Is Trump spending $0 on ads because he knows he won't get the nomination?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BlazerCaravan, Jun 28, 2016.

1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...m-battleground-ads-june-trump-spent-0-n600611

The link doesn't contain any speculation like my title, but it got me thinking: is Donald acting the way he is because he knows he won't make it past the convention? Part of the theory is that that he wants out so he can get back to his business exploits, and wants to do that before or at the convention, when he can blame the GOP for ousting him unfairly (saving his pride). Certainly, a little self-serving self-sabotage (such as spending no money on your ad campaign) would help things along.

What do you think?

2. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I personally think it's because his every tweet is considered front page news, his speeches are carried live even when there is no new information, media decried his Scotland infomercial for his golf course but it was replayed over and over. I've seen estimates of anywhere from $55 million to nearly a billion in free advertising he's gotten simply by saturation TV coverage. So why pay for what you can get free?

Not to mention his campaign treasury is pretty low according to FEC filing.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  3. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Personally, I think he wants to win the election, but I don't think he wants to do the job of President. If he wins, hopefully he puts a good team around him, because I just don't think he has the desire to do the job. I mean you don't even see him doing many in person interviews with the media anymore. I have a source (seriously I do) that he prefers to do interviews by phone in his bedroom while in his underwear. So, have that image next time you seem him interviewed by phone.

4. Spud147

Spud147 Mercy Mercy

I think his campaign started out as a joke even to him and it took off like it had a motor. I don't think he ever actually wanted the job and its just as unexpected to him as it is to us. There is no other way for him to get out, he can't quit. This is the only way I can see for him to save face. He has to find a way to place blame elsewhere because of his gigantic ego.

Trump is like Brexit to me... people are just voting against the status quo without thinking about how much worse it could get if they don't do the research.

5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I think he's running a very different kind and f campaign. It's a big part of his appeal to be contrary to popular belief.

He's getting all the free airtime he wants. His social media use is successful so far.

Why change what is working?

Contrary to what's been done the past 16 years? No more drone bombing of civilian population of our allies, foreign intervention, running up the debt. But also opposite of embracing Islam, crackdown on undocumented immigrants, and political correctness in general.

6. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Wow - just learned his campaign sent fund appeals to political parties in Scotland and Iceland. Direct violation of US law.

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

It isn't working. What worked for Republicans isn't working for the rest of us. If you believe the polls.

barfo

8. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Now that sounds like a presidential candidate you could have a beer with!

blue32 likes this.
  9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Dollars per vote, he's killing it.

It's far from over.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, you need a foundation to take those dollars.

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

12. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Luis Montero had a 42.2 PER in the playoffs... normalized stats are fun, but eventually they have to translate in volume.

13. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

And a good thing too. This is top quality entertainment the USA is serving up.

barfo

14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Donald Trump’s campaign aides are lining up a slate of iconic sports figures to appear at the national convention in Cleveland next month—including former undisputed world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, legendary Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka, former Indiana University basketball coach Bobby Knight and NASCAR chief Brian France, people familiar with the planning told Bloomberg Politics.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...aign-lining-up-tyson-and-ditka-for-convention

15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

It would be fantastic if there were zero political ads... For any party. Get that bullshit off my tv, and bring back trunk monkey commercials instead!

16. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I'm voting for Trump, but those fucking idiots on facebook are seriously retarded, pretty much anyone comparing/contrasting Hitler to Trump is looney conversely anyone saying the Holocaust is a hoax, is even more mental.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    A veritable who's who of the 1980s. And a NASCAR guy.

Trump still knows how to wow 'em. Maybe he can score Don Mattingly too.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Recent polls seem to show Hiliar is pulling away. Perhaps. But here's the latest poll, taken after the recent terrorist attacks.

http://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2363

June 29, 2016 - Hate Winning, As Clinton-Trump Race Too Close To Call, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Neither Candidate Would Be Good President, Voters Say

Democrat Hillary Clinton has 42 percent to Republican Donald Trump's 40 percent - too close to call - as American voters say neither candidate would be a good president and that the campaign has increased hatred and prejudice in the nation, according to a Quinnipiac University National poll released today.

This compares to results of a June 1 national poll by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN- uh-pe-ack) University, showing Clinton edging Trump 45 - 41 percent.

When third party candidates are added to today's survey, Clinton gets 39 percent with Trump at 37 percent. Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson gets 8 percent and Green Party candidate Jill Stein gets 4 percent.

(In this poll, Trump is actually outperforming Romney with Hispanics)

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    You could combine the two. Put Trump and Clinton in the front seat of a big American-built SUV fighting for control of the wheel. Turn the trunk monkey loose and whichever one survives the beat down gets elected. My theory is the monkey would blow the thing up and Bernie would breeze through the wreckage in an electric Prius.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    How about just driving the SUV off a cliff and saving everyone some serious pain?