Houston works out Baby Shaq

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Phi_Slamma_Jamma, May 29, 2003.

1. Phi_Slamma_Jamma

Phi_Slamma_Jamma JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Perkins still undecided if he will enter NBA draft
    Associated Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOUSTON -- Kendrick "Baby Shaq'' Perkins is studying the NBA while the NBA studies him.

Perkins has said he might skip college and go straight from Beaumont Ozen High School in Texas to the pros -- and he is a possible first-round pick in the June draft. He can change his mind as late as June 19 and still attend college as an amateur.

"Right now it's 50-50. I'm going to keep on with these workouts and trying to get ready and that's it,'' Perkins said Wednesday in Houston, where he worked out for the Rockets. He worked out earlier this week for the San Antonio Spurs.

Perkins' 6-foot-11, 290-pound frame earned him his nickname and comparisons to Los Angeles Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal.

"I'm working on my conditioning to see where I'm at,'' Perkins said. "There's really no pressure on me, it's a win-win situation. If I don't like where I'm at (in the draft) I can always go to college, so I'm not losing either way.''

In order to protect his amateur status, Perkins has been paying his own way to the workouts. He doesn't have an agent, either.

The Rockets don't have a coach or a first-round pick in the draft, but they worked Perkins out at the team's practice facility as a courtesy to the player and to gather more information for their scouting journals.

Andre Boutte, Perkins' high school coach, is helping his star pupil through the workout process.

"What he's doing now is getting some workouts in to see just where he is,'' Boutte said. "We're confident that he's skilled enough to get the job done. What he's doing is putting on exhibitions for those who have to decide.

"We're going by feel. After this workout we'll try to work out another one.''

Dennis Lindsey, Rockets vice president of basketball operations and player personnel, conducted the workout.

"It's always been our stance that these guys should go to school, but he's a talented guy and we feel out of loyalty, him being a local kid, to work him out and show him what the process is all about,'' Lindsey said.

Perkins led Ozen to a 96-3 record in his final three high school seasons. He averaged 27.5 points, 16.4 rebounds and 7.8 blocks per game last season, when Ozen lost in the state championship game to Fort Worth Dunbar.

Boutte has mentored Perkins since his junior high days. He hopes Perkins is ready for the next step.

"I don't think any kid at 18 years old is ready for what the world has to offer,'' Boutte said. "I'm 40 and I still get surprised. You don't think you're ever ready. It's how you go about things after something has happened.

"As far as him being levelheaded and making good decisions, I'm confident he can do that. But with any child, going to the service and being stationed in Chicago or going off to college in California, you still have concerns.''

Perkins has signed a letter of intent to play for Memphis and coach John Calipari. Perkins thinks his decision will come right down to the June 19 deadline.

"Coach Cal? I talked to him last week,'' Perkins said. "He said he's happy for me whatever I decide. He's just happy for me.'' </div>

2. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Its good to see the Rockets help out Perkins here. They have absolutely no shot of getting him so it was a good curtesy to give hima workout to show him what the other will be like. He is one huge kid with huge talent and uncapped potential. If I was him, I think I would go to college and play at a top notch program(Duke? UNC?) and get more developed so he will be more ready to go to the NBA in a few years.