Homosexuals in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Rudeezy, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

I know this is an old article but who cares:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">McGrady recently told a New York magazine for its November issue that he believes "5 percent" of NBA players are gay and added he had witnessed incidents of homosexual behavior.</div>

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...343/1002/SPORTS

Do you believe that "5% of NBA players are gay?" I find that hard to believe. Do you think they would survive if they "came out of the closet?"

<font color="Red">If you can't respond in a mature manner than please do not respond. Lets keep this thread clean.[​IMG]</font>

2. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

That actually is pretty interesting. Not that it matters, but interesting. I wonder which ones are.

3. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">That actually is pretty interesting. Not that it matters, but interesting. I wonder which ones are.</div>Yea, I thought it was pretty interesting as well. I bet we would be suprised to find out which NBA players are gay if any actually are. But, of coarse it doesn't matter.

4. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I remember when this was first posted here on JBB. Poeple were making lists of who they think the five percent are that is gay. I believe Wave said it was official that Laettner is gay.

5. Glen Infante

I think AC Green is another gay canidate.

6. theclown1

theclown1 JBB JustBBall Member

I live in Holland and here its well accepted. Gays can even marry eachother if they want. I dont know how it is in the States. I have seen things happen before the game that are questionable or even during the game.

As a player makes a good shot or a huge dunk is it normal to slap him on his ass cause i have seen that happen in the NBA?

If any of the NBA players would come out it will not matter to me. I wont see that player any different. Its his choice and people should respect that.

But reality is that if a player comes out of the closet he will be treated different. My thought are that other NBA player will try to aviod him.

7. Glen Infante

DeSegana Diop has some homosexual tendancies as well...

8. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">I think AC Green is another gay canidate.</div>

Well, he recently got married and finally got laid....took him almost 40 years but he finally did it...

9. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

I haven't really noticed any gay tendancies with any player yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if Laettner was gay. I haven't noticed any gay tendancies from him either, but by looking at him. I wouldn't be in [​IMG]

10. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

This isn't really about basketball if you ask me. Now it's a question of ethics. I don't really care nor know who is, but if they're truly sincere people, then what's the problem?

11. Milweskee

Milweskee JBB JustBBall Member

Wasn't Juwan Howard rumored to be gay? Keith Van Horn should be gay, but he has a wife and family so probably not. Doug Christie looks gay. Andre Kerilenko looks pretty gay. Laettner is probably gay.

12. Big Zee

Big Zee JBB JustBBall Member

Kevin Garnett is gay -- according to Francisco Elson, that is :P

13. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

Laettner had the stigma of being homosexual for a long time but i think he's been very public declaring he wasn't, i think he's married now. i think an intriguing question is if a pro ball player can be openly gay in the nba without backlash?i don't know the answer to that but hopefully tolerance prevails. i think stats. say that 2.5% of the population of men are gay so i guess u would have to apply that to professional sports as well, i don't see how they are exempted from that.

14. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Big Zee:</div><div class="quote_post">Kevin Garnett is gay -- according to Francisco Elson, that is :P</div>

Why're so many people making such a joke out of this? They're people too, what happens if they're sincere people, then that's as bad as dissing the likes of the WNBA as a sexist.

15. Mr.Fundamentals

Mr.Fundamentals JBB JustBBall Member

I actually like this article, and find it interesting. I just hope some people have proper motives to judge whether or not a player is gay.

16. McGrady^1

McGrady^1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Milweskee:</div><div class="quote_post"> Wasn't Juwan Howard rumored to be gay? Keith Van Horn should be gay, but he has a wife and family so probably not. Doug Christie looks gay. Andre Kerilenko looks pretty gay. Laettner is probably gay.</div>

^ [​IMG]

17. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

If the homosexual NBA players actually came out of the closet, it would be intriguing to see the reaction from his teammates and the NBA in general. I know a lot of players wouldn't mind, but I'm sure some players would. A large percentage of men (as a generalization, I know you aren't) are to a level homophobic.

If anyone watched the ESPN series Playmakers, you may remember the episode where one of the wide receivers (?) came out of the closet. He was treated 100% different, and i know this is just a show but I'm sure it would, at least somewhat, be the same.

I remember a while back some journalists questioned players from the San Francisco 49ers if they would have a problem playing with homosexual teammates. I remember Garrison Hearst (starting running back at the time) said he would never play with a gay teammate if he found this out. Needless to say, the bay area was in an uproar about what this guy said. It might not be the best thing, but just keeping your mouth shut and doing your job seems like the best answer to this question right now.

Like I said, if confronted with the topic head on, I don't think the NBA would react that much different than the NFL. I guess once one person has enough courage to put it out there, we will see the outcome.

18. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I have heard Strong rumors that Jeff Foster likes it from other men, I wouldnt be suprised of Laettner was either....err I dont like him at all.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

lol why did someone say Doug Whipped Christie, and Andrei Kirilenko?

Anyways, I really don't know if a player is gay, I can't sense it or something, but I would also be intrigued to see the reaction of the other players if a player comes out and says they're gay.

If you ask the players now they might say oh I won't treat them differently or whatever, but in the actual light of the situation it might make then feel uncomfortable, and their view towards the person will likely change.

20. Peja King

Peja King JBB JustBBall Member

.. do you think there's a superstar who's actually gay?..