Jeff Hornacek as future Jazz coach?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Recently, there have been a lot of rumours that Jeff Hornacek will become the Utah Jazz coach after Jerry Sloan retires. Hornacek was a candidite for the Celtics job recently. Although Sloan signed a contract extension at the start of this season, his wife Bobbye was diagnosed with cancer in mid-season and Jerry Sloan is getting on a bit now and may want to give it up soon. His replacement is rumoured to be Jeff Hornacek, who played for the Jazz back in the glory days.
    What are your thoughts on Jeff Hornacek becoming Jazz coach?

2. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I would love to have Jeff for a coach, I think he would be great. But I think if Sloan decides to retire this year or in the next, say, 3 years, I think his replacement will be Phil Johnson. Johnson has been his top assisstant for 16 years, and he has been a succeful coach in the past (He won the Coach of the Year with the K.C. Kings). The Jazz has a coaching spot open after Natt moved got the assistant coach job at Cleveland. This could open up the spot for Jeff, but Natt was the big man coach, so I don't know if they'll look at Jeff for that or not. I personally think Thurl Bailey would be great to replace Natt as the big man coach, and hire Jeff as another posistion. I guess thats a long answer for a short question.

3. Stockton

Stockton JBB

^^ Good post. I can't see the Jazz employing Hornacek over Johnson. Hornacek does have a good chance at becoming an assistant coach, but not a head coach. Phil Johnson has been with the Jazz for 16 seasons, and would of learned a lot of things from Jerry Sloan while he was there. If Hornacek was made head coach, the style of play would be different, and I think the way Utah has played which made them successful would go. IMO, the MVP of the last season for Utah was Jerry Sloan, and even though he must leave eventually, Utah wouldn't be losing much with Phil Johnson. Hornacek would work well with the guards though, and hopefully can teach them to score, which we need.

4. Shanny system

Shanny system NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Yeah, I really hope that Jeff would settle for an assistant coaching job with the Jazz because Phil D. is getting the head coaching spot once (shudders) Jerry Sloan leaves our beloved Jazz. However, maybe he would take it because in reality, he would most likely have the oppourtunity to get the Head job in a few years (I really don't think Phil Johnson would coach for all that long). Hornecek would be a great coach though, and with his history with the Jazz, he would be greatly respected by the players and loved by the fans. That's the ideal coach right there.