How Long Have You Been A Warriors Fan?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by SIXPAK GQ, May 4, 2007.

1. SIXPAK GQ

SIXPAK GQ JBB JustBBall Member

I have been a fan since 1989.

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

I started watching basketball in 2004, so yeah.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Was raised a Warrior fan so I guess about 00'-01' I was old enough to really start following them and paying attention to them.

4. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    My first Warrior game was in 1985. I've been a die hard ever since. I have baby pictures from the late 70s in Warriors PJs, but that doesn't really count.

5. SIXPAK GQ

SIXPAK GQ JBB JustBBall Member

cohan : did you see the 74-75 finals when we won?

6. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I started to become a fan the year they drafted Antawn Jamison, which was like a year after the Sprewell incident. I went to my first game then, against Portland (NBA players especially Arvidas Sabonis are HUGE). Players on that team were named with all sorts of strange names including Mugsy Bogues, Bimbo Coles, Donyell (Marshall), Adonal (Foyle), and even Antawn had at least a strange spelling in his name. Before that I was just a youngster who liked the players for the most part. I liked the Lakers (because of Magic) in videos I watched of the good ol' 80s, and the Bulls (because of Michael Jordan) in the 90s. Golden State was the first team that I started to follow strongly from the NBA. So I guess this was about 1998 or 1999 or so (so I can only feel about half of what a lot of other Warriors faithful must be feeling right now).

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

01 I started watching basketball, I used to a Jordan/Bulls fanatic before then. 03 or 04 I became serious.

8. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">cohan : did you see the 74-75 finals when we won?</div>

My buddies always call me the Jinx because I was born in October of 76. My uncle had season tickets that year. Actually he was given an award for long time season ticket holders around 80 *He used to have tickets in the Cow Palace) and got to play keep away with Robert Parrish and another player on fan appreciation day, way back when.

9. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

Been a Warrior fan since the year Sprewell choked Carlisimo. I watched them beat the Orlando Magic in a regular season game and haven't stopped watching since. I still wonder if it would have been different if I watched them lose. I think they only won about 15-20 games that year.

10. AnimeFANatic

Anyone get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of 2007's in this thread later? hahaha

11. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I am...lol getting a lot of people who are NOW just fans since we made the playoffs. First thing i say to them are, "Where were you when we were 9 games out of the playoffs?"

12. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">iLL PiLL Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I am...lol getting a lot of people who are NOW just fans since we made the playoffs. First thing i say to them are, "Where were you when we were 9 games out of the playoffs?"</div>

How about "where were they during the last 12 years out of the playoffs?" [​IMG]

They better have been too young to follow them like we do. I can't believe the Warriors are doing this well... Even Nelly stopped believing at one point, and I thought we dug ourselves deep out of the playoffs race because of who we had earlier in our roster (the DunMurphy Duo who most of us dreaded and blamed for why we were so weak inside on both ends of the floor). But then guys like Sjax found themselves a valuable regular season role to put next to guys like Biedrins, Jrich, Baron, and Ellis. Oh and Harrington is good too, but sometimes I question his ability to play certain positions and his enthuisiasm for playing the role that Nelson wants him to play most: Power Forward or Center.

It's been a great season. And dammit I'm so superstitious that I'm afraid to believe publicly or else it will jinx the Warriors. So I have to be negative for show because I'm afraid to change or else it means the Warriors might lose! [​IMG]

13. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Half season before when we drafted Webber. At that first year, I had no idea what was going on. All-Star was probably the first game I watched. I remember that a bald guy played very well. It turned out that 'he' was Hardaway AND Barkeley. I couldn't differentiate them at that time. Then, by an accident, I saw the same guy (Hardaway) playing very well for Warriors. That's the time when I realized that we actually have a local team named "Warriors". I started to follow Warriors since then, and after excellent year with Webber and Sprewell, I had to endure miserable 12+ years. Actually, I couldn't watch any PO at 94, and I thought I will just watch next year's PO. Turned out that it took 13 years. But, it was definitely worth it. I don't know what will happen in 2nd round. But, tonight is for diehard Warriors fans, who stayed with this club regardless of what happened in last 12 years...

14. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Kwan, you da man. I followed the Warriors kind of half assed when they lost, but really got back in full swing in 2001-2002 when they still lost, but were actually exciting because they didn't have as many veteran stiffs to boo at.

