Is Okur an All Star?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by dallasdude, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

If Yao is out for the All Star game, do you guys think Okur has a chance to play at the game? I have to say Okur has been great for the Jazz this season and is your MVP thus far. He may still need to beat out Camby, but he has a good chance to make it.

2. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I think Yao will be back by the All-Star break, and he's currently leading the West in voting......

3. dallasdude

If Yao doesn't make it, Brad Miller will probably start and either Camby or Okur could be reserves.

4. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Camby has been having a monster season, I think he might get the nod over Okur.

Okur has greatly improved though, if he continues to play hard who knows what could happen.

5. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Okur should make it before Miller, but he won't make it at all.

6. J_Ray

I look at it this way, if he's not an all-star, no one cares about him. I'd rather had a player under the radar than a player being doubled covered causing him problems. AK was no where in people's mind's when people thought of the west, but when he made the all-star teams, that's now the only player on Utah people now, well at least back when they had that crap team [​IMG]

7. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Marcus Camby is having a huge season and Brad Miller is also in contention to make the ASG, but with the way that Okur has been playing he could make the reserves. The return of Carlos Boozer could hurt Okur's numbers however, whenever that is.

8. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stockton:</div><div class="quote_post"> The return of Carlos Boozer could hurt Okur's numbers however, whenever that is.</div>

That should be sometime after the all-star break [​IMG] Boozer gots to completely heal that strained hammy, we're at 3 & 1/2 months and still counting.........

9. GiantMidget

GiantMidget JBB JustBBall Member

Camby is quite easily having a better season than Miller so far. I think its a toss up between Miller and Okur.

10. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Don't forget about the other All-Star caliber center in the Western Conference, Pau Gasol. He's having a career year, averaging about 20 ppg, 10 rpg, 4 apg, and 3 bpg. His Grizzlies also have the third best record in the entire Western Conference. He's flown under the radar for a long time beause the Grizzlies played him in a rotation that offered him limited playing time and limited touches and thus didn't translate his talent and impact into statistics, which is essentially what the All-Star game selections are based on. In fact, this should probably be his third or fourth All-Star campaign by now. As for Miller or Okur, like GiantMidget said, it's a toss-up. Okur will get you more points and rebounds, but Miller's 5.7 apg is very impressive. Utah's got the better record, but that's only by one game, and the Kings will probably have a very similar record by the break. If I was forced to choose one, I'd probably choose Okur, but I think it's a mood point because the top three centers in the Western Conference have been Marcus Camby, Pau Gasol, and Yao Ming, in that order.

11. J_Ray

I thought you said Pau Gasol was PF? You said he's not really that good at C......

12. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Marcus Camby is also injured right now so that raises Okur's chances.

EDIT: My post said the word "also" way to many times. [​IMG]

13. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J_Ray:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought you said Pau Gasol was PF? You said he's not really that good at C......</div>

That was then, and this is now. [​IMG]

He used to always be played at power forward, but this season the Grizzlies have moved him to center. He plays about 50-75% of his time there, with Wright or Battier at power forward. In the past, he's never been really that good playing center, but he really improved his game over the summer more than I ever thought possible, and he has probably made a name for himself so far as one of the top five centers in the league.

14. dallasdude

Pau may play Center for the Grizz, but I don't think he is listed as a Center in the All Star balloting..

15. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">That was then, and this is now. [​IMG]

He used to always be played at power forward, but this season the Grizzlies have moved him to center. He plays about 50-75% of his time there, with Wright or Battier at power forward. In the past, he's never been really that good playing center, but he really improved his game over the summer more than I ever thought possible, and he has probably made a name for himself so far as one of the top five centers in the league.</div>

Okur has been playing PF this year now that I think of it, we either have Ostertag or Collins in at center [​IMG]

16. dallasdude

Good point..The All Star positions are usually listed out way too early in the season, which doesn't make sense really. Okur would've played Center if Boozer was available at PF. Even though Okur plays PF, I think he's still going to be considered for the reserve center spot.

17. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dallasdude:</div><div class="quote_post">Pau may play Center for the Grizz, but I don't think he is listed as a Center in the All Star balloting..</div>

Does it even matter what they're listed as on the All-Star ballot? That's just for fan voting on the starter positions.

18. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

So how many people can be selected for all-star weekend? There seems to be so many super talented forwards out West who will get selected?