Exclusive How I'd Structure Portland's Offense

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Aug 24, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I want to see Portland use more player and ball movement. This requires spacing to stretch out defenses which makes them more susceptable to breakdowns because of ball-movement, makes them have to cover more ground to close out, which in turn makes them easier to attack and drive against, which collapses the defense, and with our improved shooting and spacing would provide kick-outs for open 3s or layups. More spacing provides more room to cut as well.

I'd like to run a "4-Out 1-High" Offense.
    upload_2018-8-24_16-30-44.png
    Watch this video and look for the things I mention below:

Nurkic would play elbow to elbow. This would promote a few things:
    1.) More side pick-n-roll

-- Harder to trap than top pick-n-roll due to angles, and since it's closer to the hoop, it's easier to relieve pressure since more passing options are available. We could flip the court by having Dame dribble towards Aminu, who backdoor cuts to the opposite corner, with Harkless replacing CJ and CJ rotating to the top of the key. Ideally, we'd have these three setting up a screen somewhere to keep the helpside defense occupied.
    upload_2018-8-24_16-30-44.png ---> upload_2018-8-24_16-52-24.png
    In the video above, notice how we run a ton of side pick n roll with 3 player weakside, with great success. I saw this a couple times in the post-season where New Orleans didn't double. That's because Nurkic is a much bigger threat as an outlet to relieve pressure, as he would roll to the baseline and have a clear path to the rim with 3 easy kick out options in his line of vision as he drives.
    With high pick n roll that's trapped (basically our whole series), he'srolling to the top of the 3pt line, where he's not a threat and doesn't have a lane to the rim due to the help-side defense that's there. There's also shooters on both sides of the court, and none are in his line of vision while he drives.
    *Golden State runs this a lot with Curry -

2.) Nurkic High-Post Passing.
    -- Who remembers Nurkic's 1st half-season here, where he was a distributor in the high post and we got many easy buckets off of cuts like that? We strayed away from it last year. Here's a video, which shows the types of cuts and motion we could run by throwing the ball into Nurkic at the high post.
    3.) Two-Man Game Between Nurkic/Collins
    With Nurkic-Collins lineups, I'd like to see some high-low action at the very least. Collins could play the high-post (where Nurkic is), and Nurkic would space to the short corner (slightly to the right of where Aminu is). Collins could work out of face-up situations and hit the 15-foot jumper, or Nurkic could dig in towards the block.
    upload_2018-8-24_16-59-50.png
    I like the idea of Collins throwing it into Nurkic and then immediately screening away, creating weak-side motion to keep the defense honest or provide an open pass and shot.
    upload_2018-8-24_17-4-4.png

If the high-post big attacks, the low-post big could dive baseline towards the rim, much like Vonleh would with Nurkic.
    upload_2018-8-24_17-5-53.png
    4.) High-Post Evan Turner
    With Nurkic out of the game, we could put Evan Turner at high post (where he had success with Boston) since all of our other 4s and 5s can shoot (Collins, Meyers, Swanigan, Harkless). Put those two in the corners and run motion around Turner or let him attack. This is the best spot to use him in.

As far as sets go, I'd want them to have a few basic sets that actually involve some motion towards the rim and some off-ball movement from our guards. I want Dame to run the baseline more like Steph Curry does.

Here's a few basic actions on of this 4-Out High Post structure.
    HORNS -
    Probably the most popular type of set in the NBA, it usually involves two high posts but can be ran with 4-out and 1 high post, as what would usually be the other high post simply starts in the corner instead of the high post.
    -- Easily sets up for a screen, but also involves actions like a guard entering to the high post and screening down towards the corners, with variations in movement providing different actions. We run some Horns, but I'd like to see us variate the action some more. Go back and watch Nurkic's assists and you'll see a few similarities with this video.

*Skip to the 7min. point to see the types of actions I want to see us run with Nurkic out of the high post.

OTHER MOTIONS:
    - Instead of a two-guard front, stack Dame/CJ under Nurkic then run this. If nothing produces, it puts us in our structure. Creates a quick 1-on-1 situation with a defender who's not set.

- We need to run more floppy. Lots of player movement, screens, and fade/curl options.

- Can be run easily out of 4-out 1-high structure. I like this because it makes it much harder for the big to trap Lillard/Nurkic screen n rolls due to the cross screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3TbkFMfgk

Obviously there would be more to this offense in reality. I might add more videos to this in the future. Let me know what you think.

2. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

TLDR

BonesJones likes this.
  3. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I’ll check it out later, though!

BonesJones likes this.
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    A lot of work went into this and I appreciate that. I don’t know how I feel about the Turner at the high post section, it seems like they’d be in terrible position to rebound the ball and on long rebounds the bigs would be way behind the other teams transition offense, I guess you could play the once a shot goes up everyone gets back on defense style, but you really limit second chance points.

I think Collins or Nurk could play from the FT line extended ‘area’ like you mention for Nurk in point 2 and somewhat in one, but I think in order to make that effective they will have to be much more aggressive shooting and diving to the basket from that position. Last year Nurk at times was so passive from there other teams would dare him to take it and he would force passes into very tight windows.

Just my two cents, Was a good read.

Hoopguru likes this.
  5. BonesJones

You don't structure an offense based off of offensive rebounding. You structure it so there's fewer offensive rebounding opportunities in general.

All bigs would be close to each other, and they're bigs have to maintain defensive rebounding position. So either we crash and battle for the board like always, or get a head start running back on defense. 2nd chance points were limited by letting Davis go. We might have less 2nd chance points but our transition defense would be better since wed get a head start getting back. Its a trade-off. Also, players dont have to remain in those spots, its more a starting point for which individual actions can progress out of. So the rebounding concern of yours doesn't make sense.

I don't like ET in general, but he showed in Boston that he was best playing around the elbow and pinch post.

We need more aggressive dives to the rim, that's something I've been wanting for years. Nurk needs to learn how to make the right decision. If he does, he'll be lethal. But we have to put him in those situations so he can learn from them.

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    You’re right you don’t want to run your whole offense around getting offensive rebounds, my point was just that in that particular situation with ET you’re in a bad position to get them and your slowest players are furthest away from the opposing teams basket meaning stopping the fast break ‘could’ become an issue. I guess the way I’d solve that is to put Meyers on the wing and one of the guards in the corner.

I agree we need more aggressive play towards the rim, I just think Nurkic / Collins could be effective in that position near the line and maybe a foot or two above it if they showed they’re willing to dive towards the basket and shoot the shot if left open.

Kind of drives me nuts when they won’t take wide open 15 foot shots, you only need to make a couple to make teams guard you which opens things up.

I agree with most of your post though, and I see your arguements here.

Chris Craig and BonesJones like this.
  7. BonesJones

Bigs in the corner can start running back when the shot goes up, or they can crash. If they crash, they'll be in the same position they're always in when they crash. If they don't, they get a head start running back. This offensive structure wouldn't end up with us giving up more fast break points than any other structure.

8. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I liked it Anyway.

BonesJones and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What is your example of a side pick and roll?

Because I see pick and roll from the wing.

10. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Anyway Stotts usually only send one man to offense rebounds. Nice job with this offense that you drew up. I do agree we need be more aggressive to the rim by cuts. Instead the weave we do on top of the key. Or our guards pounding the ball at the top of the key looking for there shot.

11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I like it. I think it would work well.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    One of the major issues with spacing is the Blazers didn’t have many guys that opposing teams were scared could put the ball on the ground and go around them if they closed out hard. Part of spacing is not just can you shoot but can you dribble, and actually do something with the dribble.
    If I can sell out in my close out it means I can sag off of you more (clog the paint) up than if I know I need to stay attached to you not just because you can shoot, but because if I close out at full speed you’ll go right around me.
    This is why Meyers is like no threat to me, his wind up to shoot is so slow that teams know he can shoot but still sag off of him because unless he is just wide open he won’t get a shot off and he’s no threat at all when it comes to putting the ball on the floor.
    This is where I think some of the new guys can help, Trent, Stauskus, Curry are all capable shooters and if you close out they’re all capable of hurting you by pump fake and go.
    Again this is a good write up and the Blazers do some of these things already it would be cool to see some of it implemented more.

Chris Craig, HailBlazers and dviss1 like this.
  13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

agree 100%
    Harkless needs to be the guy that drives and slashes rather than float around all the time.When he puts his mind to it, and he feels he has the green light, he excels.

Chris Craig, dviss1 and Propagandist like this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Yeah, Harkless needs to be able to show and go.

He has no offensive go to move. Still....

Hoopguru and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  15. BonesJones

That's side pick n roll. Initiated from the FT-Line- Extended part of the floor.

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

That's not a side pick and roll. A side pick and roll is on the baseline.

17. BonesJones

Not necessarily. It's a pick n roll from one side of the floor.

18. BonesJones

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

20. BonesJones

Agreed. Just used it to illustrate what I mean by side pick n roll.