how many years does Garnett have left?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by olskoolfunktitude, Nov 14, 2006.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

I'm not talking about years in the league. Garnett is fit enough, fundamentally sound enough, durable enough and hungry enough that he could be one of those guys who can earn a spot on most teams in the league until he's 38.

but as fans who have watched him day in and day out and seen the kind of wear and tear he takes through a season throughout his career, how many more years do you think KG has where he will be one of the absolute best players in the game on both sides of the court? A player who could be the best player on a championship team. If his rebounding numbers stay roughly the same this year as they are now then his rebounding nmbers will have slightly declined in each of his last 4 seasons. Duncan has experienced a similar decline but his scoring numbers have declined as well whereas KG's have sort of fluctuated evenly without much rise or decline. And is KG's D still all-defensive team quality?

I'm also curious to see whether you folks would rather see KG finish his career as a T-wolf or see him go to a contender and win a championship?...or does he have enough time to wait for the Wolves to build a real contender around him?

I just get so sick of people ragging on Garnett as a guy who puts up numbers but "can't win" when in reality he's everything you need in a top pllayer on a championship team and would undoubtable win a ring with the right guys around him.

2. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

I think KG will continue his insanely high level of play for another 4 years. Is that enough time to put championship talent around him? Not with McHale as our GM and Casey as our coach. Smith appears to be on his way to actually being something in this league, and Foye is coming around. We have a defensive stopper in Hassell, so all we need is some actual talent. Not Ricky Davis, who is athletic and a descent shooter, but doesn't seem to play with any passion. I'm not sure about Mike James yet, but if a Mike Bibby type pg becomes a possibility I say dump him. Blount is horrible and is a cap cancer.

I would love to see KG get a ring as the premier player wherever it is. I just hope the Twolves get some young talent and cap relief if we do trade him.

3. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Garnett has a good 4-5 years. He's the guy that I want to win a ring before he retires besides A.I and Jason Kidd.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I'd say 3-4 more years is KG's window to playing at an All-Star level. I already notice he attacks a lot more from the perimeter, and he's lost a step on defense. His lateral quickness isn't as explosive as it was a few seasons ago, and it prevents him from recovering after biting on an offensive players first move.

5. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'd say 3-4 more years is KG's window to playing at an All-Star level. I already notice he attacks a lot more from the perimeter, and he's lost a step on defense. His lateral quickness isn't as explosive as it was a few seasons ago, and it prevents him from recovering after biting on an offensive players first move.</div>

I've noticed that too. It didn't used to matter if he fell for pumpfakes because he could just get back immediately. Now he seems to get beat every once in a while.