JBB's Official Member Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wtwalker77, Jun 11, 2004.

1. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<font color="navy"><font size="6"><div align="center"><font face="Impact"><u>The JBB Member 2004 Mock Draft</u></font></div>
    </font></font>

Okay, two trades have gone done that have radically changed the landscape of the draft and before the night is over you can expect at least two more. As you can see we've made some big changes to the draft, but that's all part of our new theme for this draft (which should be the theme of every mock draft out there) and that is, "We guarantee nothing!" Nonetheless, here's the way we see things:

<font color="Blue"><font size="4">1. Orlando</font></font>-Dwight Howard
    http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v296/fgrep15/JBB%20Draft%20Pics/Howard_Magic.bmp">

It
    <font color="MediumTurquoise"><font size="4">2. Charlotte</font></font>-Emeka Okafor
    [​IMG]

About the only thing we know for sure in this draft is that the Bobcats will take whoever Orlando doesn't. Bickerstaff is thrilled to get Okafor here.

<font color="DarkRed"><font size="4">3. Chicago</font></font>-Andre Iguodala
    [​IMG]

Chicago can go in a lot of directions with this pick. They need a small forward and a shooting guard and have the flexibility to take either one here. Iguodala's ability to play the 2 and 3 would allow them to keep that flexibility going into the #7 pick.

<font color="Red"><font size="4">4. Los Angeles</font></font>-Shaun Livingston
    [​IMG]

Currently this is a three horse race between Harris, Gordon, and Livingston with no clear favorite. Our guess is that the Clippers go with potential over production and take Livingston.

<font color="Blue"><font size="4">5. Dallas</font></font>-Luol Deng
    [​IMG]

We said Washington might do something unpredictable with the #5 pick and they did. Now we expect Dallas to do the same. We've caught wind of a rumor involving a Dallas/Philly trade. It looks like Dallas will take Deng here and swap him to Philly for Podkolzine who the Sixers will take at #9.

<font color="Yellow"><font size="4">6. Atlanta</font></font>-Josh Childress
    [​IMG]

Knight recently listed his criteria for a draft pick. He has to be long, athletic, and able to play multiple positions. He went on to say that he's identified 6 guys that he likes and would take whichever falls to him. Rumors coming out of Atlanta say that Knight likes two guys in particular: Childress and Iguodala. Since Iguodala is off the board, it looks like Childress will be their guy. Look for Atlanta to sit on their hands and hope Josh Smith falls to #17.

<font color="DarkRed"><font size="4">7. Chicago</font></font>-Luke Jackson
    [​IMG]

As we said, Chicago will have the flexibility to go in a few directions here. We hear they're high on Gordon and Jackson and both are possibilities here. But the added rumor of a Chicago/Indiana trade where Chicago would send Jackson to Indiana for Harrington is enough to make Jackson our pick at #7.

<font color="Purple"><font size="4">8. Toronto</font></font>-Ben Gordon
    [​IMG]

This is Toronto's dream scenario: being able to pick between Harris and Gordon. While they need more of a traditional point guard like Harris, our guess is that Gordon's potential is too great to pass on.

<font color="Sienna"><font size="4">9. Philadelphia</font></font>-Pavel Podkolzine
    [​IMG]

Okay, this is the second half of that Dallas trade. Podkolzine should definately be available here. Apparently the rumor is that Philly will send Robinson's expiring contract along with Podkolzine to Dallas for Deng and...get this...Michael Finley. If this rumor is true, Dallas is getting robbed.

<font color="DarkRed"><font size="4">10. Cleveland</font></font>-Devin Harris
    [​IMG]

Like Toronto, Cleveland must think they're dreaming. Very few scenarios had Harris falling to Cleveland, if he does, they'll take him and not look back. If Harris is gone, expect them to either take Nelson or take Jackson and do the deal with Indiana if Chicago hasn't beaten them to it.

