High/low post vs kick out vs hero ball...for e_blazer

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Which do you guys think, given our current roster, would be the best offense to run, and why....

Discuss

Dougnsalem and DaLincolnJones like this.
  2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I suggest an offense where we score a lot of points and we score them efficiently.

3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm a huge fan of the traditional high/low post offense, if you have a really good passing big who can also knock down a mid range jump shot and another big who can finish strong around the hoop and has decent post moves. I think the hope is that Collins and Nurkic step into those roles because they both have the ability to make it work well but they aren't there yet. If Nurk plays like he did in the 4th quarter of game 4 against the Pelicans and commands a double team in the post it unlocks the whole offense. In my opinion playing inside out is so much easier than playing outside in. I don't think the high/low offense works very well with Aminu at the 4 though.

As for which the Blazers should run with this roster I think they need to run a hybrid of all 3. If CJ used his ball handling abilities to penetrate and kick out to shooters then the kick out method could definitely work. Both Dame and CJ have proven that hero ball can work too. Obviously when someone says hero ball it pretty much means no passing so I never think that should be the number one priority as a means to get shots going into a game but all other methods would work well if ball movement is involved.

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    God bless you, Mediocre Man, starting an actual basketball thread for me! If it didn't mean having to fly to Texas, I'd give you a big ol' sweaty man-hug. Well, not really, I'm kind of introverted. Maybe a fist-bump? (Damn, no matter what I write, one of you cone-heads is going to take it in a twisted way.)

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    As to the question, Terry's supposed to be a fan of Jack Ramsay's coaching. I'd dig out his old playbook and would incorporate some of those run-out fast breaks that used to make the Blazers so fun to watch. Nurk is no Walton when it comes to outlet passes, but I think he could get the job done, and Dame and CJ are better than the guards Bill had to work with.

DaLincolnJones likes this.
  6. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Post up. Spend an entire season doing that, and if by some strange chance we make the play offs, stopping our "Hero" will not paralyze the entire team.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think that all 3 should be used...depending on matchups ...with the shooters we have now I think we'll see the kick out used quite a bit...with Baldwin on the court we can play transition ball more. I agree that the high/low post is a great place to start....hero ball to me burns out your heros by playoff time. Still is valuable in close games though...I don't expect Dame and CJ to have to score 60 pts combined to win games this season...like to see more ball movement and less early shot clock 3s.....good thread MM....we sorely need more of these around here

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Hero ball is iso ball. Posting up is just an iso play.

An inefficient one at that. Nurk should be in the high post finding cutters.

9. DaLincolnJones

Yeah..post up, pass or roll.

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Go to 1:49. @hoopsjock illustrates what I'm talking about:

11. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Slightly OT but I've always wondered why only Phil Jackson could make the Triangle work. But he made it work on two very different teams.

(I don't think we have the personnel for it - he like big guards, and good passers at pretty much every position - but on the other hand, it also takes away the need for an elite creator, and it might suit Evan Turner's game.)

12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yep. I've been advocating running more of Nurk in the high post for quite a while. The bizarre thing is it worked great during Nurk fever and then Terry completely abandoned it. Bring it back. It creates space for guys like Moe to cut to the rim and Nurk is great at finding them:

I'm going to keep posting this video in the hope that someone in the Trail Blazers organization sees it and remembers how well it worked. Save the Nurk post ups for when he has a mismatch in his favor. Nurk is unstoppable against a smaller player on the low blocks, but against most starting centers, we get the weak, off balance, out of control flip shots. No need to force feed Nurk on the low blacks in the opening quarter. Run him in the high post and then mix it up as the match ups allow.

BNM

13. DaLincolnJones

Yeah...Phil was great at getting guys to buy into the system and getting the most out of who he had.

I realize as you do, we do not have the size on this team, but given that a lot of teams play small, that may be interesting to see what these guys could do. We do have a couple of good passing bigs..our guards are okay when that are not playing sloppy..seems we would need help with a cutting three and another four that can pass...

14. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

That would be amazing. I wonder if CJ could possibly do that. Long shot, but maybe just maybe he could find the skill.

15. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Id like to see Nurk at the high post looking for back doors and slashers (Mo) with Collins setting picks low or vice versa.

16. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I think they should just run that weave out past the 3 point line over and over and then go into iso mode...oh wait.

blue9, RickyJoe, Hoopguru and 2 others like this.
  17. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

High low or inside out for me. Nurk finding cutters and low post setting screens for 3 pts shooters. Either that or Nurk down low finding Dame, CJ, Trent, Curry, etc for 3s on double tesms, like Houston did with Olajuwan. Nurk is no Hakeem, but our shooters are better

DaLincolnJones and BBert like this.
  18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    As I recall (it's been a while) Meyers is a pretty good per minute rebounder and his outlet passing is very good.
    :shitstorm:

blue9 and e_blazer like this.
  19. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    :biglaugh:

:cheers:

20. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    So if CJ would use his gift for good, rather than evil? I may be able to arrange for the kidnapping; if we can use Orion's basement for the reprogamming it just might work. It will involve @Orion Bailey playing electric guitar, so we'll have to provide noise cancelling headphones for the programmers.

DaLincolnJones and HailBlazers like this.