Is there any point in trading Jose?

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Chutney, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The consensus seems to be that Jose is our most tradeable piece, and with Colangelo talking about how he still intends to work the phones before the trade deadline, there have been a lot of rumours centering around him.

I'm not sure I see the point. At least for right now. Calderon isn't worth his contract and I don't think he's very effective as a starter, but the Raptors have managed to replicate '06 and capture "lightning in a bottle" with the Jack-Calderon pairing. While we could get something decent for Jose (to possibly solidify our wing spot), I don't think it would help our team as much as the loss of Jose off the bench would hurt it. Not only would we be depending on Marcus Banks for the rest of the year, but I guarantee players like Amir, Weems, and Wright would regress without his playmaking. This team can't afford to lose their strong bench right now.

Down the road I wouldn't be averse to it. The way Ford-Calderon ended has left me jaded about the possibilities of a "48 minutes of playmaking" scenario to last more than a season or two. If it came down to choosing between the two I'd take Jack.

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

The two point guard approach is kind of bizarre, I'm not sure why our franchise is so hung up on it... Banks has shown the ability to play well even in inconsistent minutes... I don't think our team is much different with Jack or Calderon running the point so an opportunity to trade one of them might come up that we'd have to consider... I mean, Hedo is best as a point-forward so why we have him and two point guards on simultaneously makes little sense, we seem to have too many cooks in the kitchen... not sure what Calderon might yield, though.

3. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Speeds summed it up pretty well. I wonder what Colangelo thinks we need though. Another wing player and maybe another serviceable big probably. Haywood is available, he would be a good centre coming off the bench.

4. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

welcome back chutney!!! u fuckin bandwagon jumper!!!

trading jose is a move out of necessity in a league with a hard cap. ideally i would like to move banks but i dont see us getting back anything worthwhile. right now we have approx 19 million allocated to our point guards and that doesnt make sense, particularly when none of our point guards are exceptional. personally i think we should get back a dynamic wing because thats the part of our club where we clearly are lacking. although, for that to happen- u need to package jose along with a derozan or weems.

5. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

"Dynamic wing" is a term you used post-game, too. I'm not sure I get who you are referring to. Obviously we aren't getting Igoudala or Wade with a Calderon/DeRozan package. I guess you could mean Luol Deng, Gerald Wallace, or Josh Howard, but those three players are from teams fighting for playoff position. So who?

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Thanks deception. I've finally settled my post-undergrad future, which has significantly freed up my time.

How committed are you guys to this season? I think it's pretty clear that we have to continue to play at our current level and really challenge our 1st round opponent (if not advance) to convince Bosh to stay. I think trading Jose to either shore up another position or unload his cap hit significantly lowers our chance to do something that already might be beyond our reach. In years past I wouldn't have minded making that sacrifice, but the longer this season has gone on the more desperately I want the Raptors keep Bosh.

Like I said before, I don't feel all that committed to keeping Jose. But if he can help us convince Bosh to stay, I'm all for keeping him (for now). It's not like his value would fluctuate too much over 5-6 months.

7. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    I'm very committed right now. I also don't see a scenario for Bosh leaving at this point and there so many positives for this team in the future:
    - Andrea is only going to get better and those two seem to be on the same page and working very well together
    - DeRozan has been good for a rookie and possess a lot of attributes this team needs and has not come close to his ceiling
    - His college best friend is on this team for the next 3.5 years
    - The GM is committed to winning and now has the backing of MLSE to go over the luxury tax
    - We traded a 3rd sting PG and a guy who probably didn't want to be here for two players that have had great success and are both still young (Amir and Sonny) though Amir is a FA this year
    And
    - Let's face it, Triano is developing as a good NBA coach, a guy who has been with Chris his whole time in the league

There is a lot of optimism for this team, but this year, we will have to find a way to jump to 3rd to really have a chance to advance unless Boston falls apart even more and we get them in the 1st round, injured and old.

8. BasX

BasX I Win

Also, if we are going to trade anyone, it'd be Marco BUT i still think he can go off a win us a good amount of games, he's just in a slump. It really does suck Hedo makes $50M.

9. Kaz

Kaz Member

1) Your still here, I thought u left since you dont do the game day stuff, so Its nice to hear from you boss
    2) I would disagree If raps can get a expiring contracts in return heres my thinking:
    say we get a guy like Salmons, his a instead offense off the bench and play solid defense, he has a expiring contract which will help further with resigning of bosh and helping raps sign another star so that raps next season can continue with this success. Hedo needs some rest so a guy like salmons for Jose would really help rest hedo for playoffs and give raps offense in the playoffs so they can compete with a team like boston
    3) [video=youtube;6jrc6H4yOn4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrc6H4yOn4[/video]

10. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

The Hedo situation really F's us up in any trade scenarios. We already have so much money and so many minutes invested in Turk. How much of an impact can an additional SF be?

11. Kaz

Kaz Member

When you have guys like Wright/Bellinelli/Weems who arent consistent I think it would be great help to package a 3 team deal so that you can get rid of Jose and Belli for Salmons and maybe a pick or cash or something you know? a Consistent off the bench player to counter a guy like Crawford would be real nice IMO
    You can not say Atlanta is better then raptors if raptors do sign Salmons!

12. BasX

BasX I Win

Two things
    1 - Yes Salmons is more consistent than the 3 others BUT he's not consistent, he is still all over the place
    2 - Last time I checked, Salmons rejected a chance to play for us. I don't want Zo V.2

13. Kaz

Kaz Member

His been inconsistent this season because he doesnt have the same role that he had last season and Chicago is a mess!
    With this record and the positive signs coming out of T.O right now Im pretty sure he'll change his mind

14. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Consistent scoring off the bench would be nice. Beli is so erratic, it's frustrating at times. You think the Warriors would trade Raja Bell? he's injured now but when he comes back he could be a solid piece.

15. Kaz

Kaz Member

nope raja's nba career was ended when he was traded to bobcats and now his just a expiring contract

16. deception

clearly wade is not coming to toronto. although, iggy is a realistic option in my opinion. i like gerald wallace but he wouldnt fit triano's system.

from phillys perspective- u have a decent pg who's locked in for the next four years at a reasonable number. and u get derozan's- who's a lottery pick and with his bird rights u could have him for the next 6 years or so. thats two rotation players for a player who cant be a number one guy on a good team but still keeps u competitive because he's still a borderline all star and thats limbo in the nba.

17. Kaz

Kaz Member

how would a line upp with Iggy work? Jack iggy hedo bosh bargnani? jack iggy and hedo all need the ball to be effective (look at iggy's number with iverson and w/o iverson) he clearly needs a ball in his hand and you cant have that just not realistic! In order for raps to survive a 7 game series with boston, atlanta or who ever they need a concistent bench play. Boston almost lost to Bulls last season why? because Bulls had a bench that boston didnt!

I understand iggy shouldev always been a Raptor but it just wouldnt work out!

On related note Boston is looking for a major deal Im reading Jamison and Butler might become a celtic for Ray allen and few expiring contracts

18. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Jamison and Butler? I don't believe that, one or the other is more believable.

19. deception

solid points, im mildly impressed. although, i think iggy can adjust his game because he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy too stubborn in his ways, i could be wrong but allen and KG did it when they were much bigger stars- so why cant iggy do the same? and your comment about iggy dominating the ball is not entirely correct- lou williams dominates the ball when he's on the court and they play through brand a lot as well.