<font color="Orange"><font size="4">11. Golden State</font></font>-Andris Biedrins
    [​IMG]

Rumors persist that Golden State targeted Biedrins months ago and gave him a promise very early on. He's only worked out for a few teams, and those workouts have been mediocore enough to keep him from getting a promise from a team any higher. Nevertheless, Biedrins should bring the kind of athletic ability and defensive prowise to Golden State that has made Kirilenko a fan favorite in Utah. If Biedrins is off the board, expect Golden State to take a chance on Podkolzine.

<font color="SeaGreen"><font size="4">12. Seattle</font></font>-Al Jefferson
    [​IMG]

The late rumor is that Seattle has narrowed the choice down to two guys: Al Jefferson and Kirk Snyder. While taking Jefferson doesn't seem to make sense since they drafted Colison last year, we're hearing Seattle is leaning towards him, so he's the pick. Also, if Jackson should somehow manage to fall, Seattle would jump at the chance to take him, but he should be long gone by #12.

<font size="4">13. Portland</font>-Kirk Snyder
    [​IMG]

Expect to hear a sigh of relief coming out of Portland if Snyder is still available. He's been rumored to go as high as #7, but the most likely scenario is that he falls to #13.

<font color="Indigo"><font size="4">14. Utah</font></font>-Sergei Monia
    [​IMG]

Utah is high on two guys: Monia and Araujo. Since Boston is also high on Monia, don't expect him to fall past #14. Utah will then look to take Araujo at #16.

2. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> <font size="4"><font color="#48d1cc">4. Charlotte</font></font>-Josh Childress
    [​IMG]

Okay, here's where it gets really interesting. Technically, the Bobcats have needs at every position since they have no players. We won't know for sure what they'll be doing until after the expansion draft, but for now we'll take our best guess. The typical way to build a team is to start on the outside and move in. That means taking a center or point guard first since they're the two hardest positions to fill. You also want to take the guy with the most potential, not caring about his ability to produce right away, since expansion teams aren't expected to win right away. Now you might think that this would provide a pleasant problem for Bernie Bickerstaff because the two guys with the most star potential should be there at #4 and they happen to be a center, Pavel Podkolzine and a point guard, Shaun Livingston. But not so fast, Bickerstaff has said he doesn't want to take a high schooler, so that rules out Livingston. And taking a foreigner that few people have heard of is not the way to get the locals excited about their new team, so that rules out Podkolzine. So what's left? Our guess is that they take Childress. Bickerstaff is high on him and he's been performing extremely well in his private workouts. He has limited star potential, but he's the safest pick.
    </div>
    Wow this is a stretch even for Childress. This might not be such a challenge after all. :mrgreen:

3. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow this is a stretch even for Childress. This might not be such a challenge after all. </div>

Waaaaiiiiitttt a second. This from the guy who thinks Ben Gordon is going to go #4?!? It's going to be between Livingston, Iguodala, and Childress. Livingston is the guy they should take because he's got the most superstar potential, but Bernie doesn't want to take a high schooler. So its really between Childress and Iguodala. Ben Gordon doesn't even enter the picture until #6 AT THE EARLIEST.

By the way, what are you mods going to do once Andriuskevicius pulls out of the draft?

I'm afraid the members have the mods... [​IMG]

4. wtwalker77

[quote name='CourtVision']Wow this is a stretch even for Childress. This might not be such a challenge after all. QUOTE]

Waaaaiiiiitttt a second. This from the guy who thinks Ben Gordon is going to go #4?!? It's going to be between Livingston, Iguodala, and Childress. Livingston is the guy they should take because he's got the most superstar potential, but Bernie doesn't want to take a high schooler. So its really between Childress and Iguodala. Ben Gordon doesn't even enter the picture until #6 AT THE EARLIEST.

By the way, what are you mods going to do once Andriuskevicius pulls out of the draft?

