OT I Heard a Very Interesting Analysis of the Riot

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Lanny, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I wish I could remember who said this but it as shown on MSNBC.
    Someone stated that when we saw the riot January 6, we were witnessing a backlash to all the progressive changes that we are going through that are threatening the lives of the Far Right fringe groups. Examples are the sudden popularity of Black Lives (also) Matter and equal rights for homosexuals. The main thrusts are the progressive movements and the secondary effects are these backlashes. This gave me renewed hope that right will triumph over wrong in the long run.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I don't think that's really anything new though. they've hated that "the gays" "the blacks" and "the coloreds" are getting equal rights, and they are under the grand delusion that others gaining rights and equality has a negative impact on their rights and equality.

they see that their group (usually white people) is losing power and instead of seeing that it's a higher economic class that screws them over, they blame people and ideologies.

liberals and progressives aren't why manufacturing jobs are leaving the country and aren't coming back (a simple grade school understanding of history should explain that), it's the businesses.

And some of the issue is that some refuse to see themselves for what they are (poor) because they perceive themselves to be wealthier than they are. Poor people are users, we're not!

It's easier to blame minorities for your job loss, instead of blaming corporate greed. They're useful puppets (we all are to a degree, but they're especially good as puppets).

But the biggest issue they have is a severe lack of empathy for others.

3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Seems like you've seen the same analysis.
    Still, you've got to admit that the backlash hasn't been this pronounced before. I mean, storming the Capitol building with blood in your eye is a new low.

4. julius

singer songwriter
    I have not seen the analysis that you did, I've just taken a lot of history classes and watched a lot of documentaries on similar stuff.

Lanny likes this.
  5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Right does triumph over wrong in the long run. History shows that, while not a linear process, society grows more tolerant and progressive over time. Society is more progressive towards the LGBTQ+ community than it was 20 years ago (as shown by a conservative Supreme Court affirming gay marriage, or the rights for trans people to go by their expressed gender in many states), more progressive towards racial minorities than 20, 50 or 100 years ago (though clearly with quite a ways still to go in all these cases), etc. There are short periods where conservatives stall or even temporarily reverse progress, but by and large, the world becomes a more progressive place the further you go into the future.

That's why Martin Luther King Jr. memorably said, "The moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

That's why I try not to get too down about immediate setbacks, like elections not going "my" way. It's disappointing and many of the events that result thereupon, to racial minorities, LGBTQ+ minorities, women, can be heartbreaking--but I know that progress is inevitable.

6. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I guess I just assumed it was common sense/knowledge that this is exactly the cause, and they’ve been empowered to crawl out of their hiding holes by Trump.

It was simply confirmed by one of the insurrectionists being arrested at an airport recently, while he’s screaming at officers, saying, “You’re treating me like I’m f****** black!”

(I disagree with him, though. They merely put him in cuffs, not shoot him.)

ehizzy3 and THE HCP like this.
  7. julius

singer songwriter
    I think there is a difference between how people argue against points.

For example, the following things are not on equal grounds.

Person A hates people who are gay.

Person B hates that people hate people who are gay.

One is a choice (it is your *choice* to hate someone who is gay), the other is not (no one chooses to be gay). To hate someone for a choice they can make is far more valid than to hate someone for a choice they cannot make.

I hate that someone hates black people. But my hating the act of hatred of them hating black people is not the same as them hating black people. He can stop hating black people, they cannot stop being black.

Lanny likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The good thing that could come from this is the uprooting of hate groups like Proud Boys....who Timothy McVie hung with before his bombing.....they didn't arrest them all then...now they can...arrest these neo nazi's and make sure they cannot vote, purchase any weapons or ammo and be put on no fly lists ...they should be registered like pedophiles are and have to wear that badge of shame. I hope we go after them....this really all started in modern history with..."build a wall, all Mexicans are rapists and murderers and they are coming for your white privilege!" Hopefully this will be a wake up call for our way of dealing with a bad domestic terror problem.

9. julius

singer songwriter
    I don't necessarily want to go after them just because they are white supremacists, wait for them to commit some kind of crime. Although that opens the door to what is a "hate crime" in one persons eyes is "fighting for" their rights to another group.

I don't know how they can go about this though, as there are many loop holes out there and also people who would use those loop holes for their advantage.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

it all starts with those who abuse their positions and threaten the safety of our elected leaders and innocent citizens.....sure alot fall between the cracks but you have to go after white supremacists the way you would go after Cartels in Columbia....or the Mob in Chicago...the crimes are already there in most cases...the intent is all over social media and has been for too long