But does it still count as following the Warriors when you watch them, but know nothing of the actual players? I think it does like you mentioned the "bald guy" [​IMG] I wasn't even paying attention to Jamison half the time, even though he was a great scorer. He was just so... unorthodox and soft on D. The 2001-2002 Troy Murphy was pretty good. I loved 2003-2004 Erick Dampier and Brian Cardinal. I liked Gilbert Arenas and Earl Boykins. Flashes of Jrich were exciting throughout. Loved Clif and Nick Van Exel + Speedy Claxton. But man... now I'm all about Sjax and Baron because those two get it done in the playoffs. Yeah baby!

15. AnimeFANatic

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kwan, you da man. I followed the Warriors kind of half assed when they lost, but really got back in full swing in 2001-2002 when they still lost, but were actually exciting because they didn't have as many veteran stiffs to boo at.
    </div>

I just started watching basketball in 2004, I really didn't understand the game at the time. And because I live in the Bay and the only team to watch on a consistent basis was the Warriors, I learned the game of basketball from them and grew to love this franchise. I'm new to the game and the team, but I really do feel I'm a die-hard Warriors fan. I thank the guys here at JBB Warriors for teaching me a lot. I'm actually surprised at how much I know about the game and the Warriors now, it became evident to me when I had the misfortune of listening to bandwagon fans recently hahaha.

"Man! When did Al Harrington go to the Warriors?! He's like one of my favorite players!" And this was said to me last week... Atrocious!!

And when my friend was at game 3, a "fan" behind him would yell "Who's number 5?!?" LOL [​IMG]

16. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Oh no I am the ancient one here.

I can remember watching that Championship series sitting across from my Granpa. I was big into stats at the time and would keep score of the games. The names get jumbled as what season as i was pretty young the championship year.... but i can name almost everyone, from barry, wilkes, the johnsons, i remember george doing the barry granny shot for free throws too, cliff ray, robert parish, sonny parker, jeff mullin, gus williams, derek dickey, phil smith, etc. I don't remember the significance of winning the championship or the sweep of baltimore as i was too young. But i remember rarely missing a televised game on KTVU with the greatest announcer ever, Mr. King.

EVery training camp they would hold open practices at San Jose City College and we would go and watch the scrimmages. I have a pennant that most of that championship team signed for the following year including rooks parish and parker.

I also remember the absolute pain as a fan as just like my beloved A's that Charlie dismantled after their championship run first Reggie Jackson to Baltimore and CAtfish to the Yanks and soon every one followed Rudi, Bando, Tennace, Fingers, Blue etc....

The Warriors team was dismantled just like that, barry to houston, williams to seattle, parish to boston, wilkes to the lakers, then phil smith..... it was torture as a fan.

Then came purvis short, bernard king, world b free and the final dagger the joe barely cares era after the give away trade of parish/mchale rights.

I would say i have been a long suffering fan and what an incredible night and series this was.

17. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I've probably been a Warriors fan for the longest here. I'd say it's been about two weeks, give or take a couple of days. [​IMG]

18. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

I've been rooting for the Warriors to pull an upset on Dallas, and I'll be rooting for them to go all the way. I'm more of a J-Rich fan than anything.

The style that they play is so fun to watch. Aside from Phoenix, I think Golden State is one of the best run and gun teams in the NBA. I wish the Raptors could play like that.

19. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Since Run TMC.

20. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Since 1989-90 -- the Run TMC years.

What a team that was! It had Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin who became the highest scoring trio in the history of the NBA with their run n' gun style. Other notables were Rod Higgins, Terry Teagle, Sarunas Marciulionis, Tom Tolbert, Winston Garland, Manute Bol, and host of other "famous" people like Uwe Blab, Chris Welp, Mike Smrek, and Alton Lister. The head coach was Don Nelson.

Jim Petersen, Tyrone Hill, Mario Elie, and Vincent Askew came the following year as well as Paul Mokeski and Les Jepsen. They made the playoffs and beat the San Antonio Spurs with David Robinson and Terry Cummings to advance to the second round. Check this out, the Spurs also had Sean Elliott, Willie Anderson, Rod Strickland, Paul Pressey, Sidney Green, David Greenwood, and Avery Johnson. The head coach again was Don Nelson.

Guess Avery still can't beat the Warriors and Nellie in the playoffs [​IMG].