Is Charlotte tanking?

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by olskoolfunktitude, Jan 7, 2007.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

like, on purpose?
    okay. so this is a dumb thread, but...
    I'm really starting to think so. They've got enough talent to have a better record than they have. Maybe not a ton better but a good bit better. Emeka and Morrison hould have been able to lead them to another 4 or 5 wins by now. I think they're tanking on purpose to try to get a shot at Oden. I really hope they don't get the top pick. Having a big three of oden, okafor and morrison for the next several years would just be unfair unless youre a Charlotte fan in which case it ,must sound awesome.

2. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

We were talking about how scary that lineup would be in the Magic forum. Charlotte is a young team that's very inexperienced so it's hard to tell if they are actually tanking. It makes sense because one off year is worth a decade of Emeka, Oden, and Morrison but I don't know how you could prove that a team is losing on purpose. It's not like their rotations have been sketchy or anything.

3. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I don't think their tanking. I look at it this way, talent does not equal wins. You can have all the talent in the world, but it doesn't mean it's going to translate to wins. In their case, they're young and very talented, but that's therein lies their downfall as well. This team is still super young. Most of their main players (Felton, Morrison, May, Okafor) are still within their first three years in the league, and the other main man (Wallace) is still young and only in his 5th season, and only 3rd season getting minutes. So, while they're supremely talented, they're not ready yet. They remind me of the Bulls a few years back. The team was loaded with talent in Hinrich, Crawford, Curry, Chandler, etc., but could never get over the hump.

4. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Yeah, I don't really think they're tanking it. They just don't have all the pieces yet. They're a couple more quality big men away from being a formidable team.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Remix Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I don't really think they're tanking it. They just don't have all the pieces yet. They're a couple more quality big em away from being a formidable team.</div>I don't even think it's that. They have a trio of quality bigs (May, Okafor, Brezec), it's just lack of experience. Just because you have bigs, doesn't mean you'll succeed. Look at the Knicks. Eddy Curry is a very legit big and has played extremely well this year, but it hasn't translated into wins for them. On the opposite side, look at the Lakers. Their two best bigs are each hurt and are currently relying on a young and not quite ready Andrew Bynum to do most of the work, yet their winning. Or take a look at last years Suns. Their center was Boris Diaw, who stands maybe 6'8", yet they won 51 games and made it to the WCF.

6. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't even think it's that. They have a trio of quality bigs (May, Okafor, Brezec), it's just lack of experience. Just because you have bigs, doesn't mean you'll succeed. Look at the Knicks. Eddy Curry is a very legit big and has played extremely well this year, but it hasn't translated into wins for them. On the opposite side, look at the Lakers. Their two best bigs are each hurt and are currently relying on a young and not quite ready Andrew Bynum to do most of the work, yet their winning. Or take a look at last years Suns. Their center was Boris Diaw, who stands maybe 6'8", yet they won 51 games and made it to the WCF.</div>

That's true to a point, but even though we have Emeka Okafor and Sean May, the Bobcats have a very weak big man core; that's a not exactly a bad thing for some teams, but basically a handicap for other teams. Primoz Brezec is decent, but he's not aggressive or physical enough for a Center, the type of starting Center this team needs is a strong physical guy that you can put along in the front court with Emeka and Gerald. If it means that Bickerstaff goes out and finds a quality, experienced big man to help guide the Bobcats, then it's more than welcome. The experience will build up as the seasons progress, they just need to slowly put together the missing pieces as they go along.

7. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I blame the coaching for the Bobcats having another losing season. This team is young, but it's also loaded with a lot of quality players. Their players have college experience, so there's not much of an excuse for them needing time to develop into NBA players. Bernie is doing a great job as GM, but there's a lot to be desired in terms of his coaching.

The Bobcats have also had their share of injuries to key players, but well coached teams can keep a team respectable through key injuries.

I know Bernie is expected to step down after this season, so it's going to be crucial for the Bobcats to bring the right replacment in to coach this group and develop a system around their core.

I felt Larry Brown would have been perfect for the job, but he's in Philly as an executive now.

PJ Carlesimo would be high on my list aswell.

8. nutmeged3

nutmeged3 BBW Member

I don't think you'd be able to talk these young players into tanking theres to much passion on this team to do it.

Our main problem has been finishing games this year. The veteran teams just turn there D on in the 4th quarter and we can't stay with them. We also have had a problem of playing our best against every team. We'll come out and beat a top team or be in the game and then just get killed the next night

Morrison who should be our scorer just hadn't had it at all this season. Right now he was a horrible pick because he doesnt fit this team. Gerald Wallace has struggled most of the season untill recentley and both he and Brevin Knight have missed time due to injury.