I'm afraid the members have the mods... [​IMG]

5. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Dwight Howard will be the #1 pick. [​IMG]

6. jbbCourtVision

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wtwalker77:</div><div class="quote_post">Waaaaiiiiitttt a second. This from the guy who thinks Ben Gordon is going to go #4?!? It's going to be between Livingston, Iguodala, and Childress. Livingston is the guy they should take because he's got the most superstar potential, but Bernie doesn't want to take a high schooler. So its really between Childress and Iguodala. Ben Gordon doesn't even enter the picture until #6 AT THE EARLIEST.

I'm afraid the members have the mods... [​IMG]</div>
    In regards to Marty Andrkajsflkjds we will have an updated mock at the end of the weekend.

BTW Choosing a potential ROY at four would not be a bad choice for the Bobcats. But so many things can be done at #4 that limiting yourself to just Childress and Iguodala and building a team around them is a stretch. I know Bickerstaff does not want a highschooler with his pick but most of the time in drafts you would choose the BPA, which would be Livingston.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Ben Gordon is the kind of guy who you can build your offense around, with Josh Childress you can't. The guy is a decent scorer and decent rebounder and can play the 2 and the 3 well but he should be no higher than 9th overall. Ben Gordon is a better verison of Jason Terry who can be like Chauncey Billups. Who can play the point and the two guard while being a good shooter, great at attacking the basket and finding the open man.

Having Ben at 4 is more than realistic but Josh? Bad move.

Shaun Livingston can go anywhere from 4th to 7th.

8. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Childress will not go that early dude, I agree with Allnet, Ben Gordon is a better selection at teh 4..I like Washington's pick though...Eddie jordan loves the kid and I think he suits Washington Well, only thing that concerns me is Larry Hughes would have to leave, at 6'6 Iggy cant play the PF, and will have troubles at the SF.

9. jbbCourtVision

Damn dude you got [​IMG] on your own draft thread. :mrgreen:

If Childress stays up then this may not be such a challenge......Mods over members buddy. :thumbsup:

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

You know what, I'm thinking Charlotte would rather take Igoudala than Childress at the 4, and I've also been hearing reports of them taking a closer look at Livngston because they feel guys like Deng and Childress come around a lot, but a guy like Livingston is a rare comodity.

11. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Dude I would change it to Charlotte taking Livingston...it is the clear pick...

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Dude I would change it to Charlotte taking Livingston...it is the clear pick...</div>
    I think Livingston would eventually end up with the Clippers and Dwight Howard with the Bobcats. While a talent like Shaun is rare, a player with the potential of Howard is one in a million. That alone should propel Charlotte to trade up for the second pick. Even if Charlotte decides to pick at fourth, I won't expect it to be Childress. Unless his stock changes drastically over the next week, I'm thinking he'll be taken at the 6th-10th spots.

13. wtwalker77

Hey, don't impute Bickerstaff's stupidity on me. If he thinks Childress is the guy to build around, that's his prerogative. I don't, but that?s not what a mock draft is, now is it? If I were Bickerstaff, I would take Livingston first, Iguodala second (assuming Deng is off the board), and probably anyone else but Childress after that. C'mon now, I'm a Cal grad, do you know how much it pains me to put a Stanford guy that high? Nothing would make me happier than being able to drop Childress and put Livingston or Iguodala in his place, but I haven?t heard anything that makes me think that yet.

I can only go by what Bickerstaff has said and what I think that means. Right now that's Childress going #4. I think it?s a bad pick by Bickerstaff, but I think that's the guy he's going with.

As for Gordon, here's the thing: he's talented, but a guy like Gordon comes along every year. Last year it was Wade, in 2002 it was Wagner, in 2001 it was Arenas, in 2000 it was Crawford, in 1999 it was Francis, in 1998 it was Hughes, etc. To a certain extent, you can say the same thing about Childress, but for guys like him, its more like every couple of years. An expansion franchise SHOULD look for the guy with the most star potential, especially if he plays a position that?s hard to fill. That SHOULD make Livingston the pick, but Bickerstaff apparently doesn?t see things that way, at least not yet.

