Home Opener

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by EPJr, Apr 11, 2011.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Coach Spencer: Fans aren't going to win this game for us
    [​IMG]
    Coach says Timbers can't get wrapped up in emotions of opener

, Ore. – While fans of the Portland Timbers are gearing up for an emotional and enthusiastic reception for the first Major League Soccer game at refurbished JELD-WEN Field, coach John Spencer is taking a more low-key approach to Thursday’s game against visiting Chicago (11 pm ET, ESPN2 & Deportes).

All of the anticipation surrounding the sold-out game will be merely window dressing if the Timbers don’t play well and earn their first MLS victory.

“It will be a special atmosphere, but we can’t stand around admiring our fans,” Spencer said after Monday’s practice. “You’ve got to get your head in the game and play well.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/spencer-fans-arent-going-win-game-us

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

This new coach obviously hasn't heard how loud our fans can get!

3. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Right after Spencer was announced he sat about 2 sections over from the army. He has seen it first hand. He just doesnt want the players admiring lol

4. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

Agreed. The players still have a game to execute, but to not feed off the Timber crowd energy would be a shame.

I am just glad the Blazer Playoff games do not conflict with the Timbers home games since it would be a tough choice.

5. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

I don't know of Spencer is a good soccer coach X's and O's wise, but I love this guys character. Great interviews. Tough bastard. Takes no shit. Love him.

6. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

7. agoo

agoo Member

[video=youtube;kutqhOWa0AU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kutqhOWa0AU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Highlights.

I forgot the match was on until a moment before Perlazza's first and then I fell asleep at half time. For those 20 minutes though, Timbers looked really good. Still missing the guy in the middle as much of the attack went through the wings. Chara reportedly is that guy, though from what I've seen, he's a right winger. If he's not going to be in the middle, I'd love to see Alhassan move in there with Jewsbury. The pass to set up Perlazza's first goal was terrific and he'd have a lot of guys to set up from the middle of the pitch.

Wallace's goal should be goal of the week without competition.

The field looked good and the stadium is pretty awesome. I would point out that ESPN didn't mic up the crowd as well as they do for Seattle. Also, the chainsaw needs an umbrella.

8. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    18,627 in attendance. Not too shabby.

9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

interesting to hear that from someone with no dog in the fight. Seattle people have been posting all day that they Mic'd us up more than them, and thats the only reason we sounded loud. I cant speak for certain as I honestly dont watch much of Seattle on ESPN, so I have no answer to if thats the case or not.

10. agoo

agoo Member

I would assume Seattle is louder because their average attendance could fill Jeld-Wen twice. As far as the sound mixing goes, I think that's where the huge difference came in. If you watch Seattle or EPL coverage on ESPN, the crowd sound levels are up regardless of which camera is on. If you were watching last night, the crowd levels were high when the camera pointing at Timber Joey or the TA area behind the goal, but the sound was down when the camera was on the action. You couldn't even hear Joey's saw once the camera went off of him.

I'm sure there's more that goes into that. Seattle's stadium was designed for acoustics, while Jeld-Wen does not appear to be (I haven't studied acoustics or architecture to know). Additionally, any camera angle at Seattle will have screaming fans on it, while the main cameras in Portland were pointing at the shorter stands and the video screen end for much of the match that I saw.