles and Leafs, the two teams "closest" to us, would need 26 and 27 points out of a possible 32 points available for each to get. So again barring a total collapse, and the Isles or Leafs getting crazy hot, we will open at Montreal or Ottawa, which is okay with me (for the record I would rather play Ottawa).

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Hopefully when he comes back there's enough time to shake off any rust factor. I'm glad we have a backup like Raanta. Guess we'll kind of see what Hellberg kind of is to some regard. In a selfish way i wanted to see HL keep moving up the wins list but that's secondary.

4. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I think Raanta could very well play most of a playoff series vs. Montreal if that is who the Rangers play first. Hank obviously has slipped some and he has always sucked vs. Montreal when facing Price.

5. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Of course, this entire injury thing could be B.S. Interesting it came after his 30th win. Wouldn't shock me if he's tired and the team is giving him 2-3 weeks off to make sure he's rested for the post season. I know Hank is a competitor but he's also not a young man any longer. It's a stretch but I would not put it past the organization. Same with Girardi and Staal. Both are old guys mileage wise. They are getting a lot of time off. Rangers would probably enjoy a first round match up with Ottawa compared to everybody else. They might actually have a chance to win that one.

6. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I hope Raanta plays against the Isles and not give them a break with Hellberg. If so i might've used Hellberg against NJ. Keep them from getting points.