...don?t hate me because I?m brilliant? [​IMG]

14. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Livingston would eventually end up with the Clippers and Dwight Howard with the Bobcats. While a talent like Shaun is rare, a player with the potential of Howard is one in a million. That alone should propel Charlotte to trade up for the second pick. Even if Charlotte decides to pick at fourth, I won't expect it to be Childress. Unless his stock changes drastically over the next week, I'm thinking he'll be taken at the 6th-10th spots.</div>

Exactly what I think. Even if the order staysthe same, I feel LA taking Shaun. Their greatest need is a PG and Shaun is a big one and a good one. Howard wuold be playing behind Brand. Unless Brand moves to center, don't expect to see huge minutes from Howard if he goes to LA.

Also, if Josh Smith falls down to the #10 pick which is the Cavs, I think he will get picked by them. They are in need of a good SF and PG, but I feel SF is the biggest need. If they hold on to McInnis, then a SF id definitely the greatest need. Childress, Igoudala, and Smith are best choices I think if they fall that far. Devin Harris would be a good pick there but I think he will get picked at the 8th spot by the Raptors. Gordan I don't think will fall that far to 8.

It also seems like Deng is a sure pick at 3. He says he has no problem playing with Chicago and Chicago is in need of a SF. I think Chicago might make a trade, though. Maybe trade their pick and a big man down to someone in need of a big man and involve another player in there. Deng can fall down in the draft. At #3 it may be high, but I think if they stay at #3 then they will pick Deng.

15. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

I posted in the Bobcats thread that they're better off with Gordon with the number 4 pick. So I'm with CV and Allnet with this one.

I also think the Jazz will select Humphries with their first pick.

16. wtwalker77

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting InNETSweTrust:</div><div class="quote_post">I also think the Jazz will select Humphries with their first pick.</div>

I would be very surprised if that happened when guys like Monya, Araujo, Snyder, Jackson, Samardziski, and Ramos could all be available. At the very earliest, the Jazz would take Humphries with their second pick, because Boston is looking for a sf at #15 and the Jazz will probably take the sf of their choice at #14 rather than hope Boston doesn't take their guy.

17. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ben Gordon is the kind of guy who you can build your offense around</div>

You don't make a 6'2" pg (with a mostly nontraditional pg skill set, BTW) the center piece of your offense. The kid isn't Jason Kidd, who has a well developed ability to pass and the ability to KNOW WHEN TO SHOOT AND NOT SHOOT, which Gordon does not possess right now.

We may be wrong on this call, but not about putting Gordon at that pick, IMO.

18. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">You don't make a 6'2" pg (with a mostly nontraditional pg skill set, BTW) the center piece of your offense. The kid isn't Jason Kidd, who has a well developed ability to pass and the ability to KNOW WHEN TO SHOOT AND NOT SHOOT, which Gordon does not possess right now.

We may be wrong on this call, but not about putting Gordon at that pick, IMO.</div>

At that selection he is and certainly ahead of Childress, the guy may be 6'3 but he is a natural scorer that gets up for big games. He could easily be a 20 point scorer in this league. He has all the tools to make it happen. I never said he is a guy you could build a franchise around but for an expansion team he is the right guy to pick. An instant scorer is really what they need in their first NBA season.

Although they may not go with that, many expect Charlotte to take Shaun Livingston with that 4th pick. And to be honest It would still be a good decision, however They would regret picking Josh that high.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

Not even 6'3, he's 6'2.

20. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">Not even 6'3, he's 6'2.</div>

Hardly a big difference, certainly not important enough to make a full ledged reply about it.

I managed to meet Ben a few months ago and he did look taller than 6'2 but again most of the time the measurements are hardly ever exactly right with the NBA these days.