Jalen Ramsey drafted by Jaguars with No. 5 pick

Discussion in 'AFC South' started by truebluefan, Apr 29, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The consensus top defensive back in the 2016 NFL Draft is off to shore up the Jacksonville Jaguars secondary after they selected Florida State's Jalen Ramsey with the No. 5 overall selection.

Ramsey is a 6'1, 209-pound monster of a cornerback with a 41.5-inch vertical jump and 4.41 40-yard dash, but there are debates about his fit in the NFL. Like Patrick Peterson in the 2011 NFL Draft, there are temptations to take such a big, physical defensive back and put him in the middle of the secondary rather than half of the field.

"I'm a corner who can play safety," Ramsey told Bleacher Report's Matt Miller earlier in April. "I feel like I'm the prototypical new edition of cornerbacks that the league needs and is going to with bigger receivers. I'm the most physical defensive back and that's how I play at every level. I have good footwork and can play with the smaller receivers. I can play on the back end because of my physicality, but also because of my range and length."

Physicality is a defining trait for Ramsey, who is certainly bigger and stronger than the typical defensive back. Sometimes that size and strength was simply too much for collegiate receivers to deal with.

- See more at: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/28/11397418/jalen-ramsey-nfl-draft-2016-jaguars