'Hungry' Joakim Noah focused on regaining star footing

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Aug 18, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Joakim Noah is sitting on a stool in the back room of a shoe store, and he’s getting deep.

“Sometimes, you think you know,” he said. “But you don’t know the whole story.”

Oh, to know the whole story of the 2014-15 Chicago Bulls. Not the front office’s story, not Tom Thibodeau’s story, not the players’ story, but the whole thing -- from every side. A story of distrust, hurt feelings, hurt body parts, tension, turmoil and another LeBron James-led sendoff to the summer.

But alas, Noah isn’t too interested in delving into the past -- not for public consumption, anyway. He’s all about "his moment," he said, and living in the now. That quote is about the movie "Straight Outta Compton," which he had seen earlier in the day. He loved it and said he learned a lot about the West Coast rap supergroup.

Read more http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/jon...joakim-noah-focused-on-regaining-star-footing

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Very good article. Good to hear Noah say that his knee feels great and how hungry he is to make up for last year's "lost season."

3. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I found this interesting.

Hoiberg went to Spain to visit with Gasol and Mirotic too, so it looks like he's spending his summer travelling to meet with his roster. I think Kerr's approach to last season, traveling to meet his roster and coaching summer league, is the new blueprint for rookie coaches.

4. transplant

Spot on. A little over a year ago, Kerr summed up his coaching mantra:

link

5. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I'm surprised other coaches haven't done it before.

I mean.....really? Having a good rapport with the best players on your roster isn't really important for a coach? It seems like common sense, but some ideas are underutilized for mysteriously long periods of time.

6. transplant

I think it's a generational thing. Old-school coaches believe that maniacal conditioning combined with their X and O stratagems can rule the day. The Popovich school is collaborative and player-centric. Rivers, Kerr and Hoiberg appear to be proponents of this school.

7. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if the new approach will get him on the all-NBA first team again. That will be great news if it does.

8. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Eh, I honestly think its probably more of a personal choice than a new school verses old school type of thing. I always thought Larry Bird was a solid head coach and I think I remember Bill Simmons saying like he never drew up a play, instead concentrating on managing his assistants and roster. Regardless, I think a more collaborative coach is probably right for this team now given the experience on the roster.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015