Politics Homeless people gain ‘de facto right’ to sleep on sidewalks through federal court

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Phatguysrule, May 9, 2021.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

GriLtCheeZ and Lanny like this.
  2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    They didn't "outlaw homelessness," they outlawed camping in certain places. There needs to be more accomodations made, certainly. But there also needs to be protections in place for those who wish to use public property for the purposes for which they are intended. This is an enormously complex issue, and oversimplifying it in either direction serves noone except for those who profit either financially or politically by sowing division.

3. Phatguysrule

Each of these homeless cost us $30k per year by living their unhealthy lifestyle and destroying our cities. $30k per year would pay for a really nice apartment, or several decent studio apartments.

Once you did that you could legally prevent the homeless from sleeping outside or setting up camp (according to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which the Supreme Court let stand on appeal).

It sounds to me like as long as Oregon has adequate housing for Oregon's share of homeless we can be tough on homeless who try to come in from other states.

stampedehero likes this.
  4. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    The Supreme Court never witnessed or experienced homelessness. They should have viewed "Seattle is Dying" on Youtube. What an idiotic decision. The crime is directly related to a drug habit the homeless cannot afford. Demented and lost souls are on the streets of this nation. * Follow Rhode Islands system. Heroin addicts are thankful for intervention and synthetic treatments. In my opinion, we have abandoned air force bases and other non related facilities that could be their city and also serve as their isolation from us.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    You'd have the additional expense of providing a place for these people to socialize with like minded people but it's a good idea.

6. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Oh, they’re allowed to exist. Thanks government.

stampedehero likes this.
  7. Phatguysrule

But they are very treatable if you just house them. No need to isolate them from us.

Lanny likes this.
  8. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    You can't live with real lunatics. Surely, you don't want a section 8 person living in a house next to you. The people in Seattle and San Francisco say so. As a normal citizen, you'll pay taxes expecting a stabile community and a prosperous life. With all the money these cities threw at the problem, they ignored the treatment both you and I hope they would get. They should be isolated.

9. Phatguysrule

Sure, some of them should be isolated. But many can be treated once placed in a healthier situation where they feel like they of some control over their lives.

Once housed we can more easily keep tabs on them. We would have a pretty good idea of who to keep a closer eye on by the time our social workers placed then in homes. Or if they are really bad, place them where they need to be rather than a home.

Lanny and stampedehero like this.
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Some want to be housed. Some don't.

For those who want to be house we need to build more transitional housing. We need to up the ante on resources to help people get back on their feet. That will get a good number if homeless off the street.

For those who prefer the homeless life and will refuse to take the transitional housing route we can designate more homeless villages, like dignity village. Fill them with those tiny houses. Some plumbing. That will get most the rest off the sidewalks.

There is a demographic of the homeless population that consists of runways. Teenagers who have run away from home because of abuse, neglect, etc. We need to get these kids off the street. We need more programs for them where they can feel safe.

For any homeless who need it offer drug programs with incentives.

There are solutions to the homeless problem. It just seems so far no one in charge has really put in a serious effort to get creative and find those solutions.

Making homelessness illegal doesn't work. Sending homeless people away on busses doesn't solve the problem.

Covid has only caused the problem to get worse as more and more people have lost jobs and are now homeless and living in tents on the sidewalk. It's not just old people, or addicts, or runaways, it's families. I see little kids living on the sidewalks in tents with their parents. It kills me. It should never have happened.

HailBlazers and stampedehero like this.
  11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

My issue is that a lot of these people are being shipped here from other cities because they don't want to deal with them. Why does our city have to shoulder the burden of taking care of all these people? I haven't looked, but just from how the city has changed in the last 10 years, I would guess that our homeless population has soared. We can't take on the homeless from all over the country. This is a major issue and there should be some kind of penalty for cities that dump their problem on us.

Lanny likes this.
  12. Phatguysrule

Eh? How is advocating for a better cleaner, healthier, safer situation for them speaking of them as scum?

Honestly, I don't know what part of my post could be eliciting this response?

Lanny likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/03...less-population-in-decline-prior-to-pandemic/

How exactly did Oregon end up with the third worst homeless rate in the country? Because other cities are shipping them here. Something has to be done about that.

14. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Sorry, I replied to the wrong post. Disregard

Lanny and Phatguysrule like this.
  15. Phatguysrule

I think we have a lot of these programs in place, but people living on the streets will not be able to take full advantage of them because they have such terrible living situations.

Getting these people into situations where they feel they are safe and have some control will allow the programs we already have to be far more effective, and help us more effectively address any short comings.

I just think the first step needs to be getting as many off of the streets as possible.

16. Chris Craig

Yeah, that's a big issue. Part of that problem is Portland offers alot more resources than most cities. Some cities don't offer any. This is a not just a state issue. It's a national one. Cities across the country need to offer better resources. Need to solve this together.

17. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

This is why it's a federal problem. If any state tries to do anything then all the other states just give them their problem.

18. Phatguysrule

No worries. I'm actually treading along a line of trying to sounds less concerned about the human angle than I actually am and more along the lines of just cleaning up the streets and reducing the impact on the rest of us, as the human angle tends to derail the conversation for some reason.

So I wanted to make sure I hadn't gone too far...

Lanny likes this.
  19. Chris Craig

We have some shelters. We have a small number of transitional housing. Not enough funding. So much more can be done. We need more transitional housing and programs that I agree allow them some control of their lives.

To get them off the street we need more transitional housing, we need more funding. Portland though continues to find more value in building condos that stay empty.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

We just can't afford to shoulder all the countries homeless problem. I suspect it will only get worse.

Phatguysrule likes this.