"I've been feeling ready for the NBA since junior high" -Jefferson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ice, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Ice

Ice JBB Member

"I've been feeling ready for the NBA since junior high" -Jefferson

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">When did you reach the point that you felt you'd be ready for the NBA out of high school?

AJ: To be honest I've been feeling this way since junior high. I always felt like I could be somebody who had a chance to get drafted out of high school. Kobe did it, Garnett did it. I felt I was going to be one of the ones to do it to. Especially with the (high school) guys coming out of Mississippi such as Jonathan Bender and Travis Outlaw, I felt like I could do it.</div>
    Full Interview

Rather bold statement there by Al.

Going by his HS stats alone, I believe he can successfully make the leap from high school ball to the NBA. (42.6 points, 18 rebounds and seven blocks) His potenial seems endless, and he's the type of player teams should risk drafting.

2. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Well hey, the kid has confidence, thats good. But I couldn't agree with you more he can certainly make himself known.

3. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

I've said this several times on this board, don't put any merit into high school stats, for obvious reasons.

Moving on...I think this just shows the attitude of modern day players more than anything. It shows how players are looking forward to the NBA at younger ages every year. Another reason why Stern wants the age limit.

4. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

This kid was a moster in high school and could be like Amare Stoudemire, except a little bit slower. And he has the determination to work hard,one example to prove that is after he realized he was becoming slow and sticking in the paint as a junior he went on vigorous weight training sessions and lost nerely 30 lbs in the summer after his junior year.

5. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

I didn't know those were his stats that is amazing 42.6points,18boards,7blocks

6. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

even for a high school, those are pretty impressive stats.... it spells domination....

7. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

And now he's a Celtic. [​IMG]

8. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

he would get eaten alive in juniour high and Ihe definitly wont be as dominant in the l and he is now

9. hagrid

They said the same of guys like Garnett and Stoudemire.

10. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

hes not garnettdemire

11. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

i saw tape of him and first thing i thought was zach randolph.

12. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

he cant be any worse than kendrick perkins

13. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Does anyone realize that he played 3A division basketball? That's a small high school...with other small teams in their seasons. Now...if he was out of Brooklyn putting those numbers up, I would be the first to say he needs to be the #1 pick, but he's playing smaller teams. He shyed away from Ebi when he was playing him...but then when Ebi went to the bench, Jefferson went on a scoring frenzy. I think he'll be a decent player, but he's a little overhyped.

14. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Does anyone realize that he played 3A division basketball? That's a small high school... </div>

LOL, That's the debate point you're going to use against him? [​IMG]

An early entry candidate for the 2004 NBA Draft. Finalist for the 2004 Naismith Award. Named to the 2004 McDonald?s All-America Team. Named First Team All-America by PARADE and USA Today. Named to 2004 USA Men?s Junior National Select Team. Originally committed to play for Arkansas. Rated the No. 4 high school senior by Rivals.com.
    High School Career Highlights: Named All-State, All-Conference and Conference MVP all four seasons of high school. Tied a state high school tournament record with 56 points in a Class 3A semifinal loss to Byhalia. Led his team to a 29-8 record and Class 3A State Championship as a junior.

<u>2004 Postseason All-Star Games:</u> In the Nike Hoop Summit against top international competition, scored 13 points and grabbed seven rebounds as the USA Select Team rolled to a 99-79 win over the World Select Team. Tallied 17 points and 10 rebounds in the Jordan Capital Classic. Had 16 points and 11 rebounds in 16 minutes at the McDonald?s High School American Game.

<u>Senior (2003-04):</u> Named Mr. Basketball in the state of Mississippi. Averaged 42.6 points and 18.0 rebounds. During the Class 3A playoffs, scored a career-high 66 points against Forest. Tallied 62 points, 21 rebounds and 11 blocks against Magee.

Junior (2002-03): Averaged 37.1 points, 18.0 rebounds and 5.0 blocks. Averaged 44.7 points in three state tournament games.

Sophomore (2001-02): Averaged 28.0 points, 13.0 rebounds and 4.0 blocks.

Freshman (2000-01): Averaged 25.0 points and 12.0 rebounds.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">hes not garnettdemire</div>

And you know this why?

15. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I agree this guy is going to make the successfull leap to the NBA if he was that damn good in high school averaging 18 rebounds 43 points and 7 blocks. I got a question is his name AL or AI I've been wondering that for a while now, he reminds me of a not so athletic version of Amare Stoudemire.

16. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">LOL, That's the debate point you're going to use against him? [​IMG]
    </div>

No...maybe either you misunderstood me, or I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be. What I meant to say was that he wasn't a high pick because he's out of a 3A high school. These scouts look at who else is on the team...which he was actually the only talent on his team...and then they figure in the small school, and his size for being a high school senior. Well, if I was a GM, I'd be skeptical. I said he'd be a decent player...but I do believe that he's just a little overhyped, but with the fans...not analysts. With stats like that, you'd think he'd be the next Wilt Chamberlain...but that's not likely. I never said he was bad...he'll be a good player, just maybe not All-Star material depending on what path his career takes (teams, teammates, etc.).

17. jbbReal Deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting L.Sooch:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree this guy is going to make the successfull leap to the NBA if he was that damn good in high school averaging 18 rebounds 43 points and 7 blocks. I got a question is his name AL or AI I've been wondering that for a while now, he reminds me of a not so athletic version of Amare Stoudemire.</div>

Al Jefferson...as in AL. [​IMG]

18. hagrid

Thanks for clarifying realdealbneal. [​IMG]

And yes, His first name is Al.