Hockey Night in Vancouver

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by panzerporter, Jan 19, 2014.

1. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Five fights to start last nights Calgary @ Vancouver game on Canada's Hockey Night. Can't really blame Torts since Hartley started his 4th line goons so Torts had to counter but then Torts went after Hartley at the Flames locker room doorway during the first intermission, probably leading to a suspension.

2. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    Torts started a defenseman as his center..thats a fucking joke.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

This is worse (much worse), than 2 goons saying "you wanna go?" because they can't skate and want to give the people what they think they want. I don't mind fighting in hockey, I think it has it's place. What I get sick of is garbage like this. 25 game suspensions for stuff like this.

Maybe If Tort's had started his first line, instead of letting himself be goaded into this nonsense, he might have had a few powerplay opportunities and could have put the game away early.

4. panzerporter

Was never a Torts fan but Hartley put his goons out there first. Torts can't put his first line out there to be pummeled, PP opportunities aside he'd be run out of town especially if a Sedin brother was hurt. Rangers fans saw quite a bit of Torts turn the other cheek nonsense, there was a long list of Rangers knocked out of games by cheap shots with no retribution from Torts during his tenure. He has to be feeling the pressure with his Canucks tied for 7th.

5. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

Yeah, that's true ...

6. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    They can turtle and watch Calgary lose players for majors and suspensions. I don't buy into this have to protect themselves. They are all men.

7. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

Yeah but if Tort's puts his 1st line out there, and somebody gets hurt, he would have a hard time explaining that. The media in Vancouver would be all over him.

8. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    How many fights cause a major injury. Thats bullshit. .not going to change my mind on this one.

9. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

Hey, I don't like it myself, In fact, I think it's garbage. I hate these dumb ass fights that start 30 sesconds into the game, just because. But I honestly can't say that If I'm the head coach of Vancouver, that I wouldn't do the same thing that Tort's did. You do not put your first line on the ice to get mugged, that's not their job. Even if they don't get hurt, he would still have to explain his actions of putting his 1st line out there against a more physical line intent on knocking them around.

However, I wouldn't have tried going into the Flames locker room. Go to your locker room, and get your players ready to begin the 2nd period.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  10. migman91

migman91 Member

I mean we saw it with Orpik this year... not like its impossible. Torts losing a sedin to a concussion sure some idiot like Mcgratten gets suspended forever but the effect on the Canucks is much worse. If there is even a 1% chance a star could get hurt in that situation. You send out the troops.

11. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not a Torts fan (well documented) but i have no problem with what he did last night. As has been said here, you cannot risk your best player(s) get hurt b/c the opposing coach is acting like a d-bag. If that happened to the Rangers and AV instead put his first line out there and Stepan got hurt, this board would be up in flames.

12. panzerporter

So Al if you were the head coach of the Rangers a few years ago when the Devils deBoer put his goon squad out would you have sent Gabby, Stepan and Richards out for a beatdown? I respect your opinion but I agree with what Torts did then as well especially when deBoer tried to pull that crap in the Garden. While a player may not be physically injured there's an intimidation effect and that's why you have guys like Prust, Rupp & Bickel in the lineup in the first place.

13. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    Its bush league and again they are men. They can back pedal and run away if they are such pussies. So any time a team sends out their 4th line I should start my scrub line and start a fight. That's good hockey to me me. I don't live in fear.

14. migman91

migman91 Member

Yeah well I'm sure the Sedins would love you for sending them out there to get their a$$$ses kicked.

15. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    Seriously. ..if your going to be afraid what makes you think it wouldn't happen at any face off...during the game itself. Its just a fucking excuse.

16. migman91

migman91 Member

The game hasn't started yet... and its about more than fighting off the draw, when 4th line goons get to take runs at your stars you run the risk of them getting hurt its that simple. Someone needs to answer the call and stick up for their teammates. I know everyone here remembers Todd Fedoruk running around like a man possessed and cheap shotting Jagr... next time we played them Colton Orr knocked him dead. When guys know they will have to pay for their actions on the ice the game stays clean. This simple concept is lost on the group who says fighting should be banned, and that its a blackeye to the game. Without it the league would turn into a bunch of Kaletas, Cookes, and Torres' kneeing, elbowing, and slew footing guys. Coaches shouldn't have to wait for it to happen before sending out the troops. Once you see the possibility of it, you defend your stars, defend your team, and let the other team know your not going to get pushed around. Something the Canucks were known for under AV. Now, did Torts cross the line with the whole hallway thing? Absolutely. He's paying for it with a suspension. But I guess we can just agree to disagree on this whole thing Al.

17. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Al just wants players to slow down before a check and excuse themselves for bumping into them.

18. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    no I want hockey to be about hockey and not this predetermined bullshit. fighting is fine and has a place...but not as a means to start the game because one coach is fearfull that the other coach has sent his fourth line out to start a fight.

19. migman91

migman91 Member

Maybe not to start a fight. But to set the tone of the game with several crushing hits. Next thing you know that moron Westgarth boards a Sedin, pretty sure Henrik was already playing hurt, and hes out 3-4 weeks. This is the point Al. Not oh lets just have the goons fight for no reason.

20. BigDaddyAl1973

Accountant
    Again this shit happens during the course of the game...why make the start about it. Lets agree to disagree because ill not change my mind about this.