High Schoolers conspire to maul umpire

Discussion in 'Other Baseball' started by TheBeef, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

What do you do when the season is on the line and you think the umpire is sticking it to your team? How about conspire to bean him in the face!! Allegedly, a couple of brothers, Ethan and Cody Martin, Ethan playing SS, Cody pitching, and Matt Hill, who was catching came up with a plan to have the pitcher throw a high fast ball that the catcher just doesnt catch....I will post the video so you can decide for yourself....btw, If one of the names sound familiar, its becuase Ethan Martin was drafted by the Dodgers in the 1st round of this years draft....Also of note, the school was fined $1000, the ump ended up at the hospital after the game, Hill had his scholorship offer from Gordon College pulled, and the Ump is considering a lawsuit....

<div align="center"><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tsFSALrA1o&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tsFSALrA1o&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div></div>

2. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I wish you could do something like that in basketball [​IMG]

Seriously now, that's messed up. How's the school getting fined, but the kids aren't?

And is Cody getting his scholarship pulled, too? I'm glad Hill is, he deserves that. That's pretty messed up, and a show of terrible sportsmanship.

3. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

No word on Codys scholorship, if he had one....

4. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Wow. That's messed up. Get ejected from a game and tell him what you think if you have a problem. That's just petty and immature.

5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

So how'd they find out this was conspired? Did the kids come forth and admit it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 19 2008, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, that's pretty crazy. I wish you could do something like that in basketball [​IMG]</div>

You mean like when Vince Carter got frustrated and tackled the ref in a team USA game against Autralia leaving the ref injured? That was pretty insane. I spent the last few minutes looking for the clip on Youtube, but every time I found the clip on there or another streaming video website, it was removed by either the user or the website. Go figure. It's almost like Carter or the league were trying to cover it up. This is sort of off topic, but I feel like a lot of confrontations in the NBA go unreported and are quickly hidden by the league, the universities, or the players. For example, I can't find the clip of Chris Paul giving Julius Hodge a low-blow anymore, and I never even saw a clip of Lorenzen Wright hitting Zaza Pachulia in the face after seeing it live.

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

No, they deny it....Obviously, if it was on purpose, then the Pitcher and the Catcher were in on it....the story I read said that all 3 conspired, so thats what I posted....please notice I did state in the original post that they "allegedly" came up with the plan together....the school board, the umps, and even a college baseball coach didnt believe it was an accident....I will link to the original article if you want to read the source:

Rick Reilly

7. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 20 2008, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So how'd they find out this was conspired? Did the kids come forth and admit it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 19 2008, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, that's pretty crazy. I wish you could do something like that in basketball [​IMG]</div>

You mean like when Vince Carter got frustrated and tackled the ref in a team USA game against Autralia leaving the ref injured? That was pretty insane. I spent the last few minutes looking for the clip on Youtube, but every time I found the clip on there or another streaming video website, it was removed by either the user or the website. Go figure. It's almost like Carter or the league were trying to cover it up. This is sort of off topic, but I feel like a lot of confrontations in the NBA go unreported and are quickly hidden by the league, the universities, or the players. For example, I can't find the clip of Chris Paul giving Julius Hodge a low-blow anymore, and I never even saw a clip of Lorenzen Wright hitting Zaza Pachulia in the face after seeing it live.
    </div>

That's some pretty fascinating stuff VC, you may be on to something.

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Sorry, Beef. I didn't pick up on the "allegedly" in your post.

I don't know jack about baseball, but watching the clip, it looks like the guy could make a pretty good case to sue the university that dropped him, don't you think? He could have said it was nerves that made him flinch from such a fast ball, or that he thought it was going to hit him, so he ducked out of reflex.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (huevonkiller @ Jun 20 2008, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 20 2008, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So how'd they find out this was conspired? Did the kids come forth and admit it?

</div>

That's some pretty fascinating stuff VC, you may be on to something.
    </div>

Yeah, I don't want this thread to get OT though, so I'll post another thought about it in the Random Thought Thread.

9. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

Ha great way they did it, but couldn't they have done it a lot slicker, and throwing a ball at a guy with a helmets on face isn't that bad.