Politics Hong Kong’s government has formally withdrawn an unpopular extradition bill that sparked protests

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 23, 2019.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Hong Kong’s government has formally withdrawn an unpopular extradition bill that sparked unruly protests, which morphed into a broader campaign for democratic change in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

The security chief announced in the legislature on Wednesday that the bill was being withdrawn.

Hong Kong’s leader had proposed amendments to extradition legislation as a way to resolve a case involving a man wanted for murder in self-ruled Taiwan, who could not be sent to face charges because there was no extradition agreement.

But the proposals sparked widespread fears that residents would be at risk of being sent to mainland China’s Communist Party-controlled courts.

Lam was forced to back down and said last month she would drop the bill.

https://apnews.com/826369870a744bf8b6238463f8def252

Lanny likes this.
  2. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Good for them, but I dont think its enough anymore. The Hong Kong people want more now. China opened up a can of worms with this one.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The ruling class of Hong Kong business and previous rule is long gone...they left after the British pretty much....Hong Kong is China now unlike Taiwan...the residents there have no power or army or impactful leadership...China knows more about Hong Kong and the politics there than any other country. Taiwan on the other hand has free elections, an army, it's own currency and is nothing like the Hong Kong situation....there was no war for Hong Kong when the British left...China can walk over them anytime they want like they did Tibet...if anyone is pissed at China for aggression it should be Tibetans. Don't see the NBA complaining in favor of the Dalai Lama and his forced exile from his own country..

Lanny and EL PRESIDENTE like this.
  4. donkiez

The extradition bill was just the spark, and now that its pulled it only brings them back to status quo. I don't think Hong Kong citizens are happy with status quo after fighting their government for months. Time will till if this satisfies them, but I doubt it will since China would probably just wait till things died down and then reintroduce it somehow much sneakier way, and Hong Kong knows this, they need something permanent. The complete list of demands now are, and #5 will surely be a sticking point for both parties.
    1. Withdraw the extradition bill
    2. Withdraw the “riot” designation of the June 12th protests
    3. Free all protesters arrested under rioting charges
    4. Independent investigation of the police force for excessive force/police brutality
    5. Implement universal suffrage for the Chief Executive and for the entire legislature
    Your right that China can do whatever they want to Hong Kong, but they are under a spotlight. Any brutal enforcement will harm their reputation severely.

Tibet is a whole other situation and very sad at that. China has done a good job of isolating them and not allowing the world press to know what is going on. I think Hong Kong fears this and is fighting to not become the next Tibet.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/10/...ggest-buddhist-sites-satellite-images-reveal/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    riverman and SlyPokerDog like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They were under the spotlight during the Tibetan invasion, we just wanted their market and manufacturing base more than we wanted Tibet's….I still do not remember any public American athletes protesting or the commissioner of basketball when Tibet lost it's country. I don't see them lobbying for Taiwan's independence or voting for them to join the UN again. Our relationship with China since Nixon has been completely tied to our GNP, not sovereign rights.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  6. donkiez

Yes but Hong Kong knows its now or never. The current empathy and online attention is their best leverage, if they fold they risk losing that. Im not saying your wrong, I agree with you, I just don't see the protest calming down anytime soon. Hong Kong is probably fighting a loosing battle, but we should all support their fight not only for their sake but for Tibets, Taiwans, the Uygher's, and anyone else China feels they want to suppress.

The NBA wasnt involved but there was this, for all the good it did...

Beastie Boys, Smashing Pumpkins Headline Tibetan Freedom Concert

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...kins-headline-tibetan-freedom-concert-183794/

By the way, at my work one of the cleaning crew is a Tibetan exile, his stories of the time leading up to that event and how he escaped are terrifying.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I got to meet the Dalai Lama and Jane Goodall at the medical university I taught at in Taiwan...wonderful experience.