Jazz Capology 101

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Shapecity, May 5, 2004.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jazz make study of 'Capology 101',

By Phil Miller
    The Salt Lake Tribune

The Jazz deposited $8.7 million in Greg Ostertag's bank account last season, making the nine-year veteran the team's highest-paid player. But probably few among the Delta Center faithful could name the the player who collected the second-biggest paycheck from the Jazz.

Anyone remember Glen Rice?

The former All-Star could be the poster child for the Jazz's way of doing business, post-Hall-of-Famers. Rice, who was guaranteed $7.3 million but never suited up for Utah and was out of the league by season's end, was acquired from Houston in October, a trade designed entirely to auction off the Jazz's abundant salary-cap space in exchange for draft picks. </div>

Full Article:
    http://www.sltrib.com/2004/Apr/04262004/sports/sports.asp

2. Stockton

Stockton JBB

The Jazz were in a similar posistion last year, but they just couldn't land the FA's. All the salary cap space in the world isn't very effective unless you can acquire someone. Free Agents just dont wont to come to Utah, but the younger players thrive there. If Utah are to use some of their money, they should go for a top free agent with a lot of potential. I know they have shown interest in Stromile Swift, and their roster is somewhat full already (unless they let FA's go) so I wouldn't be concerned if they throw more than he's worth at him to sign him.

3. kobebryant89

kobebryant89 JBB JustBBall Member

Well I think nobody wants to come to Utah and play is:

1. They saw how they treated Karl Malone
    2. No offense but there's not many black people in Utah and it's not known for its night life.

4. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

The above excuses shouldn't affect how people choose their team, but it does, which is pretty damn sad.

Plus no one wanted to come here before the Karl situation, so that argument should be thrown out.

5. DMiles4MVP

DMiles4MVP JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BallerAK47:</div><div class="quote_post">The above excuses shouldn't affect how people choose their team, but it does, which is pretty damn sad.

Plus no one wanted to come here before the Karl situation, so that argument should be thrown out.</div>

well the Utah Jazz are 90% white and the population is probably 98% white, which makes the black players not wanna go, to be honest.

Be a Blazers fan, they will bring in some big free agents unlike the Jazz.

Paul Allen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">well the Utah Jazz are 90% white and the population is probably 98% white, which makes the black players not wanna go, to be honest.

Paul Allen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]</div>

Have you seen the Blazers salary cap situation? They are in no position to be bringing in any big Free Agent this offseason. How can you be so sure the Jazz wont bring in any big FA's, you've seen what happened to Utah's roster this season, most had career years. AK47 went from a bench player to an all star. If players are really serious about improving their game, they'll go to Utah. Sloan will really help them improve with his style of coaching. Last season no one wanted to go their because they thought Utah would be battling for the worst record in the league. Now players seem them differently, and will at least consider Utah.

7. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">well the Utah Jazz are 90% white and the population is probably 98% white, which makes the black players not wanna go, to be honest.

Paul Allen
    </div>

I actually think that Portland is the whitest city in the NBA, I forgot where I read that at, but I believe thats true.

I think alot of free agents would really come to Utah if it wasn't for their stupid agents who are feeding them with sterotypes of Salt Lake and their fans. This is why I think that the Jazz are truly going to have to build through the draft, by making guys come there and see what a nice place it is. I also think the Jazz will be targeting alot of foreign players because they don't seem to be up for the nightlife like american players.

If I was a NBA player I would be thrilled to go to the Jazz, not because its my favorite team, but because they have a solid coach and system that you will know will work in the NBA, and that is something you don't see that much in the NBA now-a-days.

8. DMiles4MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">Have you seen the Blazers salary cap situation? They are in no position to be bringing in any big Free Agent this offseason. How can you be so sure the Jazz wont bring in any big FA's, you've seen what happened to Utah's roster this season, most had career years. AK47 went from a bench player to an all star. If players are really serious about improving their game, they'll go to Utah. Sloan will really help them improve with his style of coaching. Last season no one wanted to go their because they thought Utah would be battling for the worst record in the league. Now players seem them differently, and will at least consider Utah.</div>

trust me, the Blazers have WAY more valuable playersto trade than the Jazz. Besides AK, none of the players on the Jazz have much value, Arroyo probably some but the rest? ehhhhh no.

Andre Miller wouldnt even play for them, and he went to college there, lmao. Nobody wants to play for them, even though they have a Great coach.

9. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">well the Utah Jazz are 90% white and the population is probably 98% white, which makes the black players not wanna go, to be honest.

Paul Allen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]</div>I guess you speak for all black players in the NBA? That is one of the most ignorant things I have heard lately. Congratulations. Try to keep your stereotypical views off this site or...get off this site.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Andre Miller wouldnt even play for them, and he went to college there, lmao. Nobody wants to play for them, even though they have a Great coach.</div>What does Andre Miller going to Utah for college have anything to do with him signing there?

