Hypothetical: If the Warriors get the number 1 pick...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by EGame, Mar 24, 2010.

1. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

So I am watching the Warriors against the Grizzlies currently and it is good to note that the Grizzlies are about to lose. However, as I have been watching this game I realize the Warriors have sucked this year. It is possible that they can get the number 1 pick and possibly select John Wall. Now, unless they go really small with a lineup of Curry, Wall, and Ellis it would seem they may have to trade one of them. So unless they select someone of a need over Wall if they had the number 1 pick, could we potentially get Curry, that pick, or Ellis? I think it would be hard pressed for them to give up Curry, I think they are more willing to trade Ellis, but is he someone we want with rumors of attitude problems and him not being that great of a shooter. What do you guys think, if they don't get the number 1 pick then nothing probably becomes of this, but if they do, what do you guys think? Any Warrior fans who post here could possibly give insight on the topic as well.

2. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I think I'd rather take Morrow off their hands. Ellis/Roy just doesn't seem right.

3. EGame

Morrow is an excellent shooter, no doubt. I would really like to get Curry and wonder if we put some sort of offer of Rudy, Bayless, multiple picks, Webster, whoever else if we can make it happen? Like I said I know the Warriors love Curry and this is all dependent on if they get the number 1 pick, but I think it is a possibility we could put a package together they could potentially like?

4. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Curry isn't going anywhere. If anyone goes it'd be Ellis because of his contract. Next year Curry could possibly give you exactly what Ellis does yet make substantially less. He also comes off as a pretty likable guy, and you tend to keep those guys.

5. EGame

Well obviously he is liked by Golden State, I mentioned that multiple times. I am just wondering with the potential of adding a John Wall, if they would be more willing to trade Curry or even the number 1 pick. I agree they would try and move Ellis first, that is the most logical move, however, if hardly any teams give up much for Ellis (or the Warriors don't like any of the offers for Ellis), I just wonder if we could try and make a sweet deal for Curry. I mean, they could keep all three or draft for need rather than BPA, but if they selected Wall and kept Curry and Ellis, that lineup will get abused I would imagine.

6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    They love Curry and Wall is the kind of phenom that no team will want to pass on. So in the extreme longshot scenario that Golden State wins the lottery, I think Ellis (who's also going to be far and away the most expensive of the three and has had friction with the club) will be moved.

The Ellis of before the moped accident would have been a nice fit alongside Roy. He took a big drop after that, but may be getting back to that form.

7. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I dunno. At one time I was really intrigued by Ellis, but his lack of maturity, and the way his game has developed in the past year or so has kind of soured me on him.

8. BenDavis503

BenDavis503 Banned User BANNED

Computer Geek
    Only thing I want from them is Curry and Biedrins.

9. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Curry is who I'd want. Like I've said before, he's the ideal PG to pair up with Roy. A 3 point shooter, who moves well off the ball and a creative passer. It would make Roy's life so much easier. That said, I don't think there's as big a gap talent-wise with NBA GM's between Wall and Turner that you can say Wall is a must for the 1 spot. I think its similar to Chris Paul and Deron Williams in that either way your getting a stud.

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

This summer, there are going to be more teams with max-level capspace than there are max-level free-agents. If GS wants to trade Ellis, they will likely find a taker amongst one of those teams unable to lure a top-tier FA. I think it's highly unlikely that we would be involved in any GSW deals.

11. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I agree. No way they deal Curry, he is the face of their franchise. The team is for sale and Curry is looking like the type of player you can build a team around.

The Nets are getting the #1 pick.

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

geographically the W's are (along with the Kings) Portland's closest rival. So yeah... very unlikely that there would be a major swap between the two. Also, consider what they'd want to round out their lineup. They've already got a glut of good guards including Azubuike at the two who was kicking butt before going down with a knee. They need front court help. Biedrins has been a headcase & major disappointment this season. Randolph and Wright are very green and unproven. 6'5 Maggette will be 31 next season and is their only semi-decent option at the 3.

