James Declines Dunk Contest

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by jbbKing James, Jan 28, 2004.

1. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

LeBron won't risk ankle for dunk contest

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LeBron James says he won't compete in the Slam Dunk contest during the NBA's All-Star weekend next month because of the ankle injury that has sidelined him for three games.

The Cleveland rookie was picked Tuesday to play in the Rookie Challenge, an event that the league has moved from Saturday to Friday night in prime time.

</div>

Full Story.

Oh well people, looks like this contest will be ugly.

Please keep this topic to LeBron and not the contest as much as you can.

2. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

So he'll play in the Rookie Challenge, but not the Dunk Competition.. It'd seem to be the game would be more total pressure on his ankle because in dunking, it's only a few jumps and short sprints.

3. jbbKing James

To me it is just an excuse, the dunk contest has just got uncool to the stars.

Stern better up the $$$$ if he wants the stars back, but I doubt he wants to do that.

4. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Its an excuse alright. Maybe he just couldn't handle the pressure?[​IMG] jk

Oh well, he had little chance with J-Rich in the comp anyways.[​IMG]

5. jbbKing James

^^I have never dogged players for not taking part.

If the stars would take place in this event the rating would skyrocket.

In fact from the players perspective what do they get out of all these killer rating for the dunk contest? They do in fact need a much bigger piece of the pie.

J-Rich can be the flashier dunker, but that would be the only thing I would give him over James, we have already been through that.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

maybe he doesnt want to embarrass everyone...Its cool i respect his decisison, It would of been fun to see him, but he is looking out for his health.

7. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

He probably could participate in this, but it doesn't really bother me that he isn't going to. The last thing we need is him to twist his ankle or break a finger goofing off in the contest.

The contest needs rejuvenation. Throw out the 3 year rule, and put up insentives for the players to join. There are about 15-20 amazing dunkers that have no interest participating in this whatsover. Carter made it cool again for a while, but now its slinking back to the Cedric Ceballos, Rex Chapman, Brent Barry days...

8. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Q Rich3:</div><div class="quote_post">maybe he doesnt want to embarrass everyone...Its cool i respect his decisison, It would of been fun to see him, but he is looking out for his health.</div>lol...please.[​IMG]

KJ- These players are receiving millions of dollars as it is. Why do we have to give them a HUGE bonus for exciting the crowd and having fun. Lebron is making millions on and off the court. Thats rather ignorant of you to say "if they don't give him the money, I respect him for not doing it."

9. jbbKing James

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">lol...please.[​IMG]

KJ- These players are receiving millions of dollars as it is. Why do we have to give them a HUGE bonus for exciting the crowd and having fun. Lebron is making millions on and off the court. Thats rather ignorant of you to say "if they don't give him the money, I respect him for not doing it."</div>

It's all too common a theme Rude.

If David Aldridge suggests it, I back him up, simple as that.

10. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

It's too bad he's not in the contest...I was looking foward to seeing what he could do...I wasn't very impressed with his Highschool dunk contest. Maybe next year he'll change his mind...

11. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">It's all too common a theme Rude.

If David Aldridge suggests it, I back him up, simple as that.</div>I understand that but have a mind of your own.[​IMG]

I just get fed up with all of this selfishness and greed in the NBA. Its sickening.

12. jbbKing James

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I understand that but have a mind of your own.[​IMG]

I just get fed up with all of this selfishness and greed in the NBA. Its sickening.</div>

I won't argue that chief, but if these Carter's, T-Mac's,a nd KG's don't care, and Bron does compete, it could make him look desperate.

What fun is it to compete if the big names are not there?

(I am trying to look at this from Bron's shoes)

13. The King

The King JBB JustBBall Member

It's really dissapointing to see him not participate. He could of (imo) really stole the show this year and 3 or 4 seasons down the line people would still bring it up, kind of like Carter, McGrady, etc.

14. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

he is not a great dunker..I saw the high school thing..even if he wasnt interested ive seen almost all cavaliers game he is a..great On the game dunker..kinda like Amare.

15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

To me the reason why big name stars do not participate is simple. The big name stars want to be famous for the points they score, the rebounds they grab, and the passes they dish out. Not many players want to have the "dunker" lable on them like Jason Richardson, Desmond Mason, Vince Carter, and Gerald Wallace have. All of those players have terrific games outside of dunking, but they're most commonly associated with the slam dunk. I doubt that was why LeBron James didn't enter the dunk contest, but it could be the reason why Kobe Bryant and others never enter it. Bryant has had to live through the "dunker" lable before and probably doesn't want it back.

16. jbbKing James

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMac_OwNz:</div><div class="quote_post">he is not a great dunker..I saw the high school thing..even if he wasnt interested ive seen almost all cavaliers game he is an..great On the game dunker..kinda like Amare.</div>

LeBron's dunks were amazing because he was putting his head above the rim. I'll call that amazing every time I see anyone do that.

Wave hit the nail right on the head though, you don't want the dunk label and that is not what James is about. LeBron wants to be known as one of the best all around players this league has ever seen.

Maybe he is right about the ankle too, who knows. He was taken out of the last game early because he started too gimp a bit after grabbing a rebound in traffic.

If he is not 100%, I would not want to see him in the contest, same for J-Rich or anyone else.

17. The King

The King JBB JustBBall Member

If it is due to health concerns I can fully understand. No need to risk the future for a dunk contest despite how tremendous it would of made it with his partcipation.

18. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

LeBron James made a good decision not competing in the dunk contest not risking furthur injuries.

19. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

Good choice by the young fella. There's always next year. How stupid would that be to go out and to put on an exhibition and reinjure the ankle?

20. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

damn...I wanted to see him in the Dunk Contest..Atleast its not a dumb excuse.

....everybody watch....2 days before the dunkcontest hell announce hes in(and the L will let him)....bah...I wish..