Iverson: Best Player in Franchise History?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by SunnyD, Jun 12, 2007.

1. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

Is Allen Iverson the best player in the Sixers franchise history?Awards:-2001 Regular Season MVP-Two Time All-Star Game MVP-Three Time All-NBA First Teamer-Three Time All-NBA Second Teamer-1997 Rookie of the Year-28.0 PPG Average (3rd All-Time)-Led NBA in Scoring 4 Times-Led NBA in Steals 3 TimesLed the 2001 76ers team to the NBA Finals. (Terrible supporting cast: 35 Year Old Dikembe Mutombo, Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, George Lynch, Tyronne Hill, Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed, Toni Kukoc)I think he is the best player in the history of the franchise. You can make a case with Julius Erving, Moses Malone, even Wilt Chamberlain, but AI is the answer (No Pun Intended).

2. noballer08

noballer08 BBW Elite Member

This is tough. I'm gonna go with the old school and say Dr. J and Chamberlain are ahead of him. because Iverson hasn't won anything with his team.

3. TheAnalyst

TheAnalyst BBW Elite Member

You know. I gotta say its gotta be him. No one represented the franchise better than he did. He respected the team and played with more heart than anybody. Would have been the Sixers all time leading scorer if he was given a few more years.

4. SunnyD

SunnyD Sexiest Poster Alive (Yessir)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noballer07 @ Jun 12 2007, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This is tough. I'm gonna go with the old school and say Dr. J and Chamberlain are ahead of him. because Iverson hasn't won anything with his team.</div>Well, he did go to the finals with a sh*tty team (Mutombo, McKie, Snow, Ratliff, Geiger, Lynch)

5. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

Obviously we're all going to be biased on this since none of us really were able to see Wilt, Erving and Moses play for the Sixers... but I really don't know.Wilt was amazing... Dr. J and Moses won a title and we all know about Barkley, but Iverson just brought something to this team, the franchise and the city that I don't think any of the other four guys brought.I'd probably say it's got to be either Iverson or Wilt, if even just for his ridiculous stats back in the day.

6. playaofthegame

playaofthegame AYO ADRIEN!

Are you just talking the best player in franchise history? Clearly Wilt. Arguably the best player in NBA history.I don't agree with this but Iverson is definitely a HOF player and I would put him at 1a to Wilt

7. redneck

redneck BBW Elite Member

Julius Erving is the best player in Sixers history, followed by Wilt Cahmberlain and Moses Malone. Iverson would probably be 4th, but don't discredit Dolph Schayes either.

8. coyn3burglar

coyn3burglar BBW Elite Member

I have no idea to be honest. Clearly Allen Iverson is my favorite 76ers player of all time, but to say that hes the best player in franchise history?, its really questionable. Wilt just dominated everyone back in his time, although I never have seen him play before. Allen Iverson just didn't dominate like Wilt did, but he brought so much heart and passion to the city when he played and brought the Sixers to the finals with a pretty crappy team. idk, I like Allen Iverson so much, but you can't ignore Wilt's domination and stats. You could put Charles Barkley and Dr J, Moses Malone too in the debate but for me it boils down to Wilt and Iverson. Two totally different eras. I'm not sure.

9. TigerTaylor

TigerTaylor BBW Elite Member

I'm not going to pick anyone because Iverson was the only one I've really seen play out of all the Sixers' greats. But, Iverson has made a case for himself. He led a sub-par team to the NBA Finals. That's not easy. People don't give him enough credit, but he's done a lot for the size he is. He's a very small player, and it's a lot easier to do all of the things he does when you're big. He plays with as much heart an emotion as any player I've seen play. He's a great scorer, good defender, and underrated passer. He's also earned many awards, the biggest being the 2001 MVP.

10. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett BBW Member

I think it would be DR.J cause he won a championship and thats is important

11. Bobby

Bobby BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ball in the baskett @ Jun 15 2007, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think it would be DR.J cause he won a championship and thats is important</div>so did wiltimo it goes like this1. Wilt2. AI3. Dr. J

12. Serge

Serge BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheAnalyst @ Jun 12 2007, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You know. I gotta say its gotta be him. No one represented the franchise better than he did. He respected the team and played with more heart than anybody. Would have been the Sixers all time leading scorer if he was given a few more years.</div>I agree no body represented the franchise like Iverson had.I would say:1. Wilt Chamberlain1A. Iverson(redneck) Dolph Schayes? LOL Not better then AI for sure.Erving not better then Wilt either.Ow and let's not get titles into this you need to have a team around you to win titles. Jordan did not even win him self he had guys around him.

13. Roaming

Roaming Back In Black! erm...in Colour!