On top of that Bickerstaff is just a horrible coach. His coaching patterns are just plain dumb. Subbing out an entire lineup or putting in several bench players at crucial times in games for no particular reason are just a few examples I really don't think Larry Brown would have been a good fit here he's known to dislike young players and this team is made up of rookie to 3rd year players.

Hermann, Morrison, Ely, and Brezec (to a smaller degree) have all been huge disappointments this year and that's a lot to take when the talent level isn't as high as other teams.

All in all I think too much was expected of a young team. We are eventually going to need to get some veterans to lead the team instead of just rookies

9. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">nutmeged3 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think you'd be able to talk these young players into tanking theres to much passion on this team to do it.</div>

Great point. After seeing the way Adam Morrison handles losing, I doubt he'd be alright with tanking.

10. Shapecity

I wouldn't give up on Morrison just yet. There's no doubt he's struggling, but he has to be leading the league in shots spinning out of the basket. Adam Morrison is getting great looks and is taking shots he can make, he's just had awful luck with his shooting touch. I'm sure he'll figure it out and his shots will start dropping at a high rate by next season. He's a tireless worker and has added new offensive moves every year he played college ball.

Morrison will eventually have to develop a more complete game, like passing, defense, and rebounding.

I still think he was the right pick for the Bobcats, he just needs time to adjust to the NBA.

Larry Brown doesn't like players who don't listen to him. However, the players the Bobcats have all come from elite college programs and they understand the importance of defense. Larry Brown loves to teach the fundamentals and preaches rebounding and defense above anything else. The first year might be rough and frustrating, but once their core guys bought into Brown's system, they would vastly improve.

11. nutmeged3

nutmeged3 BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldn't give up on Morrison just yet. There's no doubt he's struggling, but he has to be leading the league in shots spinning out of the basket. Adam Morrison is getting great looks and is taking shots he can make, he's just had awful luck with his shooting touch. I'm sure he'll figure it out and his shots will start dropping at a high rate by next season. He's a tireless worker and has added new offensive moves every year he played college ball.

Morrison will eventually have to develop a more complete game, like passing, defense, and rebounding.</div>
    I agree with that he has not been able to buy a basket. Bernie has been part of that everytime Morrison touches the ball Bernie immediatley is yelling shoot...shoot. He's trying to make Morrison strickly a 3 pointer shooter (which he can do) but he should be taking runners and mid range shots.

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I still think he was the right pick for the Bobcats, he just needs time to adjust to the NBA.</div>
    We do need a scorer, which is what Morrison is best at, but everything else he doesn't do makes it hard for him to be on the court. His lack of defense allows his man to get by him everytime and puts our bigs in foul trouble. Also, Morrison and Gerald contradict each other and can't play together. Gerald has to play straight up on his man instead of being able to jump passing laness and play help D

We needed a SG not another SF, Brandon Roy would have been the better pick IMO

12. Shapecity

IIRC the Bobcats had a lot of success with playing two PGs in the backcourt (Knight & Felton) last season. This might have factored into their decision to opt for Adam Morrison instead of Brandon Roy or Randy Foye.

I'm sure ticket sales also factored into the Bobcats selecting Morrison. They were banking on his popularity to grow their fan base.

It makes sense about your breakdown of Wallace and Morrison not being able to share the court at the same time. Wallace hasn't been able to gamble as much defensively from the weakside.

Maybe Bickerstaff had unrealistic expectations for Morrison right away. The better approach might have been putting AMMO into situations where he could succeed on the court and grow his confidence. Force him to earn PT by improving on defense and take the time to mold him into the scorer you envisioned when you drafted him.

13. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

You know, the thought of Okafor, Oden, and Morrison is VERY enticing.

As for Morrison, like Shape said, he's just had bad luck with his touch. Once they start dropping, I expect the Bobcats to start winning a little more.

Either way, I'm disappointed with this team. I really thought they would be a sleeper team and make a strong playoff push. I guess I was wrong.

14. elevate

elevate JBB JustBBall Member

I think it could be tanking. They may be trying to build up a legitamate contender team some time in the ner future. Thats a killer combo. Morrison, Okafor, and Oden. Who can compete with that once they come of age? Since the franchise is young, maybe the NBA would even let this slide so they can build up a team?

15. nutmeged3

nutmeged3 BBW Member

I guess this was a hell no since we kept winning when there was no reason too

Almost wish we had tanked since Durant would have helped us so much but good to know we didn't stoop that low like the 6 or so teams below us did