OT Is Harden a top-5 SG all time?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Mar 21, 2018.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Perhaps it's too soon after last night's game to be asking this question, and perhaps it's too early in his career for this to be a consideration, but I've started to wonder where Harden ranks on the NBA's all-time list of shooting guards. Jordan is obviously the clear #1, but after him arguments can be made for Jerry West, Clyde Drexler, Kobe Bryant, and Dwyane Wade. So I wonder, where does Harden fit in with that group?

http://bkref.com/tiny/gohdB

upload_2018-3-21_12-1-58.png

Obviously Harden has quite a way to go to catch the others in terms of cumulative stats, but his per-game numbers measure up comparably. He outpaces Wade and Drexler in ppg, leads all but West in apg, is behind only Jordan and Wade in 2p%, and has the best 3p% and efg% of the group. Also notable that he has the most TO/g of the group.

upload_2018-3-21_12-6-54.png

Looking at the "normalized" stats again shows he belongs in this discussion. Scoring figures are right on par with West and Kobe, has the most assists/36, and (not surprisingly) also has the most FTA/36 (interesting to see how far below the others Clyde is on FTA). Also has the best net rating of any SG not named Jordan, and takes the fewest shots (of course benefiting from the 3-point shot). The advanced stats also speak well of him, putting him behind Jordan and Wade in PER, behind only Jordan in WS/48 and BPM, and tops of the group in TS% and Ast%.

I don't like to admit it, but while Kobe/West are probably 2-3 (in whichever order you prefer), I think that at the age of 28, Harden is already basically neck-and-neck with Wade and Clyde. If the Rockets win a title this year--a nauseatingly real possibility--I think his position on that list is undeniable, and he'll have a chance to be the 2nd-best SG in NBA history by the time all is said and done.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    No. He's not even top 20. I mean two years ago, he didn't even make an All NBA team. This is a great season but you need to do more than that (like not losing a home game by 38 points against a Spurs team without Kawhi in the playoffs). Let's see him win a couple titles before we put him in top 10

BlazerWookee and Lanny like this.
  3. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

“I’m required by my employer to say yes” —referees

4. PtldPlatypus

I should call a foul on Kingspeed's post...

5. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    He's a top five flopping dildo...

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Are you kidding me? There's no way he ranks above Jerry West, The Big O, Michael Jordan, Kobe (the rapist) Bryant, Pistol Pete, Earl the Pearl, John Havlicek and George Gervin to begin with.

BBert likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

People really need to stop saying this... Kobe isn't a rapist. He was accused of rape. He did NOT rape her. And yes I'm defending Kobe because the truth matters.

Read his interview with police:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/kobe-bryant-police-interview

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm taking The Flopper over Pistol Pete.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

I considered Big O a PG and Iceman a SF. As for Hondo, Pistol, and Pearl, I wouldn't put any of them above the other 5 I listed in my OP. I'd say Maravich was the best of those 3, and I'd put Harden above him.

But to each his own.

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Yeah but so is The Flopper. They're very similar players.

11. Lanny

No, he admitted it. I've read his statement in the police report. He admitted to the interviewing detective that he raped her. It would have gone to trial but the victim declined to testify on account of her nearly 1 million dollars settlement.

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I have a real problem with these kinds of discussions in trying to separate shooting guards from point guards. Harden has played both at times in his career, as have many other guards. Dame and CJ switch back and forth during each game.

Harden is damned good, but he pisses me off too much with his concentration on drawing fouls to make my list of greatest guards of all time.

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  13. Lanny

The Big O was so long ago that I don't recall them distinguishing between a point guard and a shooting guard back then. If memory serves me, and it frequently fails me these days, it was just guard.

I even forgot Reggie Miller.

Harden is good at drawing the foul. He perfected the art of the under over from the three point line where he strikes the opposing player's arm while shooting. He's the reason why it's no longer a shooting foul unless the other team is in the penalty.

BBert likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

No he didn't. He most certainly did not admit to raping her. That is not true at all.

Bryant admitted to having sexual intercourse with her, but stated that the sex was consensual. When asked about bruises on the accuser's neck, Bryant admitted to "strangling" her during the encounter, stating that he held her "from the back" "around her neck", that strangling during sex was his "thing" and that he had a pattern of strangling a different sex partner (not his wife) during their recurring sexual encounters. When asked how hard he was holding onto her neck, Bryant stated, "My hands are strong. I don't know." Bryant stated that he assumed consent for sex because of the accuser's body language such as her kissing him, putting her hand on his penis and bending over, but that he did not explicitly ask for her consent during the encounter. Bryant later said that he believed his accuser was capable of saying no because during the encounter he asked her if he could "cum on her face", and she said no.

Law enforcement officials collected evidence from Bryant and he agreed to submit to a rape test kit and a voluntary lie detector test. On July 4, Sheriff Joe Hoy issued an arrest warrant for Bryant. Bryant flew from Los Angeles back to Eagle, Colorado to surrender to police. He was immediately released on $25,000 bond, and news of the arrest became public two days after that. On July 18, the Eagle County District Attorney's office filed a formal charge against Bryant for sexual assault. If convicted, Bryant faced probation to life in prison.

On July 18, after he was formally charged, Bryant held a news conference in which he adamantly denied having raped the woman. With his wife, Vanessa, at his side, he confessed, in tears, to having an adulterous sexual encounter with her, but insisted that everything that happened between the two had been consensual.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Really? I'm more concerned with his flopping. Concentrating on drawing fouls is what every player should do.

BlazerWookee likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Isn't Harden really a 3

17. PtldPlatypus

Similar, sure, but I'd say Oscar ran his team more than Harden has. Harden has basically always played with a Westbrook, or a Beverly or a Paul. Last year was really the only year he's been the PG. Up until that point, he's been a pretty traditional 2.

18. PtldPlatypus

Why would you say that?

dviss1 likes this.
  19. PtldPlatypus

That's fine; if we want to put Robertson in the same category, I don't really need to quibble. Obviously he would be right up there with Kobe and West, and I'd still say it's a debate between Wade/Clyde/Harden for the 5 spot.

Miller doesn't enter the discussion. Unless maybe you're talking about Cheryl, for whom I'd entertain the argument (although she was more a PF).

dviss1 likes this.
  20. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Until he has some sustained playoff success, Harden doesn't belong in the discussion, let alone on the list. Right now, his claim to fame is choking in big games. That makes regular season stats pretty meaningless.

dviss1 likes this.