Wait a minute, you guys will call Wilt and Jordan as the 2 best players of all time, but Iverson is better than Wilt? I dont think Iverson is better than Erving eithier:Julius Erving Individual Awards four Most Valuable Player Awards, three scoring titles4 NBA First teams 11 NBA All-Star Games one of 5 in basketball history to score 30,000Erving also shot better from the field Erving had about 4000 more field goals., while playing less minutes per game.If your looking individually, Wilt and Erving were better than Iverson, no question. The only thing that would give Iverson an edge was that he lead that team in the Finals, with nearly nothing. But Dr. J and Wilt dominated their eras, they were legendary in their times. Iverson also shot about 23 times a game as well, the ball was always in his hands.

14. MaRdYC26

MaRdYC26 BBW Graphics Team

allen iverson plays as hard as anyone ive ever seen - night in and night out.he also is only 5'11" and for someone under 6' he probably has the most heart of anyone.

15. Serge

Serge BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RaptorFan#1 @ Jun 21 2007, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wait a minute, you guys will call Wilt and Jordan as the 2 best players of all time, but Iverson is better than Wilt? I dont think Iverson is better than Erving eithier:Julius Erving Individual Awards four Most Valuable Player Awards, three scoring titles4 NBA First teams 11 NBA All-Star Games one of 5 in basketball history to score 30,000Erving also shot better from the field Erving had about 4000 more field goals., while playing less minutes per game.If your looking individually, Wilt and Erving were better than Iverson, no question. The only thing that would give Iverson an edge was that he lead that team in the Finals, with nearly nothing. But Dr. J and Wilt dominated their eras, they were legendary in their times. Iverson also shot about 23 times a game as well, the ball was always in his hands.</div>I agree about Wilt as I said, but not Erving. And AI led his team to finals by him self. And all super star shoot about 23-25 times a game. And also what you rather have freakin Green/Sammy/ect........shoot then AI. AI had to shoot as much as he did HE HAD NO BODY AROUND HIM. And again all super stars shoot that much.

16. primetime

primetime Get Your Popcorn ready again

As far as Numbers go it would have to be Wilt, but if we're talking titles and pure dominance in modern era then easily the best player in Sixers history is Moses Malone while Dr. J is probably the most well-known he doesn't stand up to Moses Malone although both of them together were a great duo in the late 70s-early 80s. This is a guy who stood toe to toe with Kareem Abdul Jabbar in his prime, AND won.

17. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

Saying AI represented the team like no one else is waaaaaaaay off.ask any longtime sixers fan, they'll pick Dr. J without thinking about it.the guy was an awesome player and pure class.he was always considered one of the classiest guys in the league.everyone respected the man and of course he was a great player.sure some dirt came out of the closet after he retired, but in his playing days he could do no wrong.as for who is better. Wilt has to be #1.AI and Dr J. are 2 and 2A IMO you can't go wrong with eitherthen Barkley and Moses.

18. Living_Legend33

Living_Legend33 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SunnyD @ Jun 12 2007, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is Allen Iverson the best player in the Sixers franchise history?Awards:-2001 Regular Season MVP-Two Time All-Star Game MVP-Three Time All-NBA First Teamer-Three Time All-NBA Second Teamer-1997 Rookie of the Year-28.0 PPG Average (3rd All-Time)-Led NBA in Scoring 4 Times-Led NBA in Steals 3 TimesLed the 2001 76ers team to the NBA Finals. (Terrible supporting cast: 35 Year Old Dikembe Mutombo, Eric Snow, Aaron McKie, George Lynch, Tyronne Hill, Theo Ratliff, Nazr Mohammed, Toni Kukoc)I think he is the best player in the history of the franchise. You can make a case with Julius Erving, Moses Malone, even Wilt Chamberlain, but AI is the answer (No Pun Intended).</div>You do realize that team wasn't terrible but was designed specifically with Iverson in mind? He dominated the ball to such a degree that he needed guys that had other things like play defense and rebound as their #1 priority instead of scoring. They could've used another outside shooter but it was a great cast for AI. Too bad they only had 1 year together at full health and faced that dominant LA team. Dr. J is #1 for the 76ers.

19. primetime

primetime Get Your Popcorn ready again

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Living_Legend33 @ Jun 21 2007, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You do realize that team wasn't terrible but was designed specifically with Iverson in mind? He dominated the ball to such a degree that he needed guys that had other things like play defense and rebound as their #1 priority instead of scoring. They could've used another outside shooter but it was a great cast for AI. Too bad they only had 1 year together at full health and faced that dominant LA team. Dr. J is #1 for the 76ers.</div>That team wasnt designed for anything. They were just very well coached and at that time a superb defensive team. Eric snow has always been a great defender but had much short-comings in his game other than that. Dikembe Mutombo was a stud defensively also but again weak offensively, and they were playing a team consisting of Shaq and Kobe so a lack of offense wouldnt cut it as seen by the 4-1 series. The reason the Sixers lost in 01' was their lack of forwards, if they could have gotten some decent pieces there im sure they might have been able to take down the mighty lakers.

20. Serge

Serge BBW Elite Member

The team that went to the finals was build with D + rebounding, but it was not suppost to really win AI took that team and carried it some how.