If Gorton doesn't trade Stepan, he should expose him to the draft

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Jun 17, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

I want nothing to do with that contract going forward. If he truly would do that then he should take what he can get for him.

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of packaging him in a Faulk deal but i don't think Carolina would move him. Getting Trouba would probably have more legs to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see something this weekend.

3. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

4. RangersFan

Gorton needs to move Stepan today. From what I have read the price is very high, and the Rangers want a top pair R shot dman back. Makes sense, but you have to get something done. Would also allow them to protect Lindberg, which needs to happen. If Stepan is here still, and Lindberg gets taken by LV I will be furious at Gorton. He cannot allow that to happen.

Initially I also was thinking leave Stepan unprotected and protect Lindberg over him, but I changed my thinking recently. If interest in Stepan is high that would be a bad move because LV would take him and then get an asset for Stepan, and all we do is clear 6.5 mill from the cap. The MUCH smarter play is deal Stepan by 3 please Gorton. If there is "serious interest" in him it should be a slam dunk to get a good return for Stepan, so leaving him unprotected would be a poor decision I think.

Gorton needs to close something today.

5. Ranger71

If it's Arizona they have no dmen outside of OEL and very little at forward except their 23 y/o. So that would seem to be a deal for picks and prospects. Seems like a bad fit unless it's more a cap clear. And if they have designs on Shatt would they trade for another dman AND sign Smith too? Will be interesting.

6. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

they won't trade Stepan

7. RangersFan

To me what you can do is deal Stepan for some good young talent, and then if you want to flip that for a player or keep it and get younger. Zona has a good deal of young talent upfront that we could swing a deal for.

On D, I think we have a plan that could be Shatt and Smith both added for just money. If you have those guys your top 4 is set with McD/Shatt and Skjei/Smith. That is a darn good and mobile top 4. And we have plenty of options for the 3rd pair. I like that D a lot.

Then you either go nice and young, and save some money upfront, or you flip the Stepan haul for a more proven forward (or even a top R shot dman instead of Shatt or Smith).

One thing I found interesting was reading the Jets have interest in Stepan and Raanta. Seems to me that we can work some package with them around Trouba. Who knows.

8. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

How about Stepan and Staal for OEL

9. Ranger71

They would never do that. Would take a 1st and Kreider thrown in.

10. RangersFan

No trades done by 3 today, so that means the Rangers cannot trade with anyone except LV until Thursday AM. Doesn't mean deals can't be worked out in principle though.

I would guess Holden is protected now as the 3rd dman (we'll find out the list tomorrow AM and it is due at 5 today).

All I will say is Gorton needs to move Stepan prior to July 1. And he better make sure LV doesn't select Lindberg. If he gets selected Gorton should get fired on the spot. He needs to ensure Lindberg is here.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

12. mrmel29

So everyone is safe depending on what vegas pegs their compensation at. Sounds like vegas wants a ton of draft picks and prospects over the next few years and will totally suck dick this year and in the foreseeable future.

13. kreidertime

Trust me. Gorton will fuck this up and we will lose Lindberg. Another 5 years of watching Stepan suck dick on faceoffs, costing us games.

14. RangersFan

If Gorton doesn't deal Stepan, I think he really has the wrong mindset on this. I am making the assumption that we can get a solid return for him based on what I have read. Obviously if the return is minimal/pennies on the dollar you keep Stepan. But if the return is solid, maybe not a HR but fair and good and solid, I think you have to do it and Gorton would be making a mistake if he didn't pull the trigger.

To me if something is going to happen it will be today or tomorrow. Sure it can happen next week also, but I would think with all the talk leading up to the expansion draft roster freeze, and now everyone being together in Chicago for the draft the next two days, the time is now. Technically we have until July 1st to deal him, but the next two days will be the time if it happens I think.

I for one would be very disappointed if he was here still and the only core change is Girardi bought out, even if we do resign Smith and add a Shatt or another RD to pair with McDonagh (I think we'll add two dmen like Smith and Shatt or Smith or Shatt and someone else or two other guys).

Get it done Gorton.

15. RangersFan

Bruce Garrioch writes in the Ottawa Sun that there is "a lot of talk" that the Rangers could move Derek Stepan but that the Rangers have not been "holding an auction" on him. (Ottawa Sun)

He writes that "the talk" is that Jeff Gorton is listening to see what teams may offer for Stepan in a trade. (Ottawa Sun)

Reports last summer indicated that the Rangers were doing a lot of listening on Stepan.

Stepan's name has reportedly been "prominent" in trade talks and that the Coyotes are a team with potential interest.

It's been said that the Rangers won't move Stepan unless they are able to get a top-pair right shot defenseman.

16. RangersFan

Larry Brooks writes that as of now there is no traction between the Rangers and Coyotes regarding a potential trade for Derek Stepan.

17. kreidertime

Of course not. Gorton has nuts like a chipmunk

18. mrmel29

Nice inside info Larry!! Bwahahahahaha. Gorts is stealth