Illinois Guard Turns Off Blazers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Deron Williams of Illinois is among several potential top draft picks who are raising questions about their willingness to compete.

Williams told the Portland Trail Blazers, who have the No. 3 pick in the June 28 draft, he would work out for them only if he was alone, not against other players. The Blazers told high school player Gerald Green to stay home after he declined to work out against others. Teams usually rely on such drills to gauge a player's toughness and desire.

Portland general manager John Nash said: "If they don't want to compete for the third pick in the draft, then it's hard for me to envision them competing 82 times a season."

Nash said he viewed Green's demand for a solo workout as a "sign of weakness and a lack of confidence."

Nash said Williams declined to work out against Washington guard Nate Robinson, an Earl Boykins-type pest who also played for the Huskies' football team.

Williams and Wake Forest's Chris Paul are considered the top two point guards in the draft. Paul also has been declining competitive sessions.

When asked why Arizona's Channing Frye declined to work out with Charlotte, coach/general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said: "To me, maybe it's a fear of competing."

Tuesday is the deadline for players to pull out of the draft and still keep their college eligibility. That's also when players such as Illinois' Luther Head will get a better idea of how far they will move up.</div>

Source

2. Faisal

Faisal JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Source </div>

Well here is a quote from Gerald Green given to the Associated Press:

"It is too big of a risk for me to work out with other players," he said. "I could sprain an ankle or tear an ACL. I just decided it was too big of a risk."

I can't help but agree with that. Sure individual workouts don't exactly give the best depiction of ones skills, but if you get injured in a workout, you're done for.

3. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

agreed...these players who are turning down workouts know that they are lottery picks, its just a matter of which team...therefore, theres no real point in risking injury for a workout...

4. DaAnswer3

DaAnswer3 JBB JustBBall Member

Have to agree with those above why workout when you know your in the lottery. Don't risk it all just because one team wants to match you up with someone else. If they can't get past that they never were interested in you in the first place.

5. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

Have only one word to describe them,it starts with a P and has 2 S in the middle [​IMG]

6. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

[​IMG] at the blazers being "turned off" by a quality kid like williams. this organization is completely f.u.b.a.r

blazer fans, i feel for ya [​IMG]