OT If you are or have been in the Military- what do you think about the withdrawal from Syria?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Further, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    @BrianFromWA and other current military and veterans, I would love to hear your opinions regarding Trumps announcement that America will pull out of Syria in the next month, and that ISIS has been defeated.

2. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Edit - I mean withdrawal from Syria, not Syrian withdrawal which suggests it’s Syria that’s withdrawing. I wish I could edit bad titles.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  3. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Enter @riverman and @MarAzul to disagree on the definition of "surrender". Ten dollars on Marz not considering it surrender this time, for some reason.

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I edited it for you @Further

Further and SlyPokerDog like this.
  5. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Q. How did we just win a no win situation?
    A. We didn't.

There has been recent "reports" that the number of Iranian backed ISIS fighters in Syria has increased to about 15,000.

What do I think about the withdrawal?

I like to study history to find answers to todays problems. What history teaches us is. There is no way to win this type of war on the battlefield.

We can win conventional wars such as liberating Kuwait. And short term guerilla battles. But I was against the invasion of Iraq because it created a large oil rich area with no strong local government.

There is no way to win this type of warfare without killing tons of innocent people, and without the help of the non-radical Muslem lead countries. That will not happen.

Personally, I am feed up with policing the world. Let the locals sort it out.

6. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Bring all the troops home. Never should have been there in the first place.

stampedehero and MARIS61 like this.
  7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I agree with this. Why didn't Trump just say this to begin with. He had to lie to try and make himself look good. We didn't beat ISIS.

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    It wouldn't be hard for him to use this as the reason and end up looking good. but either he's incapable of not taking credit/ownership or something, or he's just a fucking idiot who doesn't understand how things happen.

9. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I just wish Trump would have consulted with military officials before deciding to do this.

10. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    and here is your answer

Lanny likes this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't want our troops in Syria but the way Trump did this I disagree with.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Im a 100% for it as congress never authorized us being their in the first place. Plus Im tired of American Soldiers fighting everyones else wars for them, doesnt mean we don't help some way but some of these wars where we are loosing lives are not winnable and Syria is one of them. My son is being deployed this October not sure where as yet, and as a parent I hope its where a difference can be made. The Syrian war is not winnable for any side, so bring our troops home from there.

Orion Bailey and MARIS61 like this.
  13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Its all about Isaac & Ismael anyway. never winnable!

Orion Bailey and oldfisherman like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Trump lied about ISIS being defeated...this much I know...my guess is he is using this as a distraction from the shit storm he's about to face at home. I would imagine he wants to sit back and sell weapons to the middle east. Doesn't say if our navy will leave the area. That this guy thinks the border is our problem and ISIS is finished....whew...didn't he just say ISIS is crossing our southern border bringing terror to our streets? Face it folks....Trump does NO homework when it comes to his job description and this is what you get when you elect someone who listens to no military briefings or advice from seasoned professionals.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That was Denny and I who argued for years about surrender

16. CupWizier

retired
    I agree, as long as all aspects of the situation have been evaluated but to claim Isis is defeated and then to walk away from the Kurds and leave them vulnerable to Turkey with basically no warning seems more like a political ploy rather than an educated and well calculated decision. I wouldn't be shocked if Trump is somehow getting kickbacks from Russia and/or Turkey. Seems rather coincidental that Trump took a call from Turkey's leader a couple days before the announcement.

17. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Ah, that's right. How could I forget?

riverman likes this.
  18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I don't know just who will disagree with me, but here is my opinion.
    When we go to war, for what ever the reason, where ever it is, it is up to the leader to let us know what victory will look like. That is, what it will look like to the leader, perhaps not what everyone would hope.

I give high marks to Trump for doing this. he even made it clear during his campaign for President. Decimate the ISiS fighting force in the then Caliphate territory.
    He sent the troops to perform that mission. He did not tell us the middle east would be a wonderful place when the missions was accomplished. There would not be an effective combat force there, and no successes to recruit with, just plain in effective. Mission Accomplished.

I applaud Trump for bringing the Troops home now. Perhaps the people that live there can make it a reasonable place to live now. Don't know, but I am
    very pleased Trump did not pledge to make Syria a democracy, that is a reach too far, perhaps unwinnable.

Those that say we should stay, need to define what "winning" in their view looks like. At what cost?

20. CupWizier

retired
    If it's well known that Isis has thousands and thousands of soldiers in Syria, how can one claim victory? Oh that's right, our president lies about almost everything, but good little fellas like you buy into the head up the ass Trump propaganda. This simply a political ploy to try and regain his dropping base. If Trump offered you an ocean front suite at a Trump Towers in Phoenix, Arizona, you'd buy into it as well. lol.

BonesJones likes this.