If Ellis is the guy on the block, his 11M annual salary needs to fetch frontcourt talent which I don't see Portland as having that much to spare. However, I do think he would form a tremendous backcourt with Brandon.

STOMP

13. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

No way the W's trade Curry, Ellis would be the first to go. And I agree zagsfan that Wall may not be the clear cut #1. If GS did get the top pick, I'd rather they take Evans. But even then, they would probably still trade Ellis. I can even see them trading Ellis and pick to get an All-star big.

I'm not sure about all the problems with Ellis that you all are referring to. At the draft he said what everyone though, the he and Curry couldn't play together. He shouldn't have said it but ithas not shown on the court. His shooting has improved, 45% from the field and 33% from 3. His 3pt % has improved every year and you figure it would increase more if he didn't have to play 48 minutes and take so many shots every game. He can actually play decent D too. check out the W's/Lakers game a few days ago, he did a pretty good job on Kobe. The problem is that, again, he has no backup so he can't play physical D all game; it just takes too much energy. I think that is why he gambles so much, even Nelson said yesterday that he instructs Ellis to go for the steal rather that try to stay in front. And he seems to have regained his quickness since before the accident. he definately has some flaws, like all players, but what are you guys seeing that is so bad about him?

Also, the W's reportedly turned down Mayo and Thabeet for Ellis, although I think they should have taken it. You will not get him for guys like Rudy and Bayless when Nelson has a history of finding guys at that level in the D league or undrafted guys (Morrow, Watson, Azubuike, Williams). To get him, and I'm not necessarily saying it's a good deal, I think you'd have to give up LMA.

14. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I agree; that's pretty close to 'fair value' even thought it violates the whole 'never trade big for small' maxim. Other than that I think you're pretty much spot on; I don't see the Dubs needing guys like Bayless and Rudy, when Nelson seems to have this knack for finding cheap shooters in the D-league that fit his system just fine.

15. EGame

Thank you for the insight. I don't know, it seems there is always some sort of rumor of Ellis having an attitude problem, there isn't one example I can give because I don't exactly remember, but they could also be false too. Anyway, I and others are not very big on Aldridge, however, I personally wouldn't trade him for Ellis just because he isn't the greatest of shooters still. He may have improved that part of his game, which is great, but he still isn't at an elite level/great shooter who Roy can depend on consistently as he kicks it out to him. LMA for Curry I would do, but as I and other suggested such as yourself WarriorFan, he isn't going anywhere.

16. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I've always said, the worst record is not where you want to end up when it comes to getting the #1 pick. 4th worst seems like it wins out more often than not.

I'd be very hesitant to give up anything of value for a Nellie scorer... If they've shown they can produce at similar levels in a more traditional system, then no worries. But there's too many examples on that team (pretty much everyone but Maggette and Curry!) of players that were basically nobodies before becoming highly efficient offensive players under Nellie's system.

17. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Anthony Morrow is the guy I'd love to raid from them. They are enamored with Reggie Williams and we need someone who does nothing but drill 3's..Morrow would be a buy low type of guy for us to back up Roy. It also opens the door to package Rudy or Marty if we obtained him.

18. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

So explain this to me. I believe that numbers are inflated on Nellie teams, but there's no reason to believe that a good scorer on GS won't be a good scorer anywhere else. J-Rich was still a good scorer in Cha and is even more efficient now in Pho. Morrow led the league in 3 pt shooting %, I would think that would go up on a team with an inside presence. Monta won't score 26 on Por, but he will still be able to do all the things he does now, namely getting to the rim. If anything, I think the difference in style would be a benefit to the blazers. With a decent outlet pass, Ellis is a fast break all by himself and I think Portland could use a few more transition buckets.

19. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

J-Rich is an interesting example. Is he really considered the same caliber of player as he was in GS? Seems to me he went from a borderline all-star to a complimentary player that has a big scoring game every now and then.

I don't doubt that some of those players could do very well on other teams, it's just that few coaches have Nellie's knack for bringing out the absolute best in average players at one end of the court (and obviously, the worst at the other end). It's so tough to know what the real value is of a player from that system.