It's all in the stats...

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Look, I'm not here to add insult to injury. I've been following the Ducks AND Beavs since the 80's. Checking my posts, you'll find I'm not always sunshine towards my Ducks. Heck, Kelly is 0-4 vs. OOC top 20 teams. That sucks. It needs to change.

That said....

BCS local teams had 49 consecutive wins against Football Bowl Subdivision foes dating back all the way to 1996, when.....you guessed it OSU opened that season by losing to Montana. Pettibone was subsequently fired which led to the hire of Riley. Riley went 0-8 and 2-6 in conference, then bolted to the NFL where he took the Chargers to a record of 14-34.

Oregon St's loss to Sac St. was and should continue to be a BIG DEAL.

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    :lol: Who is saying it isn't a big deal?

3. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I'd agree that Sac State is a big deal, but it's not isolated. The top-tier FCS teams are more than capable of hanging with a middle-to-below-average FBS teams...Appalachian State over a (over-)ranked Michigan team, Richmond over Duke, EWU hanging with UW this weekend, etc. I watched Joe Flacco's Delaware team beat Navy at Annapolis his senior year.

Doesn't happen every day, but I don't know that just losing to and FCS team is historic. Sac State, though... :)

4. Targus

Targus Suspended

That Michigan loss really marked the beginning of a downward slide for the program. Ap St was coming off a great year and was a legit program. Sat you had a 5-6 loss (prior season) Sac team taking down a BSC/Pac team at their home. Dude, I would have loved to see Delaware vs Navy!

I'd like to see the Beavs pull it together and finish a respectable season, but I just don't see it happening.

5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    They were 6-5 last year and were ranked #19 in the FCS Poll so it's not like they were total schleps. Horrible loss and bad for the program, but Sac State isn't a bad FCS school.

6. Targus

Targus Suspended

Agreed, not bad at all. They played 2010 well and if I recall, some of the games they lost were very close. My concern is how one dimensional the Sac St offense was and the difficulty it gave the Beav D. Sat is going to be rough day and if OSU can just score a few times and hold Wis to a few three and outs, it will be a positive and something to build on.

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The problem with our D against Sac St was pass interference calls. It was ridiculous. We stuffed their run game, but were out of position on several key pass plays.

8. Targus

Targus Suspended

Held 'em under 100 rushing yards, yah? Keep in mind they didn't have a RB who avg more than the low 90's last season - and that's against those sub-defenses. I'm seriously worried about Sat, man. I think Wis could rush for over 300 yards.