"It's not easy to replace Kahn"

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CelticKing, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

"It's not easy to replace Kahn"

[​IMG]
    Lucio transferred from Bayer Leverkusen to FC Bayernwechselte in the summer of 2004

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>His opponents in the Bundesliga know a completely different side of Kahn. On the pitch, Lucio let's his presence be known, directing, commanding and never shying away from a one-on-one. But for those who have met the leader of FC Bayern's defence off the pitch can hardly believe how gentle, reserved and almost shy the 2002 Brazilian world champion is.

In the new media centre on Säbener Straße in Munich, he answered journalists' questions and had to turn to the services of an interpretor more than once. "I did a German course while on holiday in Brazil", joked the 30 year-old defender.

In an interview, he speaks about his goals, a possible end to his career in Munich and the departure of captain and icon Oliver Kahn. "Like Oliver, Michael Rensing will find his way", he assured bundesliga.de

Question: Are you disappointed that you have to forego participating in the Olympics in Peking?

Lucio: No, I'm not disappointed. Last season, I expressed my wish to join to accompany the Brazilian team to the Olympics, but when FC Bayern said "no", I didn't have any problem with it. I completely and totally accept this decision.

Question: Has coach Jürgen Klinsmann already spoken to you about the captain's armband?

Lucio: No, not yet. But being captain isn't such an important topic for me that I have to talk about it. I already said last season that the armband is not important to me. It's much more important that I win the championship with FC Bayern and perform to the best of my abilities.

Question: Last season, you were hardly ever allowed to cross into the opponents side of the pitch and play offensively. Will that change under Klinsmann?

Lucio: No. I know that I'm not a striker or midfielder and that I have to concentrate on defence. Like I did last season, when we set a record by only giving up 21 goals. If it helps the team, I stay in the back. But if I have a chance in a match and the coach allows it, I would be glad to move up the pitch.

Question: How much do things change for you as a centre-back knowing that Oliver Kahn is no longer standing between the posts?

Lucio: Not that much. Maybe I'll have more chances to defend against the ball (laughs). Of course, it's not easy to replace Oliver Kahn. But Michael Rensing is also a good goalie. We have to talk a lot and build trust. The pressure is obviously very high for him, but that's the case with every position at FC Bayern. Like Oliver, I think he'll find his way.

Question: Your contract with FC Bayern still has two years left. Can you foresee ending your career here?

Lucio: There's already a lot of speculation about that. You never know what will happen. But why not? My family really feels at home and they are amazingly happy to be here. FC Bayern is a great club, so it's definitely possible I will remain here.</div>

2. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

Can't see Bayern conceding less goals now the great kahn has gone.

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (man_u_barmy_army @ Jul 23 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can't see Bayern conceding less goals now the great kahn has gone.</div>

We'll find out but I think they'll still be just as strong.

4. DDRickyDD

DDRickyDD SportsTwo Member.

Student
    Whoose Bayerns first choice keeper now?

5. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 23 2008, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (man_u_barmy_army @ Jul 23 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can't see Bayern conceding less goals now the great kahn has gone.</div>

We'll find out but I think they'll still be just as strong.
    </div>

They will lose experinence, and I think that is what they lacked last season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DDRickyDD @ Jul 31 2008, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Whoose Bayerns first choice keeper now?</div>

1 Michael Rensing or 22 Hans Jörg Butt

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Re: "It's not easy to replace Kahn"

Rensing is the better choice. He's only 23 and was tipped by Kahn himself to be his replacement.