Its really funny how you give props to your Blazers team when they are 3x more loaded with talent than Utah is but managed to lose one more game then them. Try being open-minded about other teams.

10. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">trust me, the Blazers have WAY more valuable playersto trade than the Jazz. Besides AK, none of the players on the Jazz have much value, Arroyo probably some but the rest? ehhhhh no.

Andre Miller wouldnt even play for them, and he went to college there, lmao. Nobody wants to play for them, even though they have a Great coach.</div>

Before you were talking about the Blazers been in a better situation to bring in big FA's than the Jazz. Now your talking about getting them through trade [​IMG] . The players on the Blazers roster that would be trade bait, are horribly overpaid. The one player teams are really interested in that plays for Portland is Zach Randolph. Otherwise, they taking on big contracts.

11. DMiles4MVP

Utah won 1 more game, because of plenty of reasons

the main reason, JERRY SLOAN is a great coach, probably best in NBA, or at least top 3.

then Sheed sat out 5 games, lost them all except the Bulls game, then during the trade another losing streak.

12. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">Utah won 1 more game, because of plenty of reasons

the main reason, JERRY SLOAN is a great coach, probably best in NBA, or at least top 3.

then Sheed sat out 5 games, lost them all except the Bulls game, then during the trade another losing streak.</div>

Matt Harpring sat out 50+ games. Andrei Kirilenko sat out 5 games, during which the Jazz went 0-5. Injuries are a part of the NBA season, there's no way around it unless you go injury free for a season which is almost impossible since they're 82 game seasons.

13. DMiles4MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">Matt Harpring sat out 50+ games. Andrei Kirilenko sat out 5 games, during which the Jazz went 0-5. Injuries are a part of the NBA season, there's no way around it unless you go injury free for a season which is almost impossible since they're 82 game seasons.</div>

did you not read where i said JERRY SLOAN is probably the best coach in the NBA?????

If Sloan can coach them scrubs to a over .500 record, imagine what he would do with the Blazers talent.

Mo Cheeks is a horrible x's and o's coach, none of the plays he draws up out of timeouts EVER work.

14. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">did you not read where i said JERRY SLOAN is probably the best coach in the NBA?????

If Sloan can coach them scrubs to a over .500 record, imagine what he would do with the Blazers talent.

Mo Cheeks is a horrible x's and o's coach, none of the plays he draws up out of timeouts EVER work.</div>

Where did I argue that Jerry Sloan wasn't a good coach? Just look at my sig which explains my feelings toward his coaching ability. There's no point in arguing about Sloan's coaching when I agree with you. All I was saying was that you can't blame injuries for a teams record. They happen to everyone, some more than others. The Kings seem to always have a key player down, Webber was out for more than half the season and they were one of the top teams in the NBA at the end of the regualr season record wise. Now, Bobby Jackson is out for the playoffs and they're in the second round with homecourt advantage thanks to a road win.

15. DMiles4MVP

lol @ comparing the Blazers to the Kings, the Kings are an all-star team basically, arent they supposed to be able to win with injuries? i mean they only have 3 all-stars, 6th man, and the most clutch PG in the NBA. lol come on now

16. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">lol @ comparing the Blazers to the Kings, the Kings are an all-star team basically, arent they supposed to be able to win with injuries? i mean they only have 3 all-stars, 6th man, and the most clutch PG in the NBA. lol come on now</div>

All I'm trying to say, is that you can't balme injuries for a teams record. The fact that the Blazers had injuries doesn't prove they were a better team than the Jazz in the 03-04 season. The Kings could let it get in the way, but they dont. They don't blame injuries for their teams record and every team has injuries. They aren't the only team either, I could use the Jazz as a example for a team who plays with injuries and doesn't let it get in the way, now please get this thread back on topic or I'll have to lock it. For the record, this season the Kings have 2 All Stars (Peja and Brad Miller). If you were referring to 6th man of the year, they don't have that now either.

17. DMiles4MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tmac15:</div><div class="quote_post">now please get this thread back on topic or I'll have to lock it.</div>

you can lock it, i dont really care, i proved my point. and maybe if you weren't in New Zealand you would know more about the Blazers [​IMG]

18. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DMiles4MVP:</div><div class="quote_post">you can lock it, i dont really care, i proved my point. and maybe if you weren't in New Zealand you would know more about the Blazers [​IMG]</div>

How's that funny? Your the only one laughing and you didn't prove anything apart from your lack off knowledge when it comes to the Jazz. Please make sure you know what your talking about the next time you come in here.

Thread closed.