How long for Stotts?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Nov 16, 2018.

?

How long will Stotts be the coach?

1. He's gone if they fall below 4th in the WC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He's gone if they lose in the 1st round again

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. He will coach through this contract

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. He will stay as long as Dame wants regardless of results

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    A nice start to begin the season (even with the last 2 losses) but I'm not really seeing anything different than in the past.

They still don't run or get easy baskets
    They still don't get many assists
    They don't force many turnovers
    The 'ball movement' quickly breaks down to ISO possessions
    No matter how many pieces are added, the same issues remain

Not to mention, in the Playoffs, his winning percentage is a paltry .300
    Yes, that can be rationalized away as often happens with production that poor, but despite a supposedly top back court in the league (on offense), adding Nurkic, adding more outside shooters in Sauce and Curry, having Collins develop, I don't see much difference from years past when it comes to fundamentals or execution.

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    We're still tied for second in the West. Do you honestly think we have the "tied-for-second-in-the-West" best roster? If the answer is "no" then we're overachieving.

BBert likes this.
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Only took the first 2 game losing streak to start the "Fire Stotts" thread.

Crazy talk.

riverman, calvin natt, Rhal and 2 others like this.
  4. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

5. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

These last 2 games, does the team look motivated to you?
    Does it appear they are listening to Stotts, or just doing what they want?

I've been in the pro-Stotts camp - but these last couple of games, something is wrong. He is having no positive influence on the outcome of the game at all. If this continues for the rest of the roadtrip, a change is needed. Letting the situation fester accomplishes nothing.

It won't happen, of course. The safe bet is that nothing meaningful will happen about anything until the ownership question is sorted out.

brooklynballer likes this.
  6. kjironman1

They played hard and fought till the very end against the Lakers. They had a terrible shooting night tonight. These are road games. They happen.

riverman likes this.
  7. oldmangrouch

I have to respectfully disagree. Against the Lakers, it looked to me as if the only real effort was on offense. The defense looked downright indifferent. Tonight, there wasn't enough energy on either end.

8. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Give me some credit Ive been consistent in my feelings on Stotts for a very long time. I think he’s an ok head coach, they could do worse. I mainly just want to see if some other coach with a new system, new ideas could shake things up to take this team further. Sure it could blow up in their faces I know.

Now that PA’s gone (RIP), Im not sure we will see them do anything even remotely close to risky. No meaningful trades, Stotts will be there. Its going to be a lot of much of the same for a while I think.

9. kjironman1

The Blazers played about as well on defense as anyone could have that night against the best player on the planet making shots he doesn't usually make so yeah they were a bit overwhelmed. But they played tough that game. IMO.

riverman and oldmangrouch like this.
  10. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I wish he was gone after the Pelican series.
    However I'm not a fan of mid-season coaching changes.
    Last time Portland did this they promoted kaleb canales. If that's your best option, then you're best playing out the season and making changes in the off-season.

LuckyShot likes this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I predicted 40 wins.....he's doing great!

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    What about our last two wins against Milwaukee and Boston? Was something right? Or are all our wins flukes?

riverman likes this.
  13. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Yep.... You picked a number..... Just like us.

And you're a NERD..... Just. Like. Us.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

I'm hoping we go below .500 by Christmas or sooner so that we can show him the door. Olshey did his part this off-season.....Stotts didn't, and hasn't performed up to expectations. As usual.

I doubt Olshey is going to be nearly as patient with Stott's incompetence as Allen was. I think as soon as he sees an opportunity, he'll fire Stotts.

In 6 years with this team....or is it 7?.....he's barely above .500. That's pathetic.

15. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

It's not about record....record wasn't even talked about. I even mentioned that they have had a nice start. But even in that start, many of the same things that have been going on for years, applied. And it wasn't a "fire Stott's" thread as @kjironman1 mentioned....there is nothing in there that says, implies or insinuates firing Stotts other than to ask the question of how long he will be around.

Stotts' history is one of mediocrity to just above average and in the Playoffs, it's much worse. Some fans are fine with that and that is their right. Some people are okay with a very offensive minded back court that is poor on defense year after year. (Yeah, stats can say anything but both are average to poor defenders) Being a 'nice' team that just makes the Playoffs is just fine to some and again, there is nothing wrong with that.

But for the same reason, there is nothing wrong with wanting more, wanting better, and expecting that from this coach and this core seems wishful at best. AS a fan I wish with all of my Blazer red blood they could really contend but the reality in me says otherwise.

Haakzilla and Jade Falcon like this.
  16. oldmangrouch

Remember Nate's last season as Blazer coach? The team got off to a great start. Something happened that caused Nate to lose the locker-room. Within weeks the season turned into a dumpster fire.

YMMV, but I always thought Nate was a decent coach and a very good human being. He didn't deserve to have the team turn on him like that, but it happened. I never again want to see the franchise waste an entire season letting something like that fester.

Does that clarify my POV?

17. borim69

borim69 Well-Known Member

My belief is that if we get swept again in the first round like last year Stotts will be gone, I actually thought he would be gone after last season. If we get a tough team in the first round this year and put up a good showing he will probably stay. Right now the Organization is looking to keep stability to sell the team and try to attract FA's and buyers. I really cant see them firing Stotts midway through the season especially if we keep above .500.

Hoopguru and Jade Falcon like this.
  18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Almost all the teams in the Playoffs are tough teams. The whole, "they were a bad match-up" stuff just kills me. PHX won't be in the Playoffs and neither will the Cavs. Even if the Blazers were to get the #1 or #2 seed, right now that would be against the Lakers or the Pelicans. If healthy, does anyone feel good about the outcome of those series?

At some point, we might have to admit that a team built around Dame/CJ with Stotts as coach just isn't getting very far and is just a nice little team with nice guys that doesn't do much damage when it really counts. If that is good enough for some, so be it. But to ask the question seems okay as well.

19. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

All of the reasons that you have highlighted are the reasons I have not watched more than half of a game this entire season. Every time I tune in, I find the play style unwatchable.

jlprk and Jade Falcon like this.
  20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Sometimes it is tough to take. As an alternative, I don't remember which high school, but there is one locally that runs a really good weave from what I hear. It's like Blazers-lite. :bgrin:

DaLincolnJones likes this.