Is the 15 man roster really a good thing?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by hasoos, Nov 14, 2008.

1. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot about players who are on 15 man rosters complaining about playing time. It wasn't that long ago that you had a 12 man roster and an IR spot. Whoever was on IR knew they were not going to play. The question I bring up is, is the 15 man roster causing more problems than it is solving? It seems to me there are a lot more unhappy players in the league now, and if you cut those spots, you could almost put together a couple more expansion teams.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Well the alternative for those unhappy players is not being in the league at all and not drawing a fat paycheck ... think about how much scratch Shavlik Randolph is making to be a practice squad player and cheerleader in games? If they don't like it go play in Europe, or go get a job working in an office.

3. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Yea but there is definitly a difference between the "Pinch me I'm in the NBA" player who is just happy to be there, and the guys who think they deserve playing time. I do see what you are saying, but the reality is, there are a lot of guys who just are not satisfied sitting on the bench, and sometimes, they stir the pot.

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

But them's the breaks I guess. It's somewhat of a generalization (Al Harrington, and Stephon Marbury not withstanding) but if they were good enough they'd be in the rotation. 12th-15th men are almost always borderline players, the Blazers are in something of a unique (or at least uncommon) position in that they have 11, maybe 12 players who are capable of being rotation guys, and were it not for injuries (Raef, Webster and Oden for awhile) there would be even more guys sitting on their butts picking splinters.

I do see your point though, KP has got to thin the roster and consolidate sooner rather than later or there is a risk of chemistry breaking down and we've already seen the cracks emerging with Sergio's unhappiness with his situation. But that still doesn't change the fact that even when this team is fully healthy, Ike Diogu, Shavlik Randolph, and Raef should probably all feel lucky to be on NBA rosters at this point.

5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    You could actually have 3 on the IR if I recall correctly. However, the list was a sham.
    Teams put players on the list who weren't seriously injured. There was no real way
    to enforce it either since most players are, to some extend, injured.

Ask James Edwards about his "gastritis" (sp?) - he was pissed about being put
    on the IR with this made-up injury.

So, players didn't really like it then either. Now, teams don't have to pretend, and the
    league doesn't have to pretend it enforces the unenforceable. Good policy (finally)
    all around.

6. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I'm in the other boat I would like to see them add one more spot so we have enough for practice but could send a player down for some playing time. Someone like Bayless could use a week of playing time in D-League just to get some live game action.

7. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Yea, but you have to admit, the gastritis injury has given us a good laugh for over a decade now. That is worth something, in itself.

8. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Myself, I don't like the 15-man roster. As hasoos states, too much complaining which can hurt morale. On the other hand, teams aren't forced to carry 15 players.