Ivan Chiriaev

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ed!, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Ivan Chiriaev
    SG/SF
    7'1
    235 lbs.
    A month ago, this guy was predicted mid to late first round. Now, this guy's stock is goin up. heres a profile on him.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/ivanchiriaev.asp

By NBAdraft.net's standards, he is 6th overall. Im not sure if they know much about foriegn players, but a 7'1 swingman with a soft touch could be dangerous

Heres an article about him, too. http://nbadraft.net/chiriaevstory.asp

2. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I've noticed his stock rise since after the latest draft, this guy looks very interesting. He's from Russia and has a few similarities to Andrei Kirilenko. But been 7 foot 1 and born in 84 or 85 (depends what you read) could mean he gets even taller. But if he was to put on muscle he could be a Center with skills. Watch out for this guy, anything could happen.

3. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

I no someone who played against this kid and he only scored 8 points against his team. He said he looks more like 200 pounds. His team lost to. A 7'1 sg would be retarded.

4. How_High78

How_High78 JBB JustBBall Member

I know that this is an old thread but I'm interested to know if any of our regular posters in the Toronto area have gone to see this guy play. I mean he's just in Oakville!

5. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

Ask thefranchise3. He lives in Oakville.

6. jbbFranchise

jbbFranchise JBB JustBBall Member

^I don't live in Oakville, I'm about 10 mins away, but I hear this kid is amazing. They say he can play ever position and hes dominating right now. I know people that know him, they were at a photo shoot for the Toronto/GTA all star team.

Theres a player on that team that goes to my school, hes got letters from div. 1 colleges asking him to play for them.

I haven't seen Ivan actually play, but I bet I'll get a chance this year, If I do see him I'll update and tell you how good he is (though i already know hes great).

7. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

I live in Oakville and have seen him play once so far this year but will probably see him play a lot more as the season gets started. They played Holy Trinity at the game I went too, and HT is pretty bad. That being said St. Thomas Aquinas, the team Ivan plays for is pretty bad too. It ended up being an easy win for STA.

Ivan has been hyped up way too much in this area and unreal expectations have been placed on him, but when you see him play you can tell he is full of potential. His dribbling skills are exceptional for a 7 footer and he can shoot really well, he has an especially good pull up jumper, and can also shoot the three. He was 1/4 from 3 point land in the game I saw but you can tell he is a shooter. He isn't really much of a post player though. He scored the only time he got the ball in the post though, and he doesnt rebound offensively at all which is a shame because he could dominate the boards. He has really good court awareness too and made a few great passes, it also helps when you can see over everyone too.

He is by no means ready for the NBA, and I think he would get dominated in a college game as well, he isnt a stick or anything but he is far from being as physically developed as most college players. His draft position is just on potential alone and the past couple of weeks his position has been dropping because of these mediocre games he has against weak high school competition.

This is just a basic summary of his skills and I could go into a lot more depth on a number of things but if anyone is interested in hearing more hit me up on MSN.

8. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

funny. me and my friend were talking about this.

You went to HT Duke? shoulda hit me up. I would stayed to met u.

I haven't seen him play in person. But all the basketball players(not real basketball heads..just players) really hype him up. ALOT. he's 13th on NBA draft.net right now.
    i think he should go to college. Scouts were @ HT apparently.

BTW. Duke. Did u see the Senior team Have u seen...meschino(typical oakville), jake(Big long hair) and badarov(5'6 PG)(i think they were on the senior team) play?

9. go_duke21

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting nkwu:</div><div class="quote_post">You went to HT Duke? shoulda hit me up. I would stayed to met u. </div>
    The game was unfortunately at the crappy STA gym, so I wasn't at HT, though I would like to see there gym. BTW I'm a Loyola (Oakville) grad, just so there isn't any confusion.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I haven't seen him play in person. But all the basketball players(not real basketball heads..just players) really hype him up. ALOT. he's 13th on NBA draft.net right now</div>
    Thats very true. Chris Van Dyzil (sp?) is his sorta manager, well not really a manager but this guy used to play at STA so he has some ties to the school and stuff, so he does a lot of hype for Ivan, like he contacts all the sites that have done articles on him and ish like that. The guys rep isn't the best and he also screwed over Carl English by influencing him to go the the draft early, thats another STA connection.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">BTW. Duke. Did u see the Senior team Have u seen...meschino(typical oakville), jake(Big long hair) and badarov(5'6 PG)(i think they were on the senior team) play?</div>
    Yea, I've seen the senior team play, I don't know who any of the guys are though. They all looked pretty bad to me, and were way too scared of Ivan, they were just chucking up outside shots.

10. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

oh ok...yeh you told me you graduated from loyola..so there is no confusion..

11. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

There was an article about Ivan in todays paper i Got. His school even got some free stuff from nike...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1070061305695

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Toronto Star:</div><div class="quote_post">

...."He's a top-five pick," says one scout.

"He could be good," says another, "but he's got a long way to go."

Chiriaev appears to be receiving feedback that's more one-sided.

"That's what NBA scouts tell me, `You'll be a top-five pick, for sure,'" he says. "That's not my words. That's the scouts' ... They say I'm like Kevin Garnett (an NBA all-star). He's a pretty universal player, he's athletic. That's not my words, that's the scouts' words. They're saying I'm Dirk Nowitzki (another NBA all-star), but more athletic and with a better handle."

If you watched Chiriaev in a 19-point effort in Waterloo on Thursday night, in a pre-season tournament game against Brantford's Assumption College high school, you might have come away unimpressed with Chiriaev's handle ? in the parlance, his dribbling ability ? and most other facets of his game.

His first possession saw him double-teamed by mosquito-like six-footers. And though he could have easily paused and thrown over top of the coverage, he rushed a pass that flew out of bounds. He redeemed that turnover with a three-pointer from the right wing; he blocked a shot in short order. But then he lofted a brick from the left wing that missed the rim by a foot; then hoisted another from 26 feet that was perhaps meant to display his NBA-worthy shooting touch but ended up an airball.....</div>

12. go_duke21

Supposedly they are some ugly shoes, or thats what my "sources" at the school tell me. I'll have to go a game soon to check them out. At the game I went to Ivan was wearing some White/Red XVIII and Jordan Brand shorts instead of the team ones, the team ones probably don't fit him.

13. How_High78

How_High78 JBB JustBBall Member

Would anyone in the Oakville area be willing to do an interview with Ivan? I have no idea how accessible he is but he's playing in Oakville so I assume you could just call him school or even show-up and make an appointment with him after practice. It would be a great thing for JBB

14. go_duke21

There have already been a gazillion interviews done with him by other websites and newspapers. Things aren't looking too good for him right now though. His team got killed on the weekend by a score of something like 54-29. And he didn't show up for one of the games. There was a big story about him in the Toronto Star and he said some questionable things about his teammates in it. So there is some trouble brewing and right now and he is talking about not playing anymore this season.

As far as doing an interview? I'm not interested in doing one with him, there has already been too much hype for him and you would probably have to go through his "manager" to get one anyways. Calling the school might be a practical way for a major newspaper to do it but when you say, "I'm from Justbball.com" they will probably be like WTF?!?! and hangup the phone. The poor kid should just be left alone anyways, I feel sorry for him. He's getting screwed around.

15. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

AS for the shoes...in the paper he was dunking wit a pair of Air Jordan 18.5s on.

16. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

He's being compared to KG and also to Dirk but more athletic and a better handle. Damn!

17. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

shawn bradley was supposed to be an elite player... look at him now

18. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Chiasev is a true 7 footer with amazing handles and athletic ability for his size. He can shoot but doesn't have tons of range. He also needs to gain a LOT of weight. At least 40 pounds.

It is so early, that it is almost impossible to project were he will go. It will heavily depend on which teams have which picks but mostly he is a workout player.

Since so few people have seen him play and most who have seen him have only watched him play high-schoolers in the Ontario area (hardly a talent hot bed for basketball) where he is drafted depends mostly on how well he works out. Which means his stock could shoot up into the top 5, or plummet to the bottom of the first/early second round.

19. go_duke21

^^Have you seen him play???

20. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

I think I might have met this guy. Not sure, cause I cant tell the difference between the foreign guys.