is this how it's going to be after every loss?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by rocketeer, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

multiple scapegoat threads.

multiple threads calling for new starters.

multiple threads licking sergio's balls.

multiple threads asking for a new coach.

will this follow every loss or is it just so many because it was such an anticipated game?

2. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I think it was because it was so anticipated with Oden missing all of last year and the hype buildup. I'm sure there will be bitching about loses but not like this unless we stink up all our loses like we did last night.

3. AgentDrazenPetrovic

AgentDrazenPetrovic Anyone But the Lakers

Uhh...well, it was an anticipated game for the last year and a half against the team we hate the most where our future franchise center got injured and was held scoreless on national TV in his first game ever.

so if every loss is like that, then yes. Its going to be like this after every loss.

4. timmay

timmay Member

It was only one game... but it was a really big game, with a lot of pent-up anticipation going into it.

Combine that with how poorly the whole team played, then add in an Oden injury, and it's a bit of a perfect storm.

It's not always this bad after losses. There's always going to be people who overreact, but there's a strong undercurrent of folks here who get that it's one game. They will still voice their frustrations, but have perspective in the process.

Don't overreact to the crazy posts in the same way that they're overreacting to the game yesterday.

5. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Naw. This loss was really different, and I think the main thing was Oden gettin' injured... I think it would be different if we kept everyone healthy and we lost by 20 on the road to a damn nice team...

Its all about Greg...

Anyway, we only got outscored by 5 in the second half. I thought that was pretty good. I know they played a lot of their backups though and Kobe only played the 3rd and a litle of the 4th.

6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Short answer: "Yes."

Long answer: Expectations have been building for over a year waiting for Oden's return and when the wheels started coming off the buggy last night, I suppose it's natural to get down and start looking for someone or something to blame.

I thought it before and I still do that getting into the post season for this team is going to be a dog fight ... I still think they have a pretty good chance to get to 46 or 47 wins (If Greg isn't out for too long) and if he's out for longer I think we'll still be competitive and probably finish somewhere around where we did last season. Whatever happens this is still a team worth rooting for. I hope people don't forget that.

7. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

My prediction was 48... I hope i'm close!

8. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Without all of that, what is there to talk about all season. All frickin season long, some fans will bash our players and I will defend them. It will happen ALL SEASON LONG like a broken record.

9. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Yeah, me too, and if the original poster didn't notice, my "Outlaw the Scapegoat Thread" was created so those ruining every thread with anti-Outlaw posts could have one place to vent their unwarranted, unreasoned, and unhinged criticisms.

Hell, I defended Jack all of last season because I always stated that he could get to the rim consistently (SOMETHING NO ONE DID LAST NIGHT), and I was clobbered on BBF for doing so.

10. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Absolutely. We're Blazer fans.

11. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Can't take the heat?

Get outa the kitchen!

12. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Look, this was kind of a special case.

I don't think anyone will deny the following:

1) Our team played like absolute @$$ on the most anticipated game in a while on national TV against our rivals
    2) "Starter-gate" (jk, I hate when -gate is added to everything) happened for seemingly no reason, other than "Nic's nerves"?? They didn't think 2 weeks ago there might be pressure Opening Night?
    3) Our team (individually, and as a whole) showed little improvement from the end of last year.

Each of these is frustrating. Each of them is something that is "wrong" with our team. Sure, if we would have played a "normal" game and lost to the WC Champs, disappointment would happen. But the vitriol comes when it's pooh-poohed as "just a game", and if you see systematic deficiencies in our squad that weren't corrected over the summer or in preseason, and others start name-calling and degeneration into a haterfest instead of discussion about our team.

13. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Nah. If the team busts their butt and loses, it won't be as bad. The real problem is that the team was flat for what the fans considered a big game.

14. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    Somebody needs to get angry during the game. Somebody needs to take it upon themselves to motivate everybody. If it isn't going to be a player or a coach, then it's going to be us. We didn't see any of that from our players last night (some guys played decently, but didn't really take up the mantle), and I think Nate was trying to be more patient than noisy. So naturally, we're going to behave this way until we see it. I'm going to wait until San Antonio and see if they adjust mentally before I start laying into them.

15. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Nate was clearly intimidated by Jack Nicholson's presence.

16. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    Jack Nicholson: "You can't handle the Lakers!"

Ugh, I just wrote that...