Igor Shesterkin

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jan 6, 2020.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Recalled. The future is now!! Wonder what the subsequent move will be as I don’t see a 3 goalie rotation

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

They can't send AG down so maybe Lundqvist or Georgiev will get the week off.

3. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Oh baby!

4. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Hank needs to be open to moving if any team has interest, Shesterkin and Georgiev are the future.

5. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

They have to be smart with this though. Hank can’t be moved until after this season honestly or else that could open up Shesterkin to the expansion draft. I am looking forward to seeing him play though.

6. Ranger71

I think the best move is to trade Georgiev instead of losing him possibly in the expansion draft. It's unlikely HL is moved until maybe next year, if at all. Georgiev may be no better than a backup anyhow, which they can pickup year to year or maybe Huska /Wall/Lindbom turn into one.

7. kreidertime

Not it won't. Shesterkin won't be elible for the expansion draft I believe. They will go with 3 goalies from what I hear so Shesterkin won't get enough games this season. I suspect he will play 9 games. Hank will probably be asked to retire at the end of the season. If he doesn't, good chance he might be released. Not bought out. Would hate to see him end it that way. Problem with a trade is he makes too much damn money. You would have to take an awful contract back which no way JD and Gorton will do.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  8. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

I feel like it would be totally foolish to have 3 goalies up barring an injury. Leave Shesterkin in the AHL where he can get valuable playing time instead of being a 3rd goalie up here sitting in the press box not doing anything. He can only play in 9 games before being available in the expansion draft. No need for him to be up here. As for Hank, I don’t see him waiving his NTC, and the return for him due to his ridiculous contract would be nothing, so unless it is just a salary dump he won’t be traded. Hank has this team in a bind because of his contract and his diminishing play.

9. Ranger71

Shesterkin is slated to start the AHL AS game so I'd think the plan is just to have him get his feet wet in NY for a few games and send him back to Hartford until they see what happens with Georgiev and the trade deadline.

10. kreidertime

Ideally, Hank would hang it up next year, Rangers would sign some crap vet goalie to expose to the expansion draft and not let Shesterkin play enough to be eligible. I also hope they get rid of Buchnevich, Fast and DeAngelo so they don't lose them for nothing. That is pointless to a rebuilding team.

11. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Draft rules for Seattle in '21 will be same as they were for Vegas. Seattle will take 1 player (14 forwards, 9 dmen, 3 goalies) from each team (except Vegas which makes no sense to me). Each NHL team must protect players with no move contracts and can protect 7 forwards, 3 dmen & a goalie. I think Seattle would be looking at our defense with the amount of talent in the hopper.

12. Ranger71

Shest will be protected either way, but Georgiev if still around might be the one exposed. I don't know if there's a games played requirement for goalies like for dmen/forwards. Hard to see AG not getting dealt at some point before then. Skjei and Strome will likely be on the list though it's hard to see them taking Skjei with that contract if he's playing poorly.

13. kreidertime

The difference with Shesterkin and Georgiev is he can steal games where the Rangers don't play thay great on a consistent basis. That's what a team with such a young defense needs to be 10 to 15 games over .500 instead of always hovering around .500. The key is how they feel about Wall. He should be in the Pack next year. Huska isn't bad. Wall could be a big factor in if they deal